Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork seals, and springs questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Leroy883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork seals, and springs questions

I know this has been talked about and i did search before making a post, but I didn't find exactly what i was looking for. Well I am about to embark on putting in new fork seals, the left side went out yesterday and covered the bike in fluid, anyways, im going to go ahead and do both sides. I'm pretty confident I can do this, I already have the forks off, but I can't get the darn cap on the top off. I tried using a crescent wrench but it just wanted to slip off and mess up the caps. I dont have a socket or wrench big enough. I was wondering how some of you experienced folks have done this. I am probably gonna take them into shop tomorrow and use an impact.
I also had some worries about my springs. My forks have always bottomed out pretty easy, and makes a clang noise. i.e. hitting RR tracks, normal pot holes, and coming on and off bridges where there is a change in pavement elevation. The bike has 24k miles on it. could they be worn? or is this normal and am i paranoid?

thnx in advance

Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

You will find the proper fork nut socket HERE, it's the 3rd item down on the list. Is best to loosen/remove the nuts before removing the sliders from the triple trees.

Yea, the HD fork springs su_k. Best bet IMO is a set of Progressive fork springs, around $80.00.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Always gotta check Charleys advice on Sportsters...

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 03-24-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Leroy883
Intermediate

thnx for the help but i got it off with a 36 mm axle nut socket.. it was a bit loose but i felt it was good enough... I still wonder if there is something wrong with my springs or do all sportsters bottom out rather easy with a clang noise.. and i am currently trying to get the bottom screw out and its a stupid hex bolt and a 1/4 in. is too big and a 7/32 is too small!! WTF?! i guess its damn metric and i cant find a freaking metric hex set anywhere at my house..

Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
jmfinch
Intermediate

mines same year as your and mine are phillips head screws. But yeah i keep all my tools in an organized chest by my bike becuase of your problem. It im flying between sockets and wrenches and their sizes every time i do something it seems. But an earlier poster is right if your ripping the whole thing down and can afford it go ahead and put prog's in there they make all the difference.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer

I'm doing Progressive fork springs next week.

I bottom out with that evil-sounding 'clang' over railroad tracks, manhole covers, etc. My understanding is that the progressive springs really stiffen the front end quite a bit and most bumps are a non-event.

Can anyone comment about being 'too stiff'? after the mod - if there is such a thing. And how about handling - feel much different in lean?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Leroy883, you need the proper tools. I am going to have to suggest for you to ask for some help with this as they are metric. With no disrespect intended, if you do not have this knowledge or know the difference, these parts you are tryng to take apart are major components best left to people with some experience. The procedure is on my site but is made for a Bagger. Almost the same.

There are more than enough members here to help so maybe try asking someone to guide you through it step by step.

If I am understanding you correctly, why would you wish to take out the seat pipes to change springs unless you are going to change bushings (which you should inspect at minimum by removing the seat pipes)? Try looking for one of our HDF vendors for additional information on products for this problem that would help you and if that does not help than search the internet. Always start with our forum sponsors first as they keep the lights on.

Again, this is in no way any type of put-down but the best one can give you IMO.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 PM
zetaseven
Advanced

Yes the hex bolt is metrix, sportsters have showa forks,,,, your forks were probably bottoming out due to low oil level,,leakin seals

Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Leroy883
Intermediate

thanks you guys for the help. I did find my metric hex set as it was right under my nose. I have torn them apart and i am going to give them a bath in mineral spirits tomorrow.. I appreciate your concern fast harley but i am confident i know and am able to do this.. I have been doing my research here at HDF and in my sportster shop manual. I am also going to replace the oil seal, dust cover, and both bushings on both sides, and i am going to look into the progressive springs. If someone could post a link with good info on progressive springs that would save me some time of sifting through threads and sites..
thnx

Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Leroy883
Intermediate

OK the book says use HD type "E" fork oil. Im thinking it cant be that important to have HD fork oil (harley gets a bit proud of their name if you know what i mean). What weight and what type oil should i get?

Quick Reply: fork seals, and springs questions