Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 PM
hdiron421
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ken rox
coooll.
relocate the coil and inginiton, chop that fender and i guarantee you'll get at least %38.5 more chicks a month!

plans for the winter are:

paint
custom exhaust
wire tuck
rigid struts
springer seat
chop/remount rear fender
speedo relocate
custom headlight mount
and probably some more stuff i can think of as im doin it..things tend to snowball with me if you cant tell already...i ride everyday so i have just been doin stuff thats easy and quick for now...im sure some of the smaller stuff above will be done on weekends before winter...lol...

Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 PM
ken rox
Cruiser

and check out this.
just an idea. but will hopefully will be out there before spring.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
hdiron421
Intermediate

looks awesome!!! mines gonna be a copper brown color on new vws....possible on the whole frame and bars also...

Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 AM
Ironkid
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Glenpocalypse
So just my 2 cent's on exhaust since I just went through the same decision you are making this past week. The vance&hines shortshots are the most popular by far for the Iron and for good reason they give you that nice harley sound and look great. Probably will give you a little performance gain but not much. I would stay away from the SE stuff at the dealership not because they aren't good pipes but because there is a reason they call it the stealership on the forums! Warning they will rob you!.. your mileage may vary.

A good 2-into-1 exhaust like RB racing LSR, D&D Bobcat, Thunderheader, Supertapp, etc. from my research will give you the best gain in HP and performance. They also have a different sound to them. Hard to explain but different and good. (especially the RB racing LSR) But a 2-into-1 is going to run you upwards of 700 bucks. Its what I wanted but too expensive.

So I decided to go with 2-2 my obvious first choice was shortshots or sideshots from V&H. But I wanted something different and found some BUB sidecutters for a good price I liked the look so I popped on em. Now I am just waiting for them to come in. They have a great sound and I love the look. They are also reported to give a good performance bump over stock. Here is a pic of them on a Nightster.

There are a vast array of options out there and any aftermarket pipe will give you a bump in power over stock. So do a little research and like these guys said maybe go to a bike night so you can look and listen. Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks alot for your personal experience in this, will try and look around to see what the other iron owner's here have to say.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by warrick
Just a black coating over a SS braided line? That is crap. Is that what HD Black Diamonds are?

This is from Magnum's site on the Black Pearl's:

• Another popular brand of braided control cables and brake lines is our patented Black Pearl products. This product uses jet black wire for the braid rather than simply a smoked outer plastic jacket over stainless wire. This results in a deeper, truer black appearance.
  • All our Black Pearl control cables and braided brake lines feature crystal clear outer coverings made of modified PVC. This high tech outer jacket will never discolor and offers excellent protection against scuffing your paint. And with the black braiding underneath, the coating gives it a "pearlized", carbon fiber look.
  • All our Black Pearl products have matching fittings that are manufactured with real black chrome plating and will not fade or turn color.
  • Black Pearl is a family of braided control cables for most Harley Davidson motorcycles that are manufactured to exactly match in color and weave. This product is also available for some metric motorcycle applications but would have to be ordered as a custom cable.
  • All control cables and brake lines are offered in stock and alternative lengths from -2" up to +12", in most motorcycle platforms, and allows the custommer ease of ordering for extended length applications.
  • All of our products are proudly manufactured in the USA at our Upstate New York facility.
Warrick.

Well, we hit a snag. Harley called and their factory brake lines are on back order until mid to late October!

So, I told the parts guy that I would order one from Magnum and have them install it when they do the 1000 mile service, and he said that was great and it would guarantee they wouldn't give me any hassle about any front brake issues with my warranty.

So, since I want a 2" rise and I dont' want to cut it short, I ordered the +4" Black Pearl line, talked to someone at Magnum and they put it on tomorrow's production schedule.

I should have it by Tuesday of next week.

The part is:

1 x 46" Chromite II DOT Custom Brake (46646) = $67.95
Color Black Pearl

That is the +4" version, I figure having a few extra inches will just give me some more slack in the line and allow for a slightly larger rise in the future if I want to do it.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not alone. My cables came in last week, but the banjos were back-ordered till late October, they parts guy found the same thing elsewhere and ordered last week. They were supposed to come in yesterday and only 1 showed up. 1 shipped from Wisconsin, 1 from NY. It should be in today or tomorrow, had to move my appointment back to tomorrow afternoon.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

You are not alone. My cables came in last week, but the banjos were back-ordered till late October, they parts guy found the same thing elsewhere and ordered last week. They were supposed to come in yesterday and only 1 showed up. 1 shipped from Wisconsin, 1 from NY. It should be in today or tomorrow, had to move my appointment back to tomorrow afternoon.
What length did you order and were you doing a rise? Stock length?

I figured by going +4" for a +2" rise, I'd be on the safe side.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 AM
warrick
Banned

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
What length did you order and were you doing a rise? Stock length?

I figured by going +4" for a +2" rise, I'd be on the safe side.
I went to a 3.5" straight riser, but also had narrow drags put on (big difference), just too much cable, went much shorter.

Brake 36"
Throttle\idle 31"
Clutch 51"

They measured at the dealer for free when I got my new rear tire put on.

Are you changing bars?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:04 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

I went to a 3.5" straight riser, but also had narrow drags put on (big difference), just too much cable, went much shorter.

Brake 36"
Throttle\idle 31"
Clutch 51"

They measured at the dealer for free when I got my new rear tire put on.

Are you changing bars?
No, keeping the stock bars and riser, and putting 1.5" riser inserts under the existing riser.

The factory front brake line is .5" too short to work with the new risers, hence the new line.

I'm pretty sure a +4" line will be more than enough, just curious what you did.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
warrick
Banned

Might that be too long, cause a kink in the brake line, or did you get new banjos?

My brake line is too long and has a severre bend, my buddy who has the shop said it was fine, but he also knew I was replacing it soon.

I would have thought +2 would be plenty if you are only .5 short.

That is one reason I had the dealer measure and order, if it is wrong, it's on them, not me. You can't return cutom length cables.

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**