Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
productions
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my Iron last month, love the bike.. I am about to buy the Vance & Hines Straight Shots but not sure if its a "do it yourself" job? Is it pretty easy to remove and install these? I'm a handy person but never worked on any of my motorcycles so any advice is great.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:47 PM
UPSBROWN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by productions
Got my Iron last month, love the bike.. I am about to buy the Vance & Hines Straight Shots but not sure if its a "do it yourself" job? Is it pretty easy to remove and install these? I'm a handy person but never worked on any of my motorcycles so any advice is great.

It's a do it your selfer. If you have any questions or problems, feel free to ask. That's what we're here for.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 PM
productions
6th Gear

Originally Posted by UPSBROWN
It's a do it your selfer. If you have any questions or problems, feel free to ask. That's what we're here for.

Cool, Thanks. One more thing, their seems to be a lot of debate on whether you need to add a fuel pack conversion as well. What is the final ruling on this? The pipes are the only upgrade I'm doing right now. I will probably add the performance air filter later on.

Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 09:30 PM
UPSBROWN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't worry about the fuel pak unless you're messing with the a/c. If and when you do, look in to a power commander or the Screamin Eagle Super Tuner. The SEST might be a little cashy, but it allows you to retune the bike the way you want it to run.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 AM
SKATERJO631
6th Gear

I too have never worked on a motorcycle, and I had my straight shots installed in about an hour. It's all pretty straight forward. You should have no problem with the install. the only thing i can think of to point out off the top of my head are the gaskets for the cross over tube. i reused mine. just be careful removing them from the stock mufflers. if you have any questions feel free to ask. good luck with everything. i think you will be very pleased with the straight shots by the way. they sound and look great in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 AM
productions
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SKATERJO631
I too have never worked on a motorcycle, and I had my straight shots installed in about an hour. It's all pretty straight forward. You should have no problem with the install. the only thing i can think of to point out off the top of my head are the gaskets for the cross over tube. i reused mine. just be careful removing them from the stock mufflers. if you have any questions feel free to ask. good luck with everything. i think you will be very pleased with the straight shots by the way. they sound and look great in my opinion.

Thanks Skater / UPS for the tips. I'll post some pics when I'm done, seems i have one the very few Silver ones. Did you need any special tools to do the exhaust?

Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM
SKATERJO631
6th Gear

Thanks Skater / UPS for the tips. I'll post some pics when I'm done, seems i have one the very few Silver ones. Did you need any special tools to do the exhaust?
just a basic socket socket set, some wrenches, and a flat head screw driver to loosen the clamps for the heat shields. you should be good to go. i also used a small amount of pb blaster for the slip joint from the muffler to the actual exhaust pipe.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM
manborn
Advanced

Originally Posted by shirokovd
From what I understood from talking to the HD dealer is if you install high performance pipes like Vance and Hines, you'll need to dyno tune them and only dealers can do that. I'm not an expert... this is just what the dealer told me today.
i got the same answers

Originally Posted by UPSBROWN
You don't need to do anything when you put new pipes on. As for the mechanics and dealers, and sales people saying that you do, it's all a sales ploy.
Not sure how much fuel you have left when the fuel light comes on, I run around 100mi then fill up and put about between 2 and 2.5 gal. in the tank.
3 out of 3 dealers I spoke to says you need racetuner, dyno, upgraded air filter since it can void the warranty running the engine too lean?

I really like to the look of the short or side shots but I don't want to void the warranty after enjoying the pipes. $1500 just to change the pipes with the required items above is not worth it - plus the change of engine damage. Has anyone ran with just the pipes(no race tuner or upgraded air filter) for a couple of months and had had no issues?

Last edited by manborn; 06-30-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 PM
productions
6th Gear

Originally Posted by manborn
3 out of 3 dealers I spoke to says you need racetuner, dyno, upgraded air filter since it can void the warranty running the engine too lean?

I really like to the look of the short or side shots but I don't want to void the warranty after enjoying the pipes.

I stopped by my dealer for some other parts and mentioned the pipes and he did say the same thing however he didnt seem concerned about performance when i said what about just adding pipes without the a/f / Tuner. Curious to know about the warranty as well? Is their any long term engine problems that can be caused by just doing the pipes? I'd like to do but surely dont want to be paying a lot of repair bills down the line? I also realize they are there to make a sale.

He quoted me 1100-1200 for the whole job incl labor...Tuner/Filter/Pipes

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM
mikes883silveriron
3rd Gear

hello all, new iron owner here, got one in silver. I was wondering if there is anyone who is willing to part with thier stock mufflers? I cannot afford a set of slip ons yet and wanted to experiment with drilling out the stock mufflers. I live in Philly, haven't seen another Iron yet.

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**