Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to begin 2up'ing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First, set the bike up for the extra weight. Then follow some of the good advise posted above on #6 and #9.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is a great passenger. She understands what needs to happen and when it needs to happen. Here’s a few of the rules that I told her.

-Get on/off when I say and always from the left side .
-Don’t touch the pipes / keep feet on the pegs at all times (even stopped).
-She is not in control of a lean…I am. Lean with the bike and me, do not counter lean. A simple glance over my shoulder in the direction we are going is enough.
-do not raise yourself up in the seat to look over my shoulder.
-turn your head to look at things, not your body.
-do not shift / move in the seat while slowing to a stop or taking off. If you need to shift your weight while moving do so very slowly.
-lean forward just a touch when taking off / lean back a touch when slowing (This helps keep the weight balanced).
-smile and enjoy the ride.

My wife and I have a shoulder tap “code” worked out. A tap on the left shoulder - Please slow down. Tap on the right shoulder - I need to shift my weight (she will not do it until she gets a nod in response). And a pat in the middle of my back - She needs to stop. Like I said she rides with me often so I’m sure there is more I told her that I’m forgetting.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:22 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife and I have been riding together for almost as many years as we have been married, 37. I totally agree with those that suggest moving around at slow speeds is a problem. I also understand the need to have the pillion hang on and not necessarily to the rider.

My wife rarely hangs on, rather, she places her hands on my hips and when we are hauling butt through a set of twisties she puts pressure on one hip or the other which tells me where she is at. For the most part she does her own thing and I hardly know she is there. When 2 people have been together for as long as we have it's like one and while we each have our own responsibilities while aboard, that pillion can help as much as harm the rider.

As others have said, it makes things a lot easier if you can find an experienced pillion to start off with because the bike does handle and brake differently. It also helps that the experienced pillion knows how to follow the rider's lead in terms of leaning, stopping and accelerating. If the pillion is a newb, take the time to be sure they know what is and isn't expected of them or that ride can be miserable. Never assume they know anything and you'll be better off because they don't.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokerMI
Greetings

So how does one start out 2up'ing ? beside throwing someone on the back and taking off. Tips ? Hints ?
Easy.....just do what I am doing in the picture below.....

Kidding aside. The others posted some great advice on here already.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:27 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

yeah, I learned some stuff, gonna start telling my passengers to just look over my shoulder when I'm turning. That's a good way to put it! And the signals are cool too.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 AM
HDXXX
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good advice stated so don't forget your shirt that says on the back "If you can read this the B**** fell off."

Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 AM
mississippiboy
Road Captain

starting off humm tell her never to put her foot on the ground period at any stop!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My first two up was with my sister. Many years ago. I told her best way to go was to lean into my back just to stay with my lean, not push me. She kept equal pressure and moved right with me till we were both comfy with the ride. Now 'cept at slow speed it doesn't matter what a passenger does to me.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Get a bicycle with a bananna seat. That's how I learned about 30-some-odd years ago.
Before a potential passenger gets near the bike you need to explain the rules:
#1. The exhaust pipes are VERY hot. Do Not Touch. Do not assume they know this.
#2. Only get on or off the bike when I say it's OK.
#3. Hold on.
#4. Try not to wiggle. If you gotta wiggle, do it easy. If you wiggle too much I'll stop the bike and give you something to wiggle about (applies only to of age female passengers).
#5. Have fun! If you're scared, let me know and I'll slow down.
#6. Wave at other bikes if you like, but if I think you're wiggling too much...
So what do you do if your male passenger wiggles to much!?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:47 AM
SmokerMI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by catlkn
So what do you do if your male passenger wiggles to much!?
ummmm then you prolly shouldn't be on the bike but doing some other activity

Quick Reply: to begin 2up'ing