Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed for Noob

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
aeproberts
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed for Noob

In case you have not been reading my posts (which I am sure many of you have not) I bought a 2002 Harley Sportster that has been sitting completely un-started for about 5 years.

Earlier in the week I finally got her cranking which is good news. I was very excited. However, there are some lingering problems.

1) She idles fine as long as the choke is between 100 and 50% out. I had it idling for about 30 minutes and if I put the choke in any farther than that the engine dies on me.

2) I can rev the engine using the throttle, but in a exaggerated fashion. By that I mean I can rev like I am about to race someone (vroom.....vroom) but small amounts of throttle stall the engine. Also I can not hold the throttle, that stalls the engine as well. There is the occasional backfire when reving the engine with the throttle, but that might just be because she has been sitting so long.

She obviously is not drivable like this. I am assuming this is a carb issue and possibly the jets. Is there a remedy short of me ripping the carb apart (since I do not have the skills to do that).

Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you can try a new set of spark plugs but I doubt that will cure the problem.If you can't fix the carb you have two choices pull it off and have it rebuilt or replace it.Rebuilding it would be much cheaper.An indie would be cheaper than a dealer and quite a few of those guys used to work for dealers and got fed up with all the crap you get working for a larger company.If you were around here I would help you out.I'm not driving hours to get to Maryland though.Check for vacuum leaks at hoses and the intake boot that holds the carb.If you can get it to idle spray some carb cleaner around the area and listen for any rpm change.If you notice rpm change inspect that area really close.Don't spray the carb cleaner on anything hot.Keep a fire extinguisher handy in case you do.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM
diablo666
Road Master

Oh I forgot to mention it sounds like the slow jet may be clogged.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
gator9999
Advanced

So what did you do before you started it, did you change fluids, follow anybody's advice as to what to do before you got it going.

I'm guessing the carb will have to come off, clean all the jets, get any varnish out of the bowl, new needle and seat??

Short of pulling the carb, buy some carb cleaner and spray it into your intake while the bike running, sometimes this will dislodge small particles. But assume the carb will have to come off.

It sounds like an air/fuel mixture issue though. Anytime you have to futz with the enrichening/choke to get it to run, thats a real clear indicator

Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Sorry, but if it's been sitting for 5 years with stale gas in it, you're really going to need to pull the carb and clean it IMO.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are half decent at turning wrenches, take the carb off and take it apart. Advance auto sells a carb/parts cleaner gallon can. It looks like a gallon of house paint. it has a basket for small parts. just remove all of the rubber parts and gaskets and soak it for a few days. you may have some old gas left that has turned into schlack. My other suggestion is like diablo said to check for air leaks. you are either getting too much air or not enough fuel.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM
aeproberts
Advanced

Thanks guys.

I am a decent weekend warrior mechanic, but have never worked with a carb before. Only fuel injection. I did change all the fluids (primary, brake, oil, gas etc) and the plugs.

Looks like I am about to get a crash course in carbs. I will take it off and give it a shot myself first using the youtube video I found.

Worse case scenario I end up taking it to a local shop. No one happens to know a good one in my area do you? (Rockville MD)

Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM
diablo666
Road Master

Do you have the service manual yet?If not send me your email in a pm.I will "try" and send you the carb diagrams.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:13 PM
aeproberts
Advanced

Originally Posted by diablo666
Do you have the service manual yet?If not send me your email in a pm.I will "try" and send you the carb diagrams.
Appreciate it greatly, but I do have the service manual.

Thanks though.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

You might be able to get away with just taking the bowl off the carb and spraying carb cleaner through all the orafaces, but if it's really been sitting 5 years, I'm actually surprised the bike even started. lol That's a long time for varnish and shellac to build up on the jets and openings. The service manual should really help you out though.

Quick Reply: Help Needed for Noob