Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
msbodymodlvr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Danger Mouse
hey nice pics guys, got a question though. I really like the iron but I hear its not the right choice if your tall. Any of you over 6 foot and care to comment? Any info would be great, thanks.
Hey Danger Mouse...I'm not a guy and I'm not over 6' but with my boots on I am 6' (and no,I don't ride in heels). For me it's a fun lil bike for around town. I'm sellin my Iron because I want something bigger. When I'm on the freeway with the girls I'm the one not crusin. I have forward controls but I'm lookin for a lil more leg room. I want a bigger tank so we don't have to stop for me to fuel. I'm the only one in the pack with a sportster. A lil more crusin power on the freeway. So I say...ask yourself what kinda ridin are you going to be doing, in town or long rides or a lil of both. How do you want your body position to be on the bike? Then look at the cost of puttin on all the xtras. This time I'm lookin for a used bike that has the xtras already on it. I know I'm going to take a big hit when I sell my Iron but it has been fun ridin her even tho the 883 doesn't have the power I'm lookin for. Good luck on your journey and remember we are all at diffrent stages in our lifes and our bikes reflect that. You may buy an Iron today and fall in love with it then get a diffrent feeling and buy something else in 2yrs. Good-Luck

Old 05-30-2009, 10:12 AM
twitchy
Advanced

I'm 6'2". Fits me fine. I wouldn't have anything else. I like the mid controls too.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Danger Mouse
Stage II

Originally Posted by msbodymodlvr
Hey Danger Mouse...I'm not a guy and I'm not over 6' but with my boots on I am 6' (and no,I don't ride in heels). For me it's a fun lil bike for around town. I'm sellin my Iron because I want something bigger. When I'm on the freeway with the girls I'm the one not crusin. I have forward controls but I'm lookin for a lil more leg room. I want a bigger tank so we don't have to stop for me to fuel. I'm the only one in the pack with a sportster. A lil more crusin power on the freeway. So I say...ask yourself what kinda ridin are you going to be doing, in town or long rides or a lil of both. How do you want your body position to be on the bike? Then look at the cost of puttin on all the xtras. This time I'm lookin for a used bike that has the xtras already on it. I know I'm going to take a big hit when I sell my Iron but it has been fun ridin her even tho the 883 doesn't have the power I'm lookin for. Good luck on your journey and remember we are all at diffrent stages in our lifes and our bikes reflect that. You may buy an Iron today and fall in love with it then get a diffrent feeling and buy something else in 2yrs. Good-Luck
thank you for the info! Yeah I really just want a cruiser bike for around town, not really to concerned with highway cruising yet. Is the nightster bigger? I know it has more power but is the bike that much bigger?

twitchy do you use it for short trips or long trips? ever get cramped at all?

Old 05-30-2009, 02:36 PM
twitchy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Danger Mouse
thank you for the info! Yeah I really just want a cruiser bike for around town, not really to concerned with highway cruising yet. Is the nightster bigger? I know it has more power but is the bike that much bigger?

twitchy do you use it for short trips or long trips? ever get cramped at all?
I just use it for short trips. I don't consider it a real freeway worthy bike. I mainly ride it around town, to work and back, to go get some milk, down Palm Canyon with my friends etc. I never feel cramped. I like to rest my left forearm on my leg when I'm riding so for me, it's good. I love it.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM
infantryscott
Intermediate

I am 6ft 230lbs and put over 1,000 miles on the Iron in three weeks, heres my take. It is great around town, 80% of my driving is city or congestion. I do take back roads alot now to enjoy the commute more. I have also done a few higway trips over 100 miles and its a mixed bag on open road. I am going to install forward controls to see if its a big difference on the higway and to be honest I feel the power is more than enough to keep up with bigger bikes, my riding crew has an Electra Glide and Dyna Glide. Mid controls are great and allow me to have fun in the corners and I do not feel cramped at all even on long highway stretches.
The Nightster is the exact same size and the Iron but the bars and seat are a little different so there is a different fee. The Iron is also $2500 less than the 1200 and can be made into a 1200 for a savings still. If you buy a rice rocket with 600cc everyone thinks its a great bike and lots of power but a Harley 883 is looked down upon and to me I dont really care, its a great bike and does exactly what I want it to do and more.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM
ironmike81
6th Gear
Default 883 iron seat question

hi all got a big question to ask. today i just put 250 miles on my iron... my *** is shot.does anyone no of a seat that is bettter and will still obtain the look. please help after 75 miles i was not having fun anymore.. looked at the sundowner but the seat is way to big .isit 4 inches higher. any pics with 2up would be better cause my wife is hounding me to take a ride

Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Mico
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Answer to the Problem You Never Knew You Had

I looked at all the ideas for a remount on the spedo on some forums and decided I was going to order the old indicator lamp that mounts in the head light. Then I did that and got a black clamp for the handle bars. Then, my problem was where to put the spedo, then I was looking at different brackets, then I got thinking, and this is what I wount up doing. It was the easiest and all I needed was 2 bolts that were 7/8" longer and some washers, and that was it. Had to cut and drill a bit, but it was pretty stright forward. I like the line. I think I'm going to bring the tank up a bit.

Oh-the mirror does clear all the way, but had to adjust it a bit, you can't tell. And the indicators you can't see, so you might be driving around with your blinker on. I have the other indicators so I'm thinking about just splicing them in and putting them into the head light, but I'm going to see if I really need to have it. If you move your head a bit you can see the indicator.

Attached Thumbnails **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-img00074-20090530-1112.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-img00075-20090530-1128.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dsc03718.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dsc03727.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dsc03717.jpg  

Last edited by Mico; 05-30-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Mico... nice setup... question... where did you get the handlebar and clamp? did you keep the original riser?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 AM
pepe6859
Novice
Talking Idem

Hey Mico... nice setup... question... where did you get the handlebar and clamp? did you keep the original riser?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Mico
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handlebar and clamp

Both of these are from the Harley Dealership right out of the catalog. I can't remember the length of the bar, I want to say 26", I know it has a 4" pull back, very comfy. I went down to the garage and measured it and with the handgrips on it, stright across tip to tip it is 32". On the invoice the description is "0601-0711 Handlebar 1" 25W-CTR BLK" the service guy should find it from that. It's a $110.
Clamp is the only one I had to chose from in black so it was take it or leave it. "56115-95 Handlebar Clamp, Black" about $20.

Here is a side shot of the bike with the mount. -and a car seat.

Attached Thumbnails **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-dsc03744b.jpg  

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**