Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice, can't wait to see them!

I think my new brake line should be in today or tomorrow, so I should be able to get it on here pretty soon, I will also post pics of the new line, and of the riser setup.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Ironkid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Iron

Hi HDF, i have just recently made a booking payment for an iron 883 at my local HD dealership. I should be expecting to have my bike in this week or so.. I have been so eager to get my hands on an HD as it has been a dream buy for me.

First Q's 1st, i have been reading through the first fifteen pages of this thread and found out alot of new iron owner's questioning the same q's that is what is the best exhaust for the iron 883. And still i have yet to find out.. Well here's my case, i saw somebody posted that the V&H gives the iron a loud roaring sound but doesnt offer any performance upgrades and instead voids the warranty of the bike, the SE however offers an increase in performance, not so loud in sound and does not void the warranty and the best part is that if you get the SE accesories during the purchase of the bike, you can actually put it into ur installment plans. My question is that, i would like to have a little bit of everything, nice roaring (carburated HD) sound, increase the performance, and still keep my warranty.. Which one would be the right choice for me? i saw a video of an iron owner who is currently using the SE street performance exhaust and set his idle rpm to as low as 544 and he now has that horse running/carburated HD sound which i am looking forward for my iron to sound like.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ironkid
Hi HDF, i have just recently made a booking payment for an iron 883 at my local HD dealership. I should be expecting to have my bike in this week or so.. I have been so eager to get my hands on an HD as it has been a dream buy for me.

First Q's 1st, i have been reading through the first fifteen pages of this thread and found out alot of new iron owner's questioning the same q's that is what is the best exhaust for the iron 883. And still i have yet to find out.. Well here's my case, i saw somebody posted that the V&H gives the iron a loud roaring sound but doesnt offer any performance upgrades and instead voids the warranty of the bike, the SE however offers an increase in performance, not so loud in sound and does not void the warranty and the best part is that if you get the SE accesories during the purchase of the bike, you can actually put it into ur installment plans. My question is that, i would like to have a little bit of everything, nice roaring (carburated HD) sound, increase the performance, and still keep my warranty.. Which one would be the right choice for me? i saw a video of an iron owner who is currently using the SE street performance exhaust and set his idle rpm to as low as 544 and he now has that horse running/carburated HD sound which i am looking forward for my iron to sound like.

Installation of after market exhaust DOES NOT void your warranty, careful what you read on here.

People can say what they want about the black V&H shorshots, they look sick on the Iron and I love the sound. To each his own.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

Be careful about how much you ADD at the HD dealer into your payment plan because you will pay interest on any parts you roll into your finance plan ! so something to consider

Old 08-31-2011, 01:09 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Pipes will not void your warranty, but open pipes will cost you a lot of low end torque.

My advice is before you choose an exhaust, go to some bike meets and hear what is out there, you will get a good idea of what it is that you like.

If all you do is pipes, and if you use torque cones or some kind of baffle, you should not need to get your ECU reprogrammed, but of course the dealer will tell you that your bike will explode if you don't get a $1000 retune of the ECU.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the best part is that if you get the SE accesories during the purchase of the bike, you can actually put it into ur installment plans.
Yay! now those 700 dollar pipes will cost "u" 1,000 dollars!

Old 08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Glenpocalypse
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So just my 2 cent's on exhaust since I just went through the same decision you are making this past week. The vance&hines shortshots are the most popular by far for the Iron and for good reason they give you that nice harley sound and look great. Probably will give you a little performance gain but not much. I would stay away from the SE stuff at the dealership not because they aren't good pipes but because there is a reason they call it the stealership on the forums! Warning they will rob you!.. your mileage may vary.

A good 2-into-1 exhaust like RB racing LSR, D&D Bobcat, Thunderheader, Supertapp, etc. from my research will give you the best gain in HP and performance. They also have a different sound to them. Hard to explain but different and good. (especially the RB racing LSR) But a 2-into-1 is going to run you upwards of 700 bucks. Its what I wanted but too expensive.

So I decided to go with 2-2 my obvious first choice was shortshots or sideshots from V&H. But I wanted something different and found some BUB sidecutters for a good price I liked the look so I popped on em. Now I am just waiting for them to come in. They have a great sound and I love the look. They are also reported to give a good performance bump over stock. Here is a pic of them on a Nightster.

There are a vast array of options out there and any aftermarket pipe will give you a bump in power over stock. So do a little research and like these guys said maybe go to a bike night so you can look and listen. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 PM
GodIsStevePerry
Cruiser

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Yeah, next month I have budgeted to get the licks solo for my Iron as well, that is a very cool bag.

I have fork bag right now, its kinda big but I actually love how it fills in the front end. It was $17 on Amazon and the leather quality (very thick, supple leather that was very well treated) easily surpasses the $50 bags I saw in other places.
Hey parabellum,

Do you have a picture of the fork bag on your bike by any chance? I just ordered one and I am wondering what it looks like on the Iron. I like that the bag is a bit bigger than usual and the price cant really be beat haha.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 PM
hdiron421
Intermediate

this is my first post to anything on here but ive been trolling for a while now..lol...ive recently done a few things to my scoot so i figured i was worthy of sharing....so far ive done rc slipons that look like drag pipes due to the one piece heat shields. they are currently for sale locally as i removed them for something different. i temporarily put the stock back on til i build a custom exhaust but didnt want it so quiet. so i removed the plug in the center and im actually happy with the sound. anyway pics are worth more than a few words so here ya go...

stock with forward controls
Name:  020911161131.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  95.3 KB

here with the slip-ons, 48 seat, and bars
Name:  IMAG0239.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  101.9 KB
Name:  IMAG0226.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  84.8 KB

heres with a 2" tank lift and removed front fender, also put a fork bag on the swingarm
Name:  IMAG0242.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  107.8 KB

heres the relocated tag using the thread i found on here using the upper belt guard bracket
Name:  IMAG0252.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  82.1 KB

and heres a quick walk around from my cell...i put di-noc on the fork tubes, aircleaner insert, and inside my willie g. skulls...

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0029.mp4

Old 08-31-2011, 09:02 PM
ken rox
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hdiron421
this is my first post to anything on here but ive been trolling for a while now..lol...ive recently done a few things to my scoot so i figured i was worthy of sharing....so far ive done rc slipons that look like drag pipes due to the one piece heat shields. they are currently for sale locally as i removed them for something different. i temporarily put the stock back on til i build a custom exhaust but didnt want it so quiet. so i removed the plug in the center and im actually happy with the sound. anyway pics are worth more than a few words so here ya go...

stock with forward controls

here with the slip-ons, 48 seat, and bars

heres with a 2" tank lift and removed front fender, also put a fork bag on the swingarm

heres the relocated tag using the thread i found on here using the upper belt guard bracket

and heres a quick walk around from my cell...i put di-noc on the fork tubes, aircleaner insert, and inside my willie g. skulls...
coooll.
relocate the coil and inginiton, chop that fender and i guarantee you'll get at least %38.5 more chicks a month!
unless you hava any willie g stuff which takes away exactly 300 charisma points and that is like you look %20 chicks a month : P

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**