Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:39 PM
knights
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blindrocket
Hey I am considering getting a Crossbones. Mind telling me about your experience with it? How does it compare to the Iron (only bike I've owned).
Anything wrong with it? What year did you have?
Sorry to go off topic, we can take this to PM if you want.
id be interested in knowing about the crossbones aswel. i LOVE the look of it. i dont know anyone with one.
the only harley iv owned is an Iron too

Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 AM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser

Diddo on the current subject...
After all the crossbones is the iron's larger cousin...
I've sat on one and I don't feel as comfy as when I sit
on my iron... larger bikes might not be for me?!?!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM
brittin
Cruiser

just ordered my iron this week. should be waiting on me when i return from my deployment!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To compare Big Twins and a Sporty is apples and oranges to me.
I'm 250#s and had never even ridden a Sporty much less an 883 when I bought an Iron based on looks alone.

Since I had always ridden big, fat bikes and been told I was too fat for an Iron, I didn't know what to expect.

What I found is that the power of an 883 is fine for most of my riding, and the agility and handling make up for almost all the shortfalls in power. It's a pleasure and more fun to ride than a Big Twin. I'll probably do a1200 conversion mostly just for something to do, and part of the never ending evolution of the Harley.

I still have a Big Twin and enjoy the low revs at highway speed. It's also a more stretched out ride. They each shine in different areas, again, apples and oranges. Both good. Depends on how you like to ride. Carving corners with a little attitude favors an Iron. Relaxed riding with a little attitude, the Big Twin.

To me, the Cross Bones has the retro thing nailed, but less attitude than some other models.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 AM
AwesomeIndeed
Cruiser

New owner here. Picked up my Iron on Saturday, and so far have flipped the mirrors and added a few of the Dark Custom decorative accessories. New pipes go on today. Looking for a new seat as well. Love the bike!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AwesomeIndeed
New owner here. Picked up my Iron on Saturday, and so far have flipped the mirrors and added a few of the Dark Custom decorative accessories. New pipes go on today. Looking for a new seat as well. Love the bike!

Nice. Flipping the mirrors is the easiest mod there is and every Iron owner should do it as soon as they get home.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
2xsrc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I am considering getting a Crossbones. Mind telling me about your experience with it? How does it compare to the Iron (only bike I've owned).
Anything wrong with it? What year did you have?
Sorry to go off topic, we can take this to PM if you want.
Here's my take on the Crossbones. I loved the stock ride. It's basically a softtail with a springer front end. The springer was a bit stiff, but you get used to it. However, I really didn't like the look of the *** end. So, I modified it a bit. I put a RSD vintage rear fender (wrap around) and struts on it. Then to have it hug the rear, I lowered the rear 2.5". Looked great...but you lose travel, so the bumps were bad. Then...I took the stock HD sprung seat away and had a custom solo sprung seat made for it by Shade Tree Fabrications (with a bit less padding). Loved the look, not bad in comfort. The BIG issue...putting a suction cup P-pad on the rear fender for my wife. I had bought the bike and modified it as a single dude. After I got married...my wife HATED the ride on the P-pad on the fender. Any little bump, she felt. So...as a stock bike...or as a single rider bike, the Crossbones was awesome (I just didn't really like the overall look...wanted even more old school). I got it as closed to a rigid, old school bobber as I could...which in essence made it exactly that...a solo rider that wasn't too too comfortable for a passenger. So...as someone else said, hard to compare to an Iron. Different type of bike.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 AM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply and information.
Other than the Crossbones, I'm considering the Night Train as my second bike.
And yeah, those rear fenders leave something to be desired.

People coming from a Big Twin usually say that the Sportster is more "fun" to ride, I imagine because of it's maneuverability.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Chad 734 sporty
Stage I
Default 1998 Army sportster

This is my first Harley but at least my 50th bike, been riding 40 years, I love this bike, is super fast and handles great!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 AM
2xsrc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply and information.
Other than the Crossbones, I'm considering the Night Train as my second bike.
And yeah, those rear fenders leave something to be desired.

People coming from a Big Twin usually say that the Sportster is more "fun" to ride, I imagine because of it's maneuverability.
Quite welcome. The Night Train is nice as well. A good friend of mine had one of those too. He loved it. The Sportster is definitely more "fun" from a handling perspective. More like riding an old dirtbike or even low end sportbike than a Big Twin. From my perspective what you get depends on your riding style, your type of riding (highway, bar hopper, etc.) and you pocketbook. Lol.

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**