Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE-II Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SE-II Baffles

I recently picked-up a low miles '06 1200C. It has the Stage 1, including Screaming Eagle II mufflers. The baffles appear to be removable -- my bride thinks they're too loud when following. Does anyone know if there is a quiet baffle available for the SE-II mufflers?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know of any "quiet" baffles for the SEII. You can make them louder by drilling the holes in the baffles out.

The SEII has got to be marketable--a lot of guys like the sound. That said, your best solution might be to buy and install stock pipes or the SE Street performance pipes; and sell the SEII's. Both stock and the SE Street performance are a lot quieter.

Last edited by rfranz1952; 03-21-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Yeah, I suspected that. I, too, like the sound, but I'm OK with toning them down. She would like to hear the bike sound more like the SuperTrapp SEs that I have on my EGC, so replacing them might be the best option, since there probably is a market for the SE-IIs.

Stock is way too quite, but, as you mentioned, there are other options.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I love the sound of my SEII's with the baffles in but they are right on the edge of too loud on long runs.
You could try removing your baffles and see if there is space to put a bit more packing in to quieten them just a bit.
The new SE street performance is hardly louder than the stock mufflers at all.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I love the sound of my SEII's with the baffles in but they are right on the edge of too loud on long runs.
You could try removing your baffles and see if there is space to put a bit more packing in to quieten them just a bit.
The new SE street performance is hardly louder than the stock mufflers at all.
Yeah, I have the SEII's as well and I agree that they are just on the edge of too loud, but man, it's a good "too loud".

The newer SE Street Performance mufflers are indeed quieter, but they're also more restrictive, so there is a small bit of a trade-off.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

I followed my wife around on the 1200 for a while today. The SE-IIs did sound amazingly good. They really didn't seem any louder than the Supertrapp SEs on my EG. (Supertrapp used to make the SE mufflers for the Harley touring bikes, until all this EPA crap reared its head.)

After riding around the area, I think she also now agrees that they're not too loud, and we'll be keeping them on the bike. On the super slab, she'll use earplugs.

Sounds like a win!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 PM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be prepared when she uses earplugs. The earplugs tend to be more effective at cutting the wind sound, and the clattering noise of the valve train. As a result, the pipes sound deeper and louder. I actually liked them better with earplugs than without.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

Rod--

I agree -- the earplugs have had some unexpected results. I seldom play the radio on my EGC when running, but while riding back from Sturgis through the Montana Big Sky Country on a recent trip, tuning-in a good C&W station seemed appropriate. I was amazed to discover that, with the wind noise gone, I could hear the radio much more clearly! I'm sure the same holds true for the pipes. It was a nice discovery.

And, yes, my Supertrapps do sound better on the slab with the plugs in -- all that high-pitched wind & road noise stuff is mostly gone. In fact, when I ride around town wearing my half-helmet, I'm frequently thinking, "Man, this Harley makes a lot of noise"!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
I followed my wife around on the 1200 for a while today. The SE-IIs did sound amazingly good. They really didn't seem any louder than the Supertrapp SEs on my EG. (Supertrapp used to make the SE mufflers for the Harley touring bikes, until all this EPA crap reared its head.)

After riding around the area, I think she also now agrees that they're not too loud, and we'll be keeping them on the bike. On the super slab, she'll use earplugs.

Sounds like a win!
Good for you !
I liked the sound of my SEII's when I first heard them - a little loud, but since I am hearing impaired, I want everyone to hear me if I can't hear them.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought mine with the stock baffles were pretty quiet, myself

Quick Reply: SE-II Baffles