Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S/E Air Filter mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:32 PM
HaggisMan14
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/E Air Filter mod

From doing some reading on sportster.org...it was saying that a S/E Air filter is more high flow than the K&N filter. When installing the S/E air filter do you need to change any of the backing plate stuff, or do you simply change out the filter, and then rejet?

Marc

Old 05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: S/E Air Filter mod

The SE AC is suppose to use a K&N filter. The back plate supplied is metal instead of plastic and you will proably have to rejet the carb. That said, before I would get ANY air filter, I would check out the Ramflo unit. I just installed one on my 1200, replacing the SE AC, and what a difference it makes! Check out at www.trak-tek.com. I used the 400 model. Tim

Old 05-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

That is the Old School type of filter that is nice to have.....

But after a few years, you have to replace the foam outer ring.....

It will degrade and get very brittel....

When you go to rinse it out and replace the oil in it, it will begin to disintegrate....

But they flow like not having an A/C at all.....

More air means you can add more fuel....

Tuned right, you can have an XL that can be a real ripper....

You can also look at Uni Filter (K-N) Premium... It is an oil charged Foam unit as well

Only thing, it doesn't fit the "New" Sportster....

Old 05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
HaggisMan14
Cruiser

Tim, that's an awesome filter... Do you have any pics of what it looks like installed on your bike? What Jets are you using now? I have a 1200 sporty sport, and regular rejet says i should use a 200 jet....would it get bumped up even higher since it's such a high flow filter? Lastly how often do you replace the filter...do you clean it..or just replace it once a year?

I just got my bike, and was probably going to put a new airfilter on since it's the beginning of the season...but if I could do this whole install myself for a few extra bucks...I just may go that route. Did you install it yourself?

Bob - how often would you have to reoil these? Would you use the K&N oiling kits?

Thanx for the info guys

Marc

Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

You re-oil it when you clean it.....

NO K-N Filter oil.... Go to the Honda Dealer, get SPECTRO AIR FILTER OIL.....

It is very thick and tacky... Catches everything.... You dont saturate it to the point of it drips....

You pour some on it and squeeze it through, ensuring that the BLUE color is through the filter....

These types of filters get VERY DIRTY VERY QUICKLY......

Every 5K you are cleaning it out.....

If you live in a very dusty or dirty area, then you will do it at 2.5K....

Old 05-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't taken any pics yet. It looks just like on the web site though...very, very cool. My bike is a 1995 1200XL and came std with a 40 slow and a 170 main which was rejetted with a 42 and a 180 to acomadate the SE air cleaner and SE slip ons. I did not have to rejett for the Ramflo. I installed using their inst and the only problem was a slight oil leak on the rear breather bolt. I took it off and used Permatex on the assembly and have had no leaks since. Very easy. They say to clean every 5000 miles with soap and water and reoil using chain saw bar oil.
The Ramflo is just too old school cool! You can hear it sucking air as you drive along! Suppose to flow 400cfm. I also routed the breather down below the bike and have had no mess on or under my bike since. Can you tell I'm a little pleased? Tim

Old 05-05-2006, 01:12 AM
XL4me
Cruiser

ShovelHead Bob - Only thing, it doesn't fit the "New" Sportster....
What would you recommend for an 05 Sportster ?

Old 05-07-2006, 12:15 PM
rbcss
Tourer

the newer style se kit has paper paper washable filter with a plastic backing plate. if you go with the se make sure it's not the BLUE one. they seem to get pin holes in the paper filter. make sure you get a black one in your kit, harley revised them. my dealer talked me into buying one when I did my stage 1, but after all the trouble with the se I wasn't was comterble with the se kit. so I bouht a arlen ness big sucker that has a k&n filter. I'm going to install this weekend. I'm not saying that other air filters are bad (like the ram flow ect) but I have used k&n for years and I like the product.