Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
theblack13
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

If I want to put new exhaust on my iron do I have to get it tuned after I put them on? I'm trying to do as much as I can myself to save money but I'm just curious if I'll need to take it in for a tune up with the new exhaust. Just curious if anyone knows...

Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 PM
shirokovd
Stage IV
Default What to do to increase horse power and torque

Hello Iron owners!
I've been riding for about four years and now ride a BMW F800GS. I saw the Iron and got the HD bug. I'm very interested in getting one. Last week I went to ride the Nightster and the Iron. I loved the look of the Iron, but appreciated the power of the 1200. Since I'm so new to HD and mods, I would appreciate the advice from those who have done them. I am interested in brining up the Iron to the power of the Nighster (if that's possible). From what I learned from the dealer I should go with the 883 to 1200 screaming eagle conversion kit (which runs about $1,200 without labor). I also love the Vance & Hines shortshots that so many of you put on your bikes. The dealer says I'd need to do a dyno tune when those are put on with some sort of fuel pack installed too (not sure if I'm using a correct term here.) When all is said and done, I'll be looking at another $2,500 on top of the bike if not more. Does this make sense? Would I get the power of the 1200? or should I go with the Nightster. Thanks so much.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 PM
shirokovd
Stage IV

From what I understood from talking to the HD dealer is if you install high performance pipes like Vance and Hines, you'll need to dyno tune them and only dealers can do that. I'm not an expert... this is just what the dealer told me today.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Iron Dragon
6th Gear

Originally Posted by twitchy
Maybe now you know why the guy sold you a used fuelpak.
First it wasn't used. came in original box, and still factory sealed with the fuelpak sticker. and second, THANKS!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 AM
msbodymodlvr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shirokovd
Hello Iron owners!
I've been riding for about four years and now ride a BMW F800GS. I saw the Iron and got the HD bug. I'm very interested in getting one. Last week I went to ride the Nightster and the Iron. I loved the look of the Iron, but appreciated the power of the 1200. Since I'm so new to HD and mods, I would appreciate the advice from those who have done them. I am interested in brining up the Iron to the power of the Nighster (if that's possible). From what I learned from the dealer I should go with the 883 to 1200 screaming eagle conversion kit (which runs about $1,200 without labor). I also love the Vance & Hines shortshots that so many of you put on your bikes. The dealer says I'd need to do a dyno tune when those are put on with some sort of fuel pack installed too (not sure if I'm using a correct term here.) When all is said and done, I'll be looking at another $2,500 on top of the bike if not more. Does this make sense? Would I get the power of the 1200? or should I go with the Nightster. Thanks so much.
Greetings...I'm sellin my Iron 883 and just got done puttin $2773.48 in to her with parts and labor. I have the V&H SS Stag Blk $459.95...SE Pro Super Tuner $459.95... Black Heavy Breather $299.95...Tribal Gear Shift $29.95...Tribal Pegs $69.95...(Pegs are bigger and more room for feet) Forward Controls $399.95... And just had the first service done $351.33. They must of done some kinda of Dyno tune because the gave me a test sheet that said DynoJet Research. Don't see anything about a fuel pack. I think they said I didn't need to do that. But what the hell do I know. Not sure if I'm feelin more power from the bike or if it's just the sound of the pipes that makes it feel like it has more power. Any hoot...So after all that I've put into the bike I will not be able to get even half of it back out, so make sure this is the bike for you before you start makin all the changes. If I were you I would bike a used 1200 that has had mods done already and save yourself some money. If you buy a New Iron 883 you may dump more money into it then just getting used and getting everything you want. I'm lookin to buy a bigger bike and I wont make the same mistake this time. Good luck on your journey

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Mattyboy
Intermediate

So I just went down to the dealer yesterday to give them the remaining payment and my insurance so everything will be ready for next tuesday and my bike had arrived a few hours earlier!!!!! Here are some pics....note the B.S. fender and monster tail light, damn Ministry.

I went in last week with my dad and he buggered off for ten minutes when I was talking to the sales guy and it turns out he was telling the tech guy to put the St Christopher medallion on the bike when it came. My parents are nervous, and rightly so, as my brother was killed in a motorcycle accident almost nine years ago. I think its an awesome addition and almost looks like it belongs.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-049.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-045.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-046.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-048.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-047.jpg  

Old 05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
mhobart2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jon_afghan
Hey all. New to the forum. Just picked up an Iron. Mods over stock are mini-apes, forward controls, SE Stage 1 Air Filter kit, blacked out exhaust heat shields, SE slip-on shorty mufflers...i know i'm forgetting something else. Oh yeah, remapped too. It's one hell of a punchy little ride now. I'm a tall guy (6'2") and with the forwards on it, the bike fits me awesome.

Anyone know of a good seat that will let me sit a few inches back? I don't wanna go lower, just back.

Anyways, enough BS...here it is.

Your bike looks awesome. I'm looking for the same thing in a seat for my iron. Seems like there has to be a seat out there that pushes you back further...not lower just back. Let me know if you find anything.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Brentjmi
2nd Gear
Default Got it home

Here's a picture of the bike at home in the garage! I'm not going to have a chance to take it out until this weekend but I'm looking forward to it!

it's going to be stock for awhile - I'll swap the mirrors as I mentioned earlier but other than that I don't think I'll do much.. although I saw the bassani exhaust system on another Iron that looked awesome... wonder how much that is? :-)

Attached Thumbnails **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-iron-883-in-garage.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 07:54 PM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, another silver owner! Congrats! Take your time and make it yours. Lots of little things you can do with some time and a bit of money. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
vilo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brentjmi
Here's a picture of the bike at home in the garage! I'm not going to have a chance to take it out until this weekend but I'm looking forward to it!

it's going to be stock for awhile - I'll swap the mirrors as I mentioned earlier but other than that I don't think I'll do much.. although I saw the bassani exhaust system on another Iron that looked awesome... wonder how much that is? :-)
Congatulations! You look like the happiest guy in the World! and you should! Welcome to the World of Cycling! Just hope your wife won't miss you too much!

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**