Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I've made a terrible mistake

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Just curious what mileage you get on your Sporty 7/11. My 05 883C would get 50mpg on the highway and then about 47 or so after the 1250 conversion. The Street Bob gets 50mpg on the highway, but only about 35 in the city.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before this turns into a 100 count thread on which is the better bike or which has more HP, you guys need to stop and take a big breath. The original poster is uncomfortable on the bigger bike most likely because he is new to Harleys. His first post was only 4 months ago about taking the MSF course and buying a Sportster.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:01 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Yep, that's why I suggested he try things to make his bike fit him better. Try taking a breath and looking about 9 posts above this one.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Just curious what mileage you get on your Sporty 7/11. My 05 883C would get 50mpg on the highway and then about 47 or so after the 1250 conversion. The Street Bob gets 50mpg on the highway, but only about 35 in the city.
In the box stock 1200R configuration while cruising between 55 and 60mph I pulled a best of just over 61mpg. The best I ever did on the 3.3 gallon tank was 163 miles on 2.9 gallons and yeah, I was on reserve looking for gas at that point. After swapping to the 883 28T counter, installing a full Cycle Shack system and high flow with 48/190 jets, double platinum plugs and a 4.5 gallon tank I am getting between 53 and 55 on a regular basis even 2-up. If things stay cool as far as my wrist goes I have hit a best of 58mpg while cruising backroads. If I stayed in town and played nice I could hold to 48 no problem. As it sits right now I have gone 212 miles without running out of gas but again, I was on reserve and I think it took like 3.8 gallons. The bike will be 5 years old in June. It now has near 30K on it and it is still doing awesome when it come to gas.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Wow that is damn good gas mileage. My weight when I had the Sporty probably had something to do with not getting as good of gas mileage on the highway as you do. Plus it had 883 gearing.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandog
Before this turns into a 100 count thread on which is the better bike or which has more HP, you guys need to stop and take a big breath. The original poster is uncomfortable on the bigger bike most likely because he is new to Harleys. His first post was only 4 months ago about taking the MSF course and buying a Sportster.
This is the thing, for those of us that have had numerous bikes it's a matter of buying, getting it home and then out come the tools because we already know what we'll have to adjust and out comes the list of the things we know we'll be changing and relatively soon in an effort to make that bike ours. To me, an 883 Sporty is a sweet ride and fun as long as I'm cruising backroads or around town, However, once we hit the road the 883 starts showing it's shortcomings and quick too. The 1200 Sporty to the Sport Glide isn't that big a change to me and beyond the ride I don't see the need to upgrade. I would much prefer the Dyna over the pumped up 883 though.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Mandog
Road Master

Here we go...More words of wisdom from the original Mr Sensitivity himself. I am anxiously waiting your next wise *** comment. Please continue with your expertise about weight to power ratios and HP. Anytime anyone makes the slightest negative comment ,you the Lone Ranger of Dynas feel the need to come to the rescue.

Why is that I wonder? Why do you friggen care what people say or think about the different bikes. This crap is getting so old but you are always there right in the middle of the Dyna - Sportster debate.

Instead of a helmet, you need to ride around on your Dyna with a white cowboy hat and a mask.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Relax Corndog (there's that smart *** comment ) I was merely giving out info. If you care to refute the facts I am listening otherwise can I get you some cheese for your whine?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Mandog
Road Master

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Relax Corndog (there's that smart *** comment ) I was merely giving out info. If you care to refute the facts I am listening otherwise can I get you some cheese for your whine?

Oh I get it...hahhahahah....Wine and Cheese...that means that I am not a rough and tough biker guy like you? hahahahah very clever.... Please take some time out of your very important power to weight ratios, Dyno charts and HP ratings and teach me how to be a rough and tough biker like you if you have the time in between your 6393 posts. Do you work out those rough and tough internet typing fingers or what?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:38 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member

Seriously Mandog I don't know why you have been so upset with me lately, you just need to grow some thicker skin and oh yea...

I never said there was anything wrong with a Sporty. I had one and I loved it (until it started guzzling oil like Oprah guzzles KFC) I was merely trying to supply some facts and help the original poster by suggesting he change some things to help the bike fit him better. If that makes you feel all weird in the panties I'm sorry.
I also never mentioned anything about a rough and tough biker so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Now have a nice night

Quick Reply: I think I've made a terrible mistake