Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding without front fender - fork brace recommended?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
snidermire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding without front fender - fork brace recommended?

I went all last season without my front fender and I don't mind any of the "negatives" of doing so. My question is, should I be running a fork brace for alignment/safety reasons? I didn't notice any problems or extra vibrations last year, but my dealer just mentioned I should rig up something so that the wheel doesn't go out of alignment. Is this just there way of covering their a*@ for liability purposes, or is it recommended to throw on some extra support for the wheel?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The front fender does very little to add support and keep things straight....Think about it. You can easily bend it with your hand....However, a fork brace will greatly improve handling and braking.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made one for my bike. I think they look cool.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this the "fork brace" you are talking about? To me that looks more like a fender brace, than a fork brace?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
snidermire
Cruiser

no i was talking more of a fork brace that mounts between the fork tubes and not to the fender mounts. I was riding all last year with no problems, but the dealer said that the wheel would get out of alignment if you run it for long enough without a fender. I didn't think that was possible but I figured I would ask to be on the safe side. I'd prefer not to put a brace in there since I'm comfortable with the way it rides as is, but if it's a safety issue I'd like to address it in some way (fork brace).

Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by snidermire
I was riding all last year with no problems, but the dealer said that the wheel would get out of alignment if you run it for long enough without a fender.
Did he say how long it would take?

A fork brace wouldn't hurt, but depending on your riding habits, may not help enough that you'd notice. Like others have said, The fender mount isn't that strong and doesn't need to be.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:53 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the drainage channels carved in our freeways I opted to run a SuperBrace on my bike; it cured the "wigglies".

Old 04-09-2009, 06:37 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your dealer is smokin crack, you don't need a brace unless you are some kind of canyon racer.
I mean look at that flimsy *** bracket Harley uses to hold the stock fender, that sure ain't a brace and there are 1000's of Harley's using that as a brace.
Don't sweat it, and just remember anything a Harley dealer tells you has and ulterior motive (you know trying to pry your wallet out of your pocket)!!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 PM
snidermire
Cruiser

yea that's what i figured! It didn't make sense to me but I thought I'd get some other opinions anyways

thanks for the input!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As others here stated, fender provides NO bracing effect.

A fork brace is always a good idea, especially if you run single disc brake and tend to ride harder than 80 year old.

BUT.....you gotta be careful when you install it to not force the forks out of alignment or lock them into an already out of align position....

If the forks are already slightly out of alignment with each other, they will tend to bind when compressed instead of flexing like they do without the brace. This binding will cause your front shocks to not compress and rebound as quickly and fully as they should.

yes, install a brace, but take care to do it properly.

Quick Reply: riding without front fender - fork brace recommended?