Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with painter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Problem with painter...

Does anyone have any idea how long it should take to paint the fenders & tank on a sportster? The tank and fenders one color & painting shark jaws on the sides of the tank, like WWII warplanes. A guy i know does all kind of automotive stuff out of his house(as his job) & offered to paint my tins. We agreed on a price of $300 + supplies and that it would take two weeks. It took 2 1/2 weeks to get just the fenders back. At that point, the tank was painted & waiting on the graphics. Yesturday was a month & i still dont have the tank back. Of course there are all kinds of excuses on why its taking so long. I feel I have been more than patient and simply dont feel he has kept up his part of the agreement. Any suggestions? Are my expectations unreasonable at this point? Am i getting any kind of a deal considering I am invested $640 so far, and this isnt including a clear coat? Any feedback is appreciated as im not sure how to proceed...

Chris

Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I say you're getting hosed, but others may say that you're getting a deal for $640. It all really depends on how well the paint comes out. You could be spending thousands on a high name paint job. But I still say that your getting hosed due to the agreement being $300 & two weeks.....& what's with this not including the clear coat? Did he lube you up before he F***ed you? JMHO.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You are getting a steal at that price. Have patience as if you want it to look good he must be able to take his time.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a good price, however you should not have paid him until the work was done. Sometimes getting the money makes them work on it a little more.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Bulpitt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
I say you're getting hosed, but others may say that you're getting a deal for $640. It all really depends on how well the paint comes out. You could be spending thousands on a high name paint job. But I still say that your getting hosed due to the agreement being $300 & two weeks.....& what's with this not including the clear coat? Did he lube you up before he F***ed you? JMHO.
Doesnt include clear coat because i wanted it to be flat green with glossy jaws and he claimed the clear coat would be one or the other. I keep the bike garaged so i didnt think it would be a big deal.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Bulpitt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by midnight2005
it is a good price, however you should not have paid him until the work was done. Sometimes getting the money makes them work on it a little more.
I have only paid half so far, when i took delivery of the fenders.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:38 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

It must be the fumes,most painters are plain f%^%ed up

Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good paint jobs take time. Be patient. If the work is decent the price is more than fair...

Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker Trash
Good paint jobs take time. Be patient. If the work is decent the price is more than fair...
What he said. It took a while for my tins to come back, you also have to remember that once the paint is done it still had to "Dry" before a painter will ship. If he ships to early the clear coat is still "soft" and you will end up with major headaches trying to get the surface scratches and swirls out of the clear. The price you got is a steal, and a good paint job should not be rushed, talk to the guy, see where he is at on the paint. Most painters are running several projects at the same time.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulpitt
Doesnt include clear coat because i wanted it to be flat green with glossy jaws and he claimed the clear coat would be one or the other. I keep the bike garaged so i didnt think it would be a big deal.
Well, OK then. That clears the clear coat issue up then. But $300+ supplies for a flat one color paint job & a shark mouth...........Seems awfully long to wait and pricey from your paint design description. Remeber this is just my opinion/$0.02. I seem to remember 6o66er having roughly the same paint job from rattle cans on his bike when I first saw it on here, before he switch'ed it to the hellcat. I do agree that a good paint job is worth waiting for. Maybe he's tweaking the mouth for a really great look.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 04-08-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem with painter...