Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYING from Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
The OP's problem is from vibration typical for earlier solid motor mount Sporties. Front end suspension isn't the problem.
www.vibranator.com is not suspension related. That company has some of the same owners as ricorshocks.

The web site needs work but is functional. These things work great for handle bar vibration cancellation. They are not perfect, they don't remove all the vibration just the nasty stuff that makes your hands tingle. If they don't work for you there is a 30 day money back guarantee. The technology was morphed from high end helicopter anti vibration devices.

Brian

Old 03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ride the **** out of her, and you'll grow conditioned for what she gives back

Old 03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Marblehead: When I ride my mountain bike (rarely anymore) I use gel padded gloves. They have half finger or full finger gloves. I use them when I ride my sporty, plus they give me a better grip on the bars. Here is a link to bike nashbar: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/TopCate...41_-1_200275_N

Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XLCR4GM
Your vibration at Highway speeds is normal and probably caused by the high RPMs that you have to do to keep up at those speeds. The stock 883 Sportsters have a 27 Tooth Transmission Drive Pulley on them and the stock 1200s have a 29 Tooth Transmission Drive Pulley on them. For about $150.00 you can buy a 29 Tooth or even a 30 Tooth Transmission Drive Pulley from Harley and after it is installed on your bike your RPMs will drop so that at about 80 MPH or so you are only doing about 4,000 RPMs or so and that should help out a little bit with the vibrations. I also put on those older fatty squishier foot pegs too and boy are they nice. You can try to find them at smaller independent motorcycle shops that do work on HDs as many people throw them away and put on different foot pegs for the looks! I picked up about 6 sets of these types of foot pegs for free and all I did was to ask the local shop about them and they gave them to me because nobody wanted them. Go figure? Anyway, I hope this information addresses your issues and ride safe.
those are some nice looking "mods" on your bike Dude!

Old 03-25-2009, 02:20 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XLCR4GM
Your vibration at Highway speeds is normal and probably caused by the high RPMs that you have to do to keep up at those speeds. The stock 883 Sportsters have a 27 Tooth Transmission Drive Pulley on them and the stock 1200s have a 29 Tooth Transmission Drive Pulley on them. For about $150.00 you can buy a 29 Tooth or even a 30 Tooth Transmission Drive Pulley from Harley
When I had my 2002 S model Harley offered a 27T and a 29T counter but they also offered a 55T or a 61T rear pulley. At that time a company called Supermax Products offered 27, 28 and 29T counters as well as 58, 61, 66 and 68T rear pulleys. There is a place between roughly 2,500 and 3,000rpm where the vibration becomes somewhat acceptable. Beyond say 3,100rpm the vibration can be intense to say the least. So, figure out what speed you want to cruise at and select the available gearing to keep you in the comfort zone. You may also consider installing weight to the inside of the bar ends which will reduce ore dampen the vibration as well.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:03 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a few more ideas for ya; the longer your bars are the more vibration you'll get IE. drags vibrate less than apes.So if you can get away with shorter bars you might want to look at that. Then if you want to try some home remedies you can fill your bars, hopefully there not internally wired, with BBs, lead,concrete, whatever, the idea is to make them heavier.There's also a product called a Bar Snake which works on the same principle.There are assorted grips with foam or gel to isolate your hands from the vibration.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my 02 883 looses most of it's vibration around 73 MPH. So, that's where I ran when I used to ride that one.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The vibes are normal, get a better pair of gloves and wear thicker socks. You can also get a heavy inserts the go it the ends of the handlebars that help dampen the vibrations.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. You can change out your stock rear Pulley to a rear Pulley with less teeth but the rear Pulley is more expensive to buy compared to the Trans Pulley and they both have the same effect of lowering your RPMs at Highway speeds. There are several companies that make after market rear Pulleys and Trans Pulleys, but I will NEVER buy another all-aluminum Trans Pulley again. Mine sheared the teeth out that connect to the splines on the Transmission shaft after about 30,000 miles or so and left me stranded. Shorter Handlebars and stuffing things inside the Handlebars really only changes the frequency at which the Handlebars vibrate and it really does nothing to address the issue of the foot peg buzz either. Balance Masters make some products that are supposed to help reduce vibrations, but I have not used their products and so I can’t recommend them to you. Good luck with your project and ride safe.

Oh, and Gunner, the “Mod” in the middle was playing footsies with me during the photo shoot and wanted a ride afterwards. Of course I was only too happy to oblige the little lady’s request.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Marblehead
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Dying less

Well well.. Looks as if the vibration is here to stay. However it looks like I have some dampening options instead of wet towels. I am going to do the squishi foot pegs, foam grips,risors & Vibranators. That should keep me busy for awhile before I get more invasive. I will let you know how it comes out. Hopefully I won't have to change all the bolts to metric

Marblehead
DYING from Vibration-2009-texas-independent-day-rally-hot-rally-groesbeck-texas-065.jpg

Quick Reply: DYING from Vibration