Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by specterindustries
17 bux?! thats awesome, do you have a link for it on amazon or was it a one time deal? I am looking for a fork bag, but I am actually going to mount it behind my seat. I've seen that once or twice and I think it would look pretty sick. Are you planning on keeping the bike mostly stock or doing some upgrades?
Yup, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DZ1NFO

For the price, I was expecting something cheap that would last a year or two, but when I got it and saw the quality of the leather and the overall construction, I realized it was better made than many other fork bags I have seen for a LOT more money.

My current mods:

Mustang Solo Seat

My planned mods:

Progressive shocks (12.5" 412 series)
*Diamond black steel front brake line
*1.5" riser inserts

*These go on next week.

Last edited by parabellum_9x19; 08-29-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM
specterindustries
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its a sturdy looking bag, but I am looking for something more cylindrical simply due to where I want to place it. I was reading some older posts and I think there were some concerns about having too much wiring if you put on drag bars. I didn't really notice much of a difference, but I also did a tank lift/wire tuck so any excess got tucked back. The only Issue I have is the brake line coming from the master cylinder...it seems to be bending at an awfully awkward angle. But I also have the stock risers so if you are putting 1.5" risers, it may fix that issue. Also, I am kinda new to the whole modding thing so I still have a lot of questions about things. One in particular is what is the difference between the stock and the diamond black break lines? I figured its more than just looks, but I wanted to find out before I added them.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its a sturdy looking bag, but I am looking for something more cylindrical simply due to where I want to place it. I was reading some older posts and I think there were some concerns about having too much wiring if you put on drag bars. I didn't really notice much of a difference, but I also did a tank lift/wire tuck so any excess got tucked back. The only Issue I have is the brake line coming from the master cylinder...it seems to be bending at an awfully awkward angle. But I also have the stock risers so if you are putting 1.5" risers, it may fix that issue. Also, I am kinda new to the whole modding thing so I still have a lot of questions about things. One in particular is what is the difference between the stock and the diamond black break lines? I figured its more than just looks, but I wanted to find out before I added them.
I am having the MagnumShield braided black pearl cables put on my bike Thursday, custom length for drag bars. I will let you know and post some pics later this week.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

The stock brake line is a hybrid line, it has a rubber section, then a section of hard line, then another section or rubber.

The Stainless Steel brake lines (based on the service guy's description, mine haven't arrived yet) are braided stainless over rubber for the entire line all the way from the caliper to the master cylinder. The Diamond black ones just have a black anodized coating applied to the stainless to avoid they shiny look of the normal SS line.

The big thing with SS brake lines is that they are much more firm (they do not flex at all) and give much better response to the brake lever than a standard rubber line does.

I also don't care for the hybrid lines because each flange between the rubber and hard line is one more potential point of failure, and brakes are pretty darned important on a motorcycle.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM
specterindustries
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the info. I will have to look into that when I get back home this spring. You know, I love my bike, but the one thing I am jealous of with all the new 2012 irons is the throwback Harley Logo. Its amazing how something as simple as a logo change can actually change the look of the bike. I may have to look into getting that painted on my bike haha.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:30 AM
warrick
Banned

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
The stock brake line is a hybrid line, it has a rubber section, then a section of hard line, then another section or rubber.

The Stainless Steel brake lines (based on the service guy's description, mine haven't arrived yet) are braided stainless over rubber for the entire line all the way from the caliper to the master cylinder. The Diamond black ones just have a black anodized coating applied to the stainless to avoid they shiny look of the normal SS line.

The big thing with SS brake lines is that they are much more firm (they do not flex at all) and give much better response to the brake lever than a standard rubber line does.

I also don't care for the hybrid lines because each flange between the rubber and hard line is one more potential point of failure, and brakes are pretty darned important on a motorcycle.

Just a black coating over a SS braided line? That is crap. Is that what HD Black Diamonds are?

This is from Magnum's site on the Black Pearl's:

• Another popular brand of braided control cables and brake lines is our patented Black Pearl products. This product uses jet black wire for the braid rather than simply a smoked outer plastic jacket over stainless wire. This results in a deeper, truer black appearance.
  • All our Black Pearl control cables and braided brake lines feature crystal clear outer coverings made of modified PVC. This high tech outer jacket will never discolor and offers excellent protection against scuffing your paint. And with the black braiding underneath, the coating gives it a "pearlized", carbon fiber look.
  • All our Black Pearl products have matching fittings that are manufactured with real black chrome plating and will not fade or turn color.
  • Black Pearl is a family of braided control cables for most Harley Davidson motorcycles that are manufactured to exactly match in color and weave. This product is also available for some metric motorcycle applications but would have to be ordered as a custom cable.
  • All control cables and brake lines are offered in stock and alternative lengths from -2" up to +12", in most motorcycle platforms, and allows the custommer ease of ordering for extended length applications.
  • All of our products are proudly manufactured in the USA at our Upstate New York facility.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by warrick
Just a black coating over a SS braided line? That is crap. Is that what HD Black Diamonds are?

This is from Magnum's site on the Black Pearl's:

• Another popular brand of braided control cables and brake lines is our patented Black Pearl products. This product uses jet black wire for the braid rather than simply a smoked outer plastic jacket over stainless wire. This results in a deeper, truer black appearance.
  • All our Black Pearl control cables and braided brake lines feature crystal clear outer coverings made of modified PVC. This high tech outer jacket will never discolor and offers excellent protection against scuffing your paint. And with the black braiding underneath, the coating gives it a "pearlized", carbon fiber look.
  • All our Black Pearl products have matching fittings that are manufactured with real black chrome plating and will not fade or turn color.
  • Black Pearl is a family of braided control cables for most Harley Davidson motorcycles that are manufactured to exactly match in color and weave. This product is also available for some metric motorcycle applications but would have to be ordered as a custom cable.
  • All control cables and brake lines are offered in stock and alternative lengths from -2" up to +12", in most motorcycle platforms, and allows the custommer ease of ordering for extended length applications.
  • All of our products are proudly manufactured in the USA at our Upstate New York facility.
Those sound excellent. Costs more, but probably worth it if the appearance is a big deal.

And I agree, the 2012 logo on the Iron is simply badass and it puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 AM
warrick
Banned

Those sound excellent. Costs more, but probably worth it if the appearance is a big deal.

And I agree, the 2012 logo on the Iron is simply badass and it puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

I priced both, they are pretty much the same price.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:38 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmm.....it will be interesting to see what arrives at my dealer this week, for all I know he could have ordered the very line you are talking about.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:06 AM
warrick
Banned

Hmmm.....it will be interesting to see what arrives at my dealer this week, for all I know he could have ordered the very line you are talking about.

Mine go on tomorrow morning, will try and get some good close-up pics.

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**