Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feulpak question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:54 PM
gruntbulldog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feulpak question

just put short shots, arlen ness big sucker and feulpak on my 07 roadster.
on decel if I don't close the throttle all the way it pops. also when I shift sometimes it will backfire. I called feulpak and they told me that I have to make sure I close the throttle all the way. Is this normal? Is there any way to fix it?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:17 PM
foster617
Advanced
Default popping

My nightster is doing the same thing since i have installed new pipes fuel pak and air cleaner. I spoke with them and they told me my best bet is to get it dynoed. I believe it is a fuel air ratio issue i just wish i knew how to adjust this without paying a stealer.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 PM
gruntbulldog
6th Gear

Did they tell you to change mode 23 from 22 to 21? I did this and didn't seem to make a difference.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice-
i am running v&h shortshots, arlen ness sucker but combined with the tfi system...
have not had your problem ever. my combo runs perfect. doesnt get the best gas mileage, but hey thats not why i have it adjusted rich!!
i started with the v&h and ness without the tfi... loved the pop pop decel from the lean setting, but did not like the "hit the stall" from the leanness.

wonder if maybe your settings are a little too lean.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 AM
jamesdeanblvd
Cruiser

I would be nice if someone came up with a chart that showed you what each of the modes did. Then you could kind of tinker with it a little bit. I haven't put enough miles to say that mine is dialed in perfectly since I put on the troublemakers, but, for the first 20-30 miles, I thought it ran pretty good.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 AM
E Smitty
Advanced

Originally Posted by jamesdeanblvd
I would be nice if someone came up with a chart that showed you what each of the modes did. Then you could kind of tinker with it a little bit. I haven't put enough miles to say that mine is dialed in perfectly since I put on the troublemakers, but, for the first 20-30 miles, I thought it ran pretty good.
I asked Derek about the individual mode settings and he said they don't release that information because of liability issues. That would be fine if in fact they had it dialed in perfectly, but they don't. The Fuelpak is less expensive than other controllers and I guess you get what you pay for.

Did they have a setting for the Troublemakers? (Never mind, you answered that on another thread).

Thanks

E

Last edited by E Smitty; 03-21-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:35 PM
CBurk
Advanced

I just got my FP installed this last week and i noticed some poping on decel from time to time. i haven't had much of a opportunity to take her out cuz its still slushy outside in my area.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Micheletti
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it hurt anything from the decel popping?

Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to do a search on this topic- the problems are endless. Derek at Fuel Pak is a nice guy but, the fact is, V/H doesn't know how to solve this problem. I've been there...literally. I've even had my bike dyno'd by them and there is still popping and back-firing. For me (with a stage-1 and SE Air) I have 23 down to 18 or 19 depending on which "lessor of two evils" I feel like dealing with at the time. Without the popping you'll get the occasional hiccup. With it, it runs nice...but sounds ghetto. Some days, depending on the weather, you'll get both!

In hindsight, I wish I'd gone with the PCIII. The shortshots are SHORT and V/H's answer is "it's just the nature of the beast."

Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 AM
hollywood1959
Banned

Somewhat of the same problem, my 2007 883 V&H shorts SE air cleaner seems to run rich. I know because of all the crap on the back sprocket and rim. It tends to pop on decel as long as the choke is still on. once the idle drops, (1000) rpm. it runs ok. But, I have to blip the throttle to get it off idle before I move the bike in first gear from a stop. Now the fuelpack is set to their numbers, there are 28 presets on this motor configuration according to them. What I want to know, can I change the values thru the RPM range? IE (if I change a 10 to a 9, or a 6 to a 7, what am I doing as far as the map goe's?). Why won't they tell you? It's just a chip to tell your fuel system to add or take away fuel at the right time. If I'm wrong, hit this back and let us know, in the mean time, Always, Keep them in the wind.............HOLLYWOOD

Quick Reply: feulpak question