Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipedreamz Insomniacz

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
schultzy60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipedreamz Insomniacz

I just bought these pipes for my 07' Nightster. I got them sittin in the box still and wanted to see if anyone had installed these and how tuff it is before I go barrelin into the project. Also, the guys at Pipedreamz said I could run them with the mids (spent all my money on pipes and a breather so i cant get the forwards yet) but i only see people running them with forwards. Anybody install these with mids?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 PM
astrohell85
Intermediate

I can't believe they're still in the box, I would be way to anxious to not have everything ripped apart by now. I'm anxious just to see them on your bike, post some pics asap.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schultzy60
I just bought these pipes for my 07' Nightster. I got them sittin in the box still and wanted to see if anyone had installed these and how tuff it is before I go barrelin into the project. Also, the guys at Pipedreamz said I could run them with the mids (spent all my money on pipes and a breather so i cant get the forwards yet) but i only see people running them with forwards. Anybody install these with mids?
Is there something I am supposed to see here? A link or something? In the case of the pipes, gather your tools, open the box, fine the installation sheet and follow the directions. Works 99% of the time
The other 1% is because sometime the MoCo instructions really, really, suck

Old 03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do the pipes and breather you need a remap.So you need to save some more money or just put the pipes on for now.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 PM
jg2ski
Advanced

I bought a bike last fall with a set of set of insomniacz on it. They were great looking pipes, but frankly they were a bit loud for my taste. I pulled them off an went back to the stock exhaust with Rush 1.75 slipons. In my opinion, the bike sounds and runs much better than with the drag pipes.
In regards to the install, I don't think you should have much problem. The pipes are connected at the exahust flange and one small L bracket that mounts to the side of the moter. That was another issue that I had with the pipes. A few weeks after buying the bike, the L bracket that secured them to the side of the moter snapped. The pipes came loose and were rubbing against the swingarm. The pipes were so freaken load that I didn't realize it until I got home. By that time they had scratched the hell out of my swingarm. I really think they should have a beefier bracket to mount these with.
Good luck with the install. They are one of the best looking set of pipes out there. I wish I could have found a better solution to tone them down a bit.
If anyone is interested, I have a set that I will be listing on ebay shortly.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Nixon1200
Novice

i installed the sweat dreamz on my 07 1200c. went on pretty well. fairly simple i would say. no major concerns or problems to run into. i also have not put forward controls on my bike. havent seem to have any issues with foot placement or my leg being uncomfortable. i will be upgrading to forward controls but not due to any incident involving the pipes. i think you will enjoy them, loud but not over the top.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you do the pipes and breather you need a remap.So you need to save some more money or just put the pipes on for now. [quote]

+1.........you will need to remap if you do both so you might want to save for a power commander.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 AM
schultzy60
Cruiser
Default Rock n Roll

Well I have the Power Commander so the remap is not a problem. I'm looking for loud so that's not an issue.

jg2ski - did you already have forwards on yours when you installed them? Did you have the baffles in those when they were too loud?

I appreciate the responses guys

Old 03-11-2009, 07:08 PM
txoval
Road Captain

High quality pipes, but they are loud...the bracket is a POS. Ben sent me 3, and each one broke. I made my own and eventually it broke...I run them without the bracket...if you tighten the header bolts and bolt the pipes together at the bracket they are't going anywhere...

I fought with Ben over this, the bracket was designed when Sportsters had rigid mounted engines...the vibration/movement with the rubber mounted engine has something to do with it

Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
jg2ski
Advanced

My bike is a 1200 custom so it already had the forward controls when the pipes were installed. When I first bought the bike it had no baffles at all. I bought the baffles that pipedreamz sell, but they really didn't quiet it down very much. As a last resort, I did the lolipop mod. That helped a bit, but they were still too load for my old ears.
I was hoping to find an aftermarket baffle solution, but it is very difficult because of the curve of the pipes.

Quick Reply: Pipedreamz Insomniacz