Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XR1200 VS Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:23 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy the XR1200

Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Drodd8
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Or......

Originally Posted by Certainteed
hey i bought the nightster because it beat the thruxton in the quarter mile, while the thruxton beat the nightster in the twisties.

i figure the vtwin just makes better torque, and thats where the fun is.

the xr is neat, but i dunno. i like it but what the hell is flat-track racing anyway?

anyway... i have a nightster.

i inverted my bars because i like the look, and the aggressive riding stance is way more fun. the center of g is lower. on long trips i lay on my tank bag and ride all day. i think the nightster bars are way too wide for modified suspension (keep reading to understand why) but clip-ons, or drags might be ok. i'm looking at bars from the 883 iron. i think they'd be perfect (inverted of course).

i put road king shocks on my nightster cause they were dirt cheap and raised the rear a great deal. plus theyre air-adjusteable. the dampening is good enough as far as i'm concerned.

raising the rear but keeping the short front-end gives two notable points:
the front suspension is garbage and will scare the crap out of you on uneven surfaces.
the lower front end/ higher rear end equate to less rake which means more responsive steering and a higher lean angle.

when i wrecked last year i was running behind a 750 commando and an rd350. both riders were excellent. i kept up with them untill i ran out of lean angle. not bad for "bar hopper".

i have no engine mods by the way and i was running on stock hd dunlops. the commando was running very skinny/sticky avons. that bike was faaaaast in the curves. in straightaways he had nothing. i owned his ***. same for the rd, but in the curves he was the messiah.

so, if you really want to have a lot of fun, pick up a nightster and do this:

get taller shocks. ghetto-fabulous road king air shocks are a good cheap alternative.
toss the front suspension. you can probably find someone willing to trade for that lowered front-end. get a normal set of forks and slide them down into the trees to lower the front. if you can find fork tubes from a 1200S you'll be pimping hardcore (they are adjustable cartridge type and hard to come by)
forkbrace? i'm not convinced these things work.
invert the bars or get some clipons. anything to get yourself hunkered down on that thing.
rear sets are a must. i have rear passenger pegs but really want rear seats.
flames, whitewalls, dice. all this stuff is necessary to hot-rodding, as any serious racer knows
...you can buy the XR and save yourself all the work of raising a lowered bike.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:31 PM
bigaluk
Cruiser

got to be the xr, extra hp sraight out the crate. feels a bit like the older tube framed buells.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Alex_C
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A pal of mine had the old original Harley Cafe Racer, made in what, 1980? He said it ate gixxers for breakfast.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM
jdeax82
Stage I

I have a 2009 Nightster and I have no problem keeping up with my friends GSXR 600. All I have on it is vance and hines, K&N, and a power commander. I've been on GSXR 1000's for 5 years and I love my nightster. It doesn't do 190+ but I have no problem doing 100 if I need to. Just cruize and feel the wind!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Endoz
Buells just don't do it for me, party because you sit perched up on top of them like my last Triumph, ready for something different.

thanks,

This right here indicates 1200N. The XR has a sportbike feel to it. If you don't want the sportbike feel, you don't want the "sportbike" of the two.

HOWEVER...it sounds to me (after checking through this thread a bit) like you're still in the state of mind to be riding something more geared towards your previous rides, without the kitted out look and feel of a pure sportbike. In that case, I'd have to say the XR.

A bit more thought and a few test rides would do you well...that's what I'd say.