Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 PM
jon_afghan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all. New to the forum. Just picked up an Iron. Mods over stock are mini-apes, forward controls, SE Stage 1 Air Filter kit, blacked out exhaust heat shields, SE slip-on shorty mufflers...i know i'm forgetting something else. Oh yeah, remapped too. It's one hell of a punchy little ride now. I'm a tall guy (6'2") and with the forwards on it, the bike fits me awesome.

Anyone know of a good seat that will let me sit a few inches back? I don't wanna go lower, just back.

Anyways, enough BS...here it is.

Last edited by jon_afghan; 04-04-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: fixed image
Old 04-04-2009, 08:58 PM
jon_afghan
4th Gear
Default Forward controls....

Anyone looking to install the forwards thinking they won't have to remove the exhaust (like me...) is in for some trouble. I just didn't wanna pull the exhaust back off to do it. Ended up having to.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jon_afghan
Hey all. New to the forum. Just picked up an Iron. Mods over stock are mini-apes, forward controls, SE Stage 1 Air Filter kit, blacked out exhaust heat shields, SE slip-on shorty mufflers...i know i'm forgetting something else. Oh yeah, remapped too. It's one hell of a punchy little ride now. I'm a tall guy (6'2") and with the forwards on it, the bike fits me awesome.

Anyone know of a good seat that will let me sit a few inches back? I don't wanna go lower, just back.

Anyways, enough BS...here it is.

That exhaust looks badass!
Would you have a video of how it sounds? I was interested in the SE state legal exhaust but instead went with some V&H short shots; they are way too loud for me.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:43 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Well i dumped my IRON week before last
Dropped off at the dealership last thursday for estimate & repairs.
Damage seems mainly cosmetic, so while getting repaired i asked them to replace footpegs, handgrips and mirrors with the tribal design.
Should have her back in few weeks, can't wait to see the change.
Next on list = Rinehart pipes, SE Heavy Breather, NRHS 1430cc conversion (winter project)
Ill do the pic thing later

Last edited by bolillo57; 04-05-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 PM
kyle1990
Stage I

I am picking mine up next week. I am 6 foot 3 inch and 225 pounds and I'm trying not to think about it being too small. I know i will do forward controls and maybe a different seat. i just dont wanna be that guy that makes his bike look like a moped. haha im already only 19 and no one else at 19 has a harley i looked at r6s and cbr600s forever and saw a commercial for this and had to check it out. i have never liked the look of harleys till this one. so i really want it to be sweet. does anyone think it will just be too big?

Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 PM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle1990
I am picking mine up next week. I am 6 foot 3 inch and 225 pounds and I'm trying not to think about it being too small. I know i will do forward controls and maybe a different seat. i just dont wanna be that guy that makes his bike look like a moped. haha im already only 19 and no one else at 19 has a harley i looked at r6s and cbr600s forever and saw a commercial for this and had to check it out. i have never liked the look of harleys till this one. so i really want it to be sweet. does anyone think it will just be too big?
I think you should be ok, I mean if you are that size and were looking at 600cc bikes then this should fit just fine as it is about the same size maybe even a bit longer, definitely lower & MUCH COOLER.
Anyways welcome to the IRON family and I'm sure you're gonna love the bike.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
chidrock
Advanced

Just picked up mine on Saturday. The worst feeling was knowing that we had one of the nicest days of the year on Sunday and I couldn't ride it! (taking my class the week after next)

Just curious, but are the forwards going to be difficult to put on the bike? The dealer told me that it would just be a bolt on along with the black SE slip-ons and black heat shield that I ordered. Will I have to take more off the bike to put those on?

One problem I had with my Iron is that it looks like the front wheel doesn't line up correctly. My father-in-law said it felt a little shaky, and when we checked it out the front wheel and headlight seem to be a little off from the handlebars. I didn't even get to ride it yet and it has to go back to the dealer...

Old 04-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Iron Dandee
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chidrock
One problem I had with my Iron is that it looks like the front wheel doesn't line up correctly. My father-in-law said it felt a little shaky, and when we checked it out the front wheel and headlight seem to be a little off from the handlebars. I didn't even get to ride it yet and it has to go back to the dealer...
i think i felt the same way about my bike, the handlebars were slightly pointing to the right...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Notcho
Novice
Default Newbie

I just got mine this weekend....the silver called out to me. I'm new to Harley's, I been saving up for a new bike for awhile and was planning on buying a new Triumph....things changed when I saw the Iron.
They definately attracted a new buyer with me.

I love the ride......wow....this bike is fun!
The only thing I didn't like was the mirrors are useless because of the drag bars.....I have to duck my elbow to get a view. The bars push your elbows in the way of the mirror.
Everything else is good.
I'm 5'7"-8" ish and love it the way it is...no changes, but I dig those black pipes posted above.

Last edited by Notcho; 04-06-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 PM
C.C. (iron)Rider
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Notcho
"the mirrors are useless"

Not sure if you've seen 'bolillo57's detailed instructions w/pictures on how to flip your mirrors over? That post is in this thread on 3/20/09.

I flipped mine over this weekend and it made a huge difference for me. Gave me way more confidence espescially being a new rider...The IRON got me as well!!

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**