Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JambaJuice
Hoping to take pics very soon...but every time I get finished doing a small project its dark!!!!

Just did the Fishboy clamp and speedo relocation, the fishboy clamp is simply the best...yes a tad pricey but you get what you pay for...was fun to do the changes but I feel that the bars and turn signals (perhaps relocating the turn signals) need some slight adjustments...

also a tank lift would help clear some room for the speedo relocation...going to water-jet some brackets...hoping to make some so that the tank is not lifted super high...perhaps max 1"...

I will be waiting to do the coil relocation after the 1000mile service...found some nice brackets on eBay...seems like an all day project to get everything tucked in...

Glad to see more peeps getting Irons and thank you to everyone that has posted very helpful tutorials

Hoping to meet some of the OC peeps at some point to see what they have done to their Irons..

Laters
Lewis
Where'd you buy your Iron at and for how much?

The Big HD demo truck is coming tomorrow and sun to HD west. I might head out there to test ride some BTs.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 AM
CHI-TOWN IRON
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious, has anyone installed the Burly lowering kit yet? If yes, how do you like it...thinking of doing the same. Thanks!

BTW - New Iron owner. No Mods yet, looking to having some done during the winter season here in Chicago.

Enjoying reading/viewing all of your sick bikes!!

Last edited by CHI-TOWN IRON; 10-17-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 AM
JambaJuice
Advanced

Originally Posted by blackyck
Do the tank tift. looks really good. you have to do it at least 2" to make all the cables fit. all you need is a flat piece of metal with 2 holes. check out the pics of mine. i followed joebotics thread. super easy. i am going to do the speedo relocation next and fab up a new headlight mount. that lil visor over the light bugs me. lets see some pics!
i go to cooks sometimes i will hit you up next time i go.
Sweet

Would definitely be cool to meet some local peeps...

Good advice on the tank lift too...thank you

Old 10-17-2009, 10:15 AM
JambaJuice
Advanced

Originally Posted by iron71tike
Where'd you buy your Iron at and for how much?

The Big HD demo truck is coming tomorrow and sun to HD west. I might head out there to test ride some BTs.
Awesome...might head down on sun...today is SeaWorld for the family...

Got mine from Biggs HD in San Marcos...basically $10k OTD...also got an extended warranty, 1000 mile service thrown in, and a $250 gift card...was way better then any of the other HD dealers I tried to deal with...and when I say 'try' I am talking I felt as though I was the one trying to sell myself the Harley...almost bought another sportbike instead due to the **** poor tudes I got...but it all worked out so its all good...

Talk soon
Lewis

Old 10-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Archilochus
Cruiser
Default Is the Iron a Good Bike to Learn on?

Hey Iron Owners--

Did you get an Iron as your very first bike? And if so, do you feel it's been a good bike to learn on? I'm totally new to riding, and I've got a chance to get an Iron from a dealer here in NYC. I'm chomping at the bit, but the only thing that makes me hesitate is the question of whether it'll be a good bike to learn on. I'm toying with the idea of passing on the Iron for now, learning on a Honda Rebel, then coming back to HD when I'm more experienced. But if I hear from other newbies that it's been a good learner's bike, then I'll stick with my guns, dammit. So what do you folks think?

Thanks in advance for your help. This thread has been loads of fun.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:40 PM
JakeG
2nd Gear
Default First Bike

Hey all Iron owners out there just joined the site and wanted to say hi, I have had my Iron since May and love it! This is my first bike and I am glad I went with the Iron. In response to your question if its a good bike to learn on in my opinion it is. I drive every week between San Diego and LA for work and am very pleased with the bike. Again, hello to all and I'll be asking some questions later with some mods I am thinking of doing, right now I am waiting for the screamin eagle slip ons to come in so I can put the stage one air cleaner on and the buckshot heat shields.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Robbyrob505
Novice

I got my iron and motorcycle license in May. The iron is great to learn on. I got the hang of the bike in 2 days. I recommend u get the iron if thats what u really want. u will be surprised how fast u get the hang of it and u will not regret it. Ride safe with whatever you get, but i hope u go with the iron. Rob

Old 10-17-2009, 10:49 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Iron was my first bike. Got it June 1st, it's now mid-October and I have almost 5000 miles on it.

So um... yeah.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 PM
valet21
Intermediate

Originally Posted by michaelmartin
The Iron was my first bike. Got it June 1st, it's now mid-October and I have almost 5000 miles on it.

So um... yeah.
That's exactly my story. Go for the Iron, you won't regret it.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:26 PM
JambaJuice
Advanced

Originally Posted by Archilochus
Hey Iron Owners--

Did you get an Iron as your very first bike? And if so, do you feel it's been a good bike to learn on? I'm totally new to riding, and I've got a chance to get an Iron from a dealer here in NYC. I'm chomping at the bit, but the only thing that makes me hesitate is the question of whether it'll be a good bike to learn on. I'm toying with the idea of passing on the Iron for now, learning on a Honda Rebel, then coming back to HD when I'm more experienced. But if I hear from other newbies that it's been a good learner's bike, then I'll stick with my guns, dammit. So what do you folks think?

Thanks in advance for your help. This thread has been loads of fun.
Welcome aboard =)

As for a learner bike...I learned on a GSXR 750...I think it all comes down to your personal level of comfort...I probably should have learned on a smaller beater bike but I was too anxious to get the sportbike I wanted...

After 20 years of being off the bike I decided on the Iron for the hobby aspect of modding it...very cheap and mod friendly...

The Iron is a really easy bike to ride...very forgiving and I have found the clutch to be super easy as well...

Good luck in your decision

Laters
Lewis

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**