Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use E3 plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 AM
hollywood1959
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, that's all I wanted to know, The first few answers I got were not very clear, Just wanted to know if a better plug was out there! So what I get from you boys, it's just media hype. They all run about the same. I will go with the platinum plugs. Part of my problem was BOTH plugs were gapped wrong from the factory! Checked the plugs when I did the first oil change. One was at .028 the other was .035. Go figure? It's gotta be .038 to .042. I'm gonna write a real nasty letter to someone at Harley today! Take that to the bank! Thanks again for all the imput............HOLLYWOOD

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketmangb

But to say the Delco R45TS will out KVA say a Champion RBL13Y or an NGK BPR5FS is iffy at best
Make it intertesting and throw in the Autolite 15

Put 2 in 1-2
2 in 3-4
2 in 5-6
2 in 7-8
Then look at the scope
No, take 8 plugs of different manufacturers all for the specific application and put them in. then look at the scope, which is what we did. That's how we found out the R45TS was superior in that test. Iffy has nothing to do with it, the plug either does or doesn't put out more.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
hollywood1959
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is the verdict? Should we just run the standard plug, or some aftermarket bullsh#t? I know I opened a can of worm's on this subject, many thanks to all of you!
HOLLYWOOD gonna go for a ride, see you next time.......................

Last edited by hollywood1959; 04-14-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manufacturers pick plugs that work best for the engine design they built.I work on cars for a living.If it came with NGK it gets NGK back in it.Gm cars get A/C Delco.Ford gets Motorcraft.I used to work at a shop that stocked Bosch plugs,platinum by the way and they were the biggest headache I ever had concerning tune up type work.I had an older S-10 that came back with a multiple misfire.3 of the plugs had bridged electrodes from the platinum coming out.It was the correct part number I double checked.When my bike needs plugs it will get the factory installed replacement.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Lickety Split
Road Master

Originally Posted by fojenx
Hey guys, I've been searching threads on here for several hours and looks like you all could help. My bikes been running like crap, so here's the scoop on the scoot:
2008 Fatboy Stage 1 download w/ V&H bigshots and K&N filter.
8500 miles currently
The rear plug looks VERY light grey and the front looks OK in color but deposits on the base of the ground electrode. Exhaust is about the same in color. No pop on decel. Sluggish on accel, smooths out about mid throttle but seems to run hot. I run ethanol free 93 consistently.

So should I:
Be concerned i might have debri somewhere in the line since I painted the bike over the winter?
Consider a tune (if that is your thoughts, I will not bother you with it on this forum)?
Buy new plugs and not worry about it if it's running fine?
Go to the dealer and use my best tool - the checkbook.

Thanks.
Put some of them fancy smancy E3 plugs in there and acouple cans of that Harley air, and change your blinker fluid and you'll be good. You can trust me, I read it on the internet.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:47 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
No, take 8 plugs of different manufacturers all for the specific application and put them in. then look at the scope, which is what we did. That's how we found out the R45TS was superior in that test. Iffy has nothing to do with it, the plug either does or doesn't put out more.
Just a side note, but you would have had to also measure to make sure each spark plug wire was transmitting the exact same amount of spark to those individual plugs being tested to verify that each plug was performing to the degree that your test reported. The shorter plug wires would have transmitted more spark due to less resistance for the shorter length of the wires.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 AM
deadhead111469
Tourer

Originally Posted by hollywood1959
Do you people know anything about physics? Or is it just, (I start my bike and ride it).? So tell me what is the difference is between 87 or 93 octane? So what oil is better? It all comes from the same cow you dumb ***! It's the things they change or add to make it work better. As with a spark plug. The metals they use didn't exsist 20 years ago. Am I making any sense? Don't mock me for asking a question again! HOLLYWOOD
I know the difference between octane...being an ex-tanker driver, stores order 87 octane in bulk and when that tank is full....they have the 89 and 93 tanks topped off with 87 octane....so why pay that extra money....unless you are running a high compression engine 87 octane is fine. If you really think you need more octane put in 87 and add a bottle of 104+ octane boost, one bottle does many fill-ups.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
07 dyna man
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default plugs

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
And here we have someone that has never been around a scope long enough to see there are some major differences in plugs from one manufacturer to the next even though the plug is supposed to be for the same application. If a plug is a plug then why would there be better ones out there? Don't believe it? OK, take either plug out and put in a plug from wherever. Plug the bike into a scope and watch the KVA output difference between the stock plug and the aftermarket plug. Some times you will find the stock plug doesn't have the same KVA output the aftermarket plug does. Some plugs foul out easier than others too. I run the Screamin Eagle Triple Platinum and I am on the same set of plugs I was 3 years ago.
i run the se tripple platnum theryre great plugs i can tell a differance in the way the bike runs and i also indexed them

Last edited by 07 dyna man; 06-05-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer

lets not get started on heat ranges for Harleys
I went down 2 heat ranges to try and kill some NGK plugs and couldnt hurt em !

Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Default Plugs

Originally Posted by 07 dyna man
theryre great plugs i can tell a differance in the way the bike runs and i also indexed them
7/11
I hope that scope comment wasnt directed at me

I may have been using an o scope when you were in 3 corner shorts.

Oh and 7 out line away !

Quick Reply: Anybody use E3 plugs?