Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Turn Signal/Parking Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Filmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Turn Signal/Parking Light Question

'92 1200XL

After getting my Sporty back to normal with a real functioning brake light, I noticed that the rear turn signals don't function like the fronts. That is, the front ambers are on as running/parking lights which blink when I use the turn signal button. The rears are normally off, but blink (with the fronts) upon using the signal.

First of all, are the rear signals (with the single wire/element bulb) supposed to light up as running lights and blink just like the fronts, or are they supposed to be off and only blink for turns?

Since I'm probably going to change out all of the signals for something smaller/cooler, I have the option of using 2-element rear bulbs - one for parking lights, one for signal (in red, not amber). If/when I do install dual-filament bulb lights in the rear, can I just tap the new running light wire into the current front(s) or rear running light wire, or will that draw too much power and blow or melt something?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:19 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your rear lights are functioning correct. They are only turn signals, not running lights. Yes, if you go with different signals, you can tap the running light wires into one of the circuits under the tail light where the signals plug in. That's what I did. My signals came with three wires, (I think they were a black wire, purple wire, and blue wire). I tapped the two blue wires together & plugged them in to one circuit in the tail light and now they function as turns & runniing lights.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

HD and Kuryakyn both make a module that plugs in under you seat that will allow your rear lights to function as run/brake/turn/flash signals.

All 3 lights will act as running and brake lights and with the flash feature enabled, the 3 rear lights will flash quickly 3-4 times before going solid on when you apply the brakes.
NO ADDITION WIRING MODIFICATIONS OR BULB CHANGES ARE REQUIRED.

A great safety feature IMO.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Filmy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just found out about this module, but I wasn't aware that it would work for my model year ('92). Makes sense (and would be easy) to have the lights on all the time, and blink off/on during signal operations. The rapid light flashes, I didn't know about. I'll look into the module. Thanks, guys.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
deadhead111469
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cHarley
HD and Kuryakyn both make a module that plugs in under you seat that will allow your rear lights to function as run/brake/turn/flash signals.

All 3 lights will act as running and brake lights and with the flash feature enabled, the 3 rear lights will flash quickly 3-4 times before going solid on when you apply the brakes.
NO ADDITION WIRING MODIFICATIONS OR BULB CHANGES ARE REQUIRED.

A great safety feature IMO.

I noticed your sig pic says Dragon Master....next time you are up this way drop me a line and I'll show you some Mtn backroads that make the dragon look like a sissies trail.....