Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting a 08 Nightster to Carb.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I'll chime in too

If technology is moving forward, why would he want to move backwards? He's going in the wrong direction. But to each his own...it's his bike.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually...why doesn't he just buy the old carbed bike and keep what he's already got? I mean he'll probably spend that much converting what he's got anyway?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with everyone.. It doesnt make since to me..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain

just if anyone wanted to know.. the Magazine was called... Cycle Source, Vol 12 Issue 11 (Winter Sucks Edition) Feb. 2009

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM
Elvis Nixon
Tourer

Originally Posted by jbg
Actually...why doesn't he just buy the old carbed bike and keep what he's already got? I mean he'll probably spend that much converting what he's got anyway?

Exactly! He could build the carbed bike out pretty nicely too and sell the stuff he takes off of it on Ebay.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
He he! I'll bet he looses quite a bit of weight once he removes all the electronics and wiring he won't need. .
10 pounds, MAYBE. There ain't that much wire on the bike and there aren't that many black boxes.

I believe that Joe was referring to the solid engine mount Sporties being lighter - and that's definitely the case. The mounts are lighter, the frame is lighter and the whole shebang is stiffer.

While this isn't a path I would take, I think it would be interesting and a LOT of fun to make the switch. I'm looking forward to the results.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain

I would just think he could get a used bike cheaper and mod it out.. but maybe not. I just hate to see him tear his bike apart right as the weather is getting good..

If and when he does it I'll get some pictures and post them..

I rode his yesterday for the first time.. It does ride a whole lot different then mine.. and just doesn't see to have the pep mine does.. but his is stock too pipes and all.. I do have to keep that in mind.. It rides good but mine if you get on the throttle you better be holding on.. but his is a lot smoother riding then mine is.. I will give it that..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM
dragpipe
Tourer

who cares what he could or cant do. its his bike. the question was can it be done and how, it wasnt asking if we think he should or not. let him do whatever he wants.
im just getting tired of reading 2 pages before the question is actually answered.
im also curious to see if anyones done this. i think its a great idea, it would be one of a kind, which is what we are all after.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain

True.. hes my brother and I'm going to help him either way he go's with it.. I just don't want his baby being torn apart so extensively that we can ever get it back together running.. Granted I pride myself in being mechanically inclined but I've never done anything quite like this.. I work in the IT profession and it makes me nervous pulling electrical out of something and expecting it still to work.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
drivel
Intermediate
Talking

Originally Posted by 3rdgear
True.. hes my brother and I'm going to help him either way he go's with it.. I just don't want his baby being torn apart so extensively that we can ever get it back together running.. Granted I pride myself in being mechanically inclined but I've never done anything quite like this.. I work in the IT profession and it makes me nervous pulling electrical out of something and expecting it still to work.
I think pretty much every IT person is like that.....

Quick Reply: Converting a 08 Nightster to Carb.