Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coat OVER ceramic coat? (heat shields)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:39 PM
DaveA
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevsrock
You would have to lightly tig weld over the scratches and grind them out and then i would suggest having them re-ceramic coated.A hi heat powder might last a while but i have had alot of bad experiences with using it on heat sheilds,its got to the point that a will not warrenty it on heat sheilds.Don`t get me wrong powder coating has its place like on a frame or swing arm,but not a place where lets say your leg is going to rubbing up next to it all the time.Jb weld is not liquid metal,it requires a hardner to make it become hard and will out gas during the curing process and will leave you with a bigger mess than your scratches.
I couldn't agree more- JBWeld is great stuff, but it's still a powdered metal reinforced resin product and is heat affected, and will out-gas for a time when heated to higher temps. We have Airborn Coatings and others in this area that do alot of NASCAR components, as well as my racing boat headers, and if we want a perfectly smooth finish with high heat aluminum/ceramic coatings, the steel substrate had better be pretty near perfect. We sand the daylights out of the pipes and get them smooth before sending them out for coating so the final finish doesn't 'telegraph' the imperfections thru to the visible topcoat. A boat buddy of mine had a set of well-used and -abused headers he sent over- they were pretty pitted from rust and neglect...'no problem' said the counter-monkey at the powdercoat shop, leaving Mike with the impression that they'd look brand-new when he picked them up. BOY was he disappointed...every pit and gouge was still visible, even more so now that the surface was coated and shiny. It was a lesson for me, for sure...

Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 AM
snidermire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how easy it is for someone to say "no problem" when trying to tell you they can do a good job, and then you get the parts back and it's like they rushed the job or something. I gave these heat shields to my buddy's guy, and told him specifically to polish out or fill the scratches before he ceramic coated them. I go check them out a week later and I can see the scratches when looking up close. They are matte black, and the scratches are not that visible since they are on the bottom, but I still know they are there and that bothers me. We'll see what he comes up with this time around!

Thanks for your input guys...

D