Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haulen Ass And Nightster (Review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Haulen *** And Nightster (Review)

I ordered a backrest from Haulen *** in black powdercoat last Friday and received it yesterday (Friday) so shipping was fast. The order tracking page on their website didn't ever say anything other than the order details so the package was a surprise, but it's hard to complain about such fast service. (An e-mail with a tracking number would have been nice.)

The backrest itself is really well made. It's made of thick steel and is very sturdy. There are no sharp edges and the powdercoating looks flawless.

The backrest pad was a bit of a disappointment but it's a Harley-Davidson part so I can't blame Haulen ***. The pad is a bit thicker on one side so it points a bit to the right. You can't tell unless you stand over it from the back.
I've read somewhere where others have had similar comments about the quality of the backrest pad but I'm too lazy to look it up again. I'll make a shim to fix the alignment if it ever bothers me enough to overcome my laziness. I don't think it will, but I've been wrong before.
The pad is the same color as my seat. (This was a pleasant surprise.)

Mounting the rest took every bit of five minutes.
I did have to cut 1/8" off a 1" long 1/4" bolt to mount my seat with the backrest because the rest is curved differently than the fender so there is a gap that must be closed by the mounting bolt. (If you have the thumb screw type of seat mounting bolt you will not be able to use it with this backrest. I didn't have that style of bolt.)
A one inch long screw protruded too far under the fender for my comfort and a 3/4" screw couldn't get a thread started into the nut on the fender no matter how hard I pushed down on the tab. The now 7/8" long screw is just flush with the nut under the fender.

My wife is happy with the height of the rest, but this is no recliner. I like the height because it doesn't ruin the line of my bike (to my eyes anyway).

I looked at several other backrests before ordering this one, including the ones that have no sideplates and mount the way the Haulen *** rest mounts. This one is absolutely the best looking of the bunch, and I think it's the best bang for the buck. I'm happy to recommend this rest to others who want a backrest but don't want to go the route of sideplates.

I've put the pics in my HDF album but I don't know how to link to them so...

It did not occur to me to mount my saddlebags and take a picture (sorry, maybe later).

Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Lindsey141
Road Master

Thanks for the review and the pics. I think its probably a good choice for the Nightster.
Looks great from the side. The bracket on the back of the pad could look better but overall looks good.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:11 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it scratch the fender at all?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
pr_capone
Tourer

Originally Posted by papadop88
They come with a rubber mat that you lay the bracket on so things don't get scratched up.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Wa sportster
Novice

I put one on my 1200C for the same reason didn't like the side plates. I got a after market pad and put a piece of polish stainless steel on the back of it. Keeps the lines of the bike clean and keeps the kids from falling off.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by papadop88
No. The rubber pad is larger than the plate. If you don't tighten it enough it would probably mark the fender.

Originally Posted by Wa sportster
I got a after market pad and put a piece of polish stainless steel on the back of it.
Where did you get the new pad? I looked over the Harley site but didn't find anything that looked like it would fit. I thought about making my own, but I'm lazy. I may take mine apart and re-stuff it.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Grammaton thanks for the great write up and the photos... they look amazing. Sorry we didn't get the tracking to you, I'll have to check that out cause it used to automatically email but I have done a lot with the site lately and my have messed that up. We don't have a whole lot of photos of the Black brackets on the bikes yet so would it be cool if I borrowed some of your pics?

thanks again and hope you but more importantly your girl enjoys.
Jason
Haulen ***

Old 03-28-2009, 10:41 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I like the look of it and I'm not a fan of 2 up seats....that could be a nice option to keep the wife happy.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Wa sportster
Novice

Where did you get the new pad? I looked over the Harley site but didn't find anything that looked like it would fit. I thought about making my own, but I'm lazy. I may take mine apart and re-stuff it.

I pick the pad up from J.C. Whitney for less than 20 bucks.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
Grammaton thanks for the great write up and the photos... they look amazing. Sorry we didn't get the tracking to you, I'll have to check that out cause it used to automatically email but I have done a lot with the site lately and my have messed that up.
It's not a big deal. Like I said, the shipping was so fast it's hard to complain.

Originally Posted by Haulen ***
We don't have a whole lot of photos of the Black brackets on the bikes yet so would it be cool if I borrowed some of your pics?
Absolutely.

Quick Reply: Haulen Ass And Nightster (Review)