Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM
MPRIDER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding 2 up

Hello guys and gals, Im a previous lurker and new member. Ive got a 11' denim black Iron and I really could use some tips on riding 2 up.

I'm really not planning on doing this too often, but I have to at least pretend like I want to every once in awhile to keep out of trouble! I would really like to have something temperary and easy to remove or even a whole seat if its an easy switch-a-roo. I want to keep as sleek as a look as possible when riding single. I have been looking at the Phantom pad but it says it doesnt work with the denim paint.

Can you guys/gals tell me what has worked for you? Maybe even share a pic or two?

BTW, I have read through this entire forum (took me a week!) and I dont recall this being covered. Correct me if Im wrong though!

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
vilo
Intermediate

This is Not my Bike but I have this same 2 up Seat set up, Takes bout 30 seconds to put on and take off Seat and sissy bar, My girl say's it's comfortable( She's bout 110lbs)

Attached Thumbnails **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-2-up-seat.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 05:48 AM
MPRIDER
Cruiser

It wont let me open that link up. Im guessing I havent had enough posts yet to see a picture.... Interesting rules for a forum....

Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 AM
MasterChief
Stage II
Default Riding 2 Up

MPRIDER -

I have the exact same set up that is in the picture and it is by far the best configuration that I have tried. I bought the HD Rallyrunner when I picked up the bike (2010 Iron) and have not been impressed with my comfort level at all. It's not bad for the passenger, but it is nowhere near as comfortable as the stock solo seat and for $300 it ain't cheap. I added the removeable sissy bar pictured and the passenger pillion and I am much happier. The pillion gives a better ride to the passenger as well as it's about an inch wider on either side. My girl is 125-130lbs (depending...) and says it's very comfortable. The look took some time to get used to - I am by nature a minimalist and I'll be buying the black solo spring seat soon. Vilo is exactly right - 30 seconds on and off. By installing the detachable hardware (what like $70 for nuts and bolts? - I thought boat parts were overpriced...) you can go from the sissy bar to a small solo rack too and thats a nice option. If it was entirely up to me it would be a spring solo and a tiny pillion pad but I know the old lady would not want to play so I'll just swap out as needed. Good luck and enjoy.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
MPRIDER
Cruiser

Thanks Guys,
I ended up buying the OEM passenger pillion and detachable sissy bar for now. At least it allows me to have options in my configuration from time to time. Eventually though I want to do the springer look and just make my girl get her own freaken bike if she wants to ride so bad!!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by MPRIDER
Thanks Guys,
I ended up buying the OEM passenger pillion and detachable sissy bar for now. At least it allows me to have options in my configuration from time to time. Eventually though I want to do the springer look and just make my girl get her own freaken bike if she wants to ride so bad!!
Put something under that pillion or it'll scuff up your fender. I swap back and forth between the stock seat with passenger pillion and my mustang solo. I have to put a fender bib on with the solo seat to hide the marks.

I've lined the bottom of the pillion with soft felt to prevent too much more damage.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:41 AM
mrcrazynutz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
One more checking in!

Is that a mustang wide seat?? how does it ride? how long are ur rides before it starts to hurt?

Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcrazynutz
Is that a mustang wide seat?? how does it ride? how long are ur rides before it starts to hurt?
It just so happens that I posted a review here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...ron-883-a.html

Its the Mustang Wide Solo, and its by far the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a motorcycle of any kind.

I haven't had the chance to do a long ride yet, but I've been out for over an hour with ZERO soreness or discomfort. I'm absolutely convinced that this seat will easily allow for 4-6 hours riding non stop before I'd need a break.

Worth every penny.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 AM
beanerblank
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 1100 miles in 2 days on my mustang. I am sure glad I didn't have the stock seat. Your *** gets used to riding after awhile. Overall it is a very good seat for long distances. I do not like the fact it fells like I'm sitting on top of the bike. The seat is very tall.

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**