Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 AM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3skulls
I think anything you put under your passenger seat will act the same as the seat. What ever it is, felt, the seat, or finder bib. Something still has to touch the paint and seems like it might rub here and there. I also have no idea what I'm talking about Welcome to the site, tons of good reading and info here.

Quick question to anyone who has 13" shocks. Has anyone had a problem with extra stress on the jiffy stand?
I used the bolt on Harley Pillion seat and it did indeed rub the paint off the fecking fender!!!!!!!!!

No I use a microfibre cloth under the seat and it has stopped taking the pint off.

I have 13" shocks, they come like that stock over here in the UK. Never had a problem with the Jiffy.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 AM
gr8stdane
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some new pics

Attached Thumbnails **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-jdsiron1.jpg   **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**-jdsiron2.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 AM
sexpanther
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 3skulls
I think anything you put under your passenger seat will act the same as the seat. What ever it is, felt, the seat, or finder bib. Something still has to touch the paint and seems like it might rub here and there. I also have no idea what I'm talking about Welcome to the site, tons of good reading and info here.

Quick question to anyone who has 13" shocks. Has anyone had a problem with extra stress on the jiffy stand?
hey dude - have 13" shocks here. as hungoverdog says they come standard on our uk bikes. but we also get longer standard jiffy stands for them. thats why our uk ones have chrome stands and you US guys have black ones.

If your changing them out and your stock shocks are 11" you may need to change the jiffy stand to a longer length as it will lean waaaay over on the stock stand if you raise the rear height. ask me how i know :-)

Last edited by sexpanther; 08-24-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added info, shocking spelling
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
hungoverdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sexpanther
hey dude - have 13" shocks here. as hungoverdog says they come standard on our uk bikes. but we also get longer standard jiffy stands for them. thats why our uk ones have chrome stands and you US guys have black ones.

If your changing them out and your stock shocks are 11" you may need to change the jiffy stand to a longer length as it will lean waaaay over on the stock stand if you raise the rear height. ask me how i know :-)
How do you know sexpanther? Your pipes look great by the way!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
sexpanther
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hungoverdog
How do you know sexpanther? Your pipes look great by the way!

thanks bro

when i changed out my stock 13" shocks for some RK shocks (also 13") - stand was perfect - bike leant over same as stock. i then put on some lowering blocks-lowered the rear by 2" to give it the same look as the US irons/nightsters.

however, this made the bike stand straight up on its stand - the dealer told me this was due to the length of the stand used in the UK - its longer to accomodate the 13" shocks. He said id need to order the jiffy from the UK version of the 883 low - which they said was the stand used in the US for the regular 11" shocks. this is a shorter stand appropriate for 11" shocks. I know, all very confusing!

so basically, it works the other way too - if you raise the rear of a US bike with the shorter jiffy, the thing leans way over!

Last edited by sexpanther; 08-24-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM
3skulls
Tourer

Yeah it leans over a bit more now, just wondered if anyone had any problems with it. The first time I put it on the jiffy after I had them on, I thought she was going all the way over

Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM
dk_iron
4th Gear

I recently bought a used Mustang seat, and it's much better than stock. One thing - I had to relocate the ECM from the fender to the battery area. Not sure if a Danny Gray seat would require this same relocation.

Originally Posted by polizei
Well after riding for a bit (only 220 miles on my Iron) I've come to the conclusion that I need a new seat! Sounds like a good winter project to save up some money for...and I'm sure my butt will thank me!

I only weigh 120lbs but the stock seat after ~30+ minutes of riding starts to annoy me...so the big question is, Danny Gray or Mustang?

I was also thinking about a springer seat from HD but from what I've read they don't seem all that comfortable, and I know Mustang makes good seats (my father has one on his V-Star), but Danny Gray's gel inserts sound awefully nice!

So which is it? Gray's are more for sure...but I think they look nice too.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
northwoodsiron
Advanced

^ your bike looks sick man!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:42 AM
polizei
Cruiser

New question for you guys...since I don't have a solo bag yet....for those of you who don't either, where in the world do you keep your registration/insurance cards on the bike?

My last 2 bikes both had under-the-seat storage "trays" so I was baffled to learn that this Harley didn't. For now it's in my wallet, but I was curious if you all had another solution (until I can get a solo bag)!

Edit*** Same goes for a helmet...I ride to my college classes and I keep my helmet in my backpack but since there are no helmet locks what do you guys do?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
gr8stdane
Advanced

I keep my registration in a zip lock bag in my solo bag. On a sport bike a helmet lock is mandatory, most decent full face helmets are like $300. I guess since they assume a guy on a harley isn't going to wear a full face, they can just throw their $20 novelty half helmet with the obligatory DOT sticker on the handlebar. I've decided that I look like a complete tard with half helmets, and wear a 3/4. I either put it on the handlebar or on the ground next to it. Still waiting to walk outside and find it missing but hasn't happened yet. Or get a sticker that says "This bike protected by Hell's Angels".

Originally Posted by polizei
New question for you guys...since I don't have a solo bag yet....for those of you who don't either, where in the world do you keep your registration/insurance cards on the bike?

My last 2 bikes both had under-the-seat storage "trays" so I was baffled to learn that this Harley didn't. For now it's in my wallet, but I was curious if you all had another solution (until I can get a solo bag)!

Edit*** Same goes for a helmet...I ride to my college classes and I keep my helmet in my backpack but since there are no helmet locks what do you guys do?

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**