Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with painter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soup7562
What he said. It took a while for my tins to come back, you also have to remember that once the paint is done it still had to "Dry" before a painter will ship. If he ships to early the clear coat is still "soft" and you will end up with major headaches trying to get the surface scratches and swirls out of the clear. The price you got is a steal, and a good paint job should not be rushed, talk to the guy, see where he is at on the paint. Most painters are running several projects at the same time.
Exactly! You don't want the paint to be "tacky" when installing. took my painter about a month and a half to do a simple phantom flame job on mine. I was shocked to find what I waited for was extraordinary results. I now have a paintjob that is so deep I feel like I could swim in the blue!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good things come to those who wait!

How did you find your painter...

Old 04-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for your advise, guess ill have to work on that patience thing(not a strong point of mine) i just hate being without my bike, went from riding 4-5 times a week to being trapped in a cage!!!

How did you find your painter...[/quote]

i bowl with the guy & he talks a good game. Just dont feel like he has been straight with me so far with timeframes, im growing tired of hearing excuses

Old 04-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Great price, and a reasonable lenght of time IMO. My only question is why did he not do all graphics at the same time?

You could always throw on some junkyard tins to make the bike rideable while you wait.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
humpyy57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with painters

I have a guy I work with painting my tank and has had it a year and a half.The god news is he is only charging me for the paint and the tank is an extra one I had.Most artistic people dont seen to have much drive.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

The real newsflash here would be if every thing went smoothly with a painter. Always have a second set of sheetmetal to give those guys, if you can't afford that don't go down the custom painter path!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
gator9999
Advanced

I guess I should consider myself lucky by your guy's standards. I paid 300 in labor + shop materials ran a 100 for the tank and front fender. They removed several small dents, primed, painted, and did a great job on ghost flames. turn around time was 2 weeks from concept meeting to pickup.

But I should add I've had this guy paint or repair 5 vehicles in the past 7 years, so I have a long working relationship with him.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Thet
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're being ****ed dude.
I've worked in the automotive repair and refinish industry for a few years, and yea... I can paint a car for $600. Hell, I redid my 71 El Camino, with all high end paint, came out to like $550. That's including clear, base, primer, sealer.
He'd better be doing one a-****ing-mazing job.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Yatez004
Tourer

Originally Posted by Thet
I've worked in the automotive repair and refinish industry for a few years, and yea... I can paint a car for $600. Hell, I redid my 71 El Camino, with all high end paint, came out to like $550. That's including clear, base, primer, sealer.

Wow...Want to do mine? You must be one busy fella if you get your materials and your labor is that cheap.

I never realized until I helped last year and this year on paint how long of a process it is, with 2 people it takes a long time. This probably isnt his only job hes got going also. Be patient nobody hear minus a select few realize how long it takes to do custom paint. Many think you do but you have absolutly no idea.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Bulpitt
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thet

I have the fenders back & they look great...wet sanded and polished to a near mirror finish(although the whole reason there isnt a clear coat is to keep the matte look) I guess my biggest beef is the b.s. from the guy. If he would have told me would take 1 month, I would have prepared for it mentally. He lives 3 blocks from me so ive been to his house to pick up finished stuff that wasnt finished or to check out progress about 8 times, and im not exagerating. When all these factors are added together...

Quick Reply: Problem with painter...