Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
james88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koshernerd
a couple of people I herd took off the front fender but I didn't see any pictures of it, so today, I decided to take off the front fender and see what the hell it actually looks like!?

I think it looks petty sweet without it!!

did definatly notice more pebbles and road **** hitting me in the face!! ... BUT that's just the price of being cool right??

also bring me to ask.... what kind of helmet does everyone else run?? and 3/4 or full facers out there??

I've got an HD "Turtle Shell" as my Girlie calls it lol
I Bought a full face, but the whole front flips up, not just the visor. I havnt rode mine yet (I pick it up this weekend) but my buddy has been riding for some time now and he suggested it. Better protection and keeps the bugs and other crap out of his face. I guess I'll see how it works.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:19 AM
GEORGIADAWG
Novice

Originally Posted by northwoodsiron
GEORGIADAWG....your bike is perfect , great job
Thanks a lot guys, there is still more to do just ran out of time before thunder beach.
Originally Posted by DAM-ONE
Awesome rides..i am 3.5 hours from p.c...but the funds were not there this year...gonna do the fall rally
We are putting the fall rally on the calendar too

Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 AM
LongIron883
Stage IV

Originally Posted by vilo
Dennis Kirk Part# 454306 8in. wide passenger pillion and 454935 12 1/2 in. wide vintage style solo. Sissy bar and pad you have to get from Dealer they have part #s or HARLEY's web site.

Thanks alot!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
jtbecke
Intermediate
Default Main Fuse (30 amp) Blowing!!

Hey guys. i've been trying to find answers for this but am not having much luck.
yesterday i got cut off and had to slam on my breaks. immediately after that, my '09 iron went dead. i lost power completely. it turned out that my main fuse was blown. before finding that though, i was cranking the positive battery terminal screw with a wrench and may have damaged it a little. when i put a new fuse in, it popped as soon as i turned the ignition. i had to get towed home last night! it's driving me crazy not knowing what the issue is. i have the screaming eagle heavy breather on with vance and hines pipes and a fuelpak. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

hey guys, i've got a few questions for the iron gurus out there. i'm sure my questions are extremely simple to answer, i'm just new to bikes so a little guidance would be great. when swapping exhausts from stock to vance and hines shortys is there any dyno tuning required? or can just a fuelpak be used and the bike run fine?

another concern of mine is that i may outgrow the 883 quickly. i'm afraid that after riding it that i may deem it to not have enough power for me. is this a reality or does the 883 have enough grunt to keep most of you happy?

Last edited by GlennB.; 05-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Demon2Alpha
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GlennB.
hey guys, i've got a few questions for the iron gurus out there. i'm sure my questions are extremely simple to answer, i'm just new to bikes so a little guidance would be great. when swapping exhausts from stock to vance and hines shortys is there any dyno tuning required? or can just a fuelpak be used and the bike run fine?

another concern of mine is that i may outgrow the 883 quickly. i'm afraid that after riding it that i may deem it to not have enough power for me. is this a reality or does the 883 have enough grunt to keep most of you happy?
If you're just swapping out the exhaust and not the air cleaner, then you don't have to worry about messing with tuning. I had the Short Shots on mine with BCT baffles and it ran fine. I didn't like how loud it was so I eventually switched to the 2:1 Supertrapps.

For your second question, the 883 is fine for around town. It's real nimble and fun to ride. Get forward controls to stretch out your legs. When I ride with my friends that have the big-twins, I can definitely feel the difference when we're getting on the freeway. Takes me a couple seconds to catch up.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:12 AM
SgtS
6th Gear

Finally picked up my Iron yesterday! Long wait! A 3 hour ride in the rain & cold (+5C) to get it home. I was soaked sore & tired (but still grinnin'). Eighteen kilometers from home, going through a roundabout the left peg scraper (whatever it's really called) hit pavement...AND DUG IN! Long story short I went on a 30' ride across the road on my belly. Now I've been riding for a long time now & have always told new riders that "it's not a question of IF you go down, it's a question of WHEN". I'm a little sore. The bike took only very minor damage. I'm now a charter member of the ball scraper/breakers club as the left brake handle end ball is now worn down a bit. The rear left light assembly held the bike up off the pavement for the slide and took the only other damage. Only the housing...the light still works! A little primer & paint will hide it well enough. Lesson learned; remove the peg scrapers. They are dangerous!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:07 AM
koshernerd
Novice

What it sounds like to me is that the fuel pack is either wired into the wrong system for power, I don't know exactly how the fuelpak hooks up, but it could be robbing power from the wrong source, or the wiring to it wasn't soldered and heat shrinked, just twisted and tapped, which could have come apart and shorted, or crossed with something else... Either way, you should take it off and see if the bike still does it, if so, then that's why there's warranties... But the dealer will tell you the same thing, even if they were the one that installed the fuelpak

Originally Posted by jtbecke
Hey guys. i've been trying to find answers for this but am not having much luck.
yesterday i got cut off and had to slam on my breaks. immediately after that, my '09 iron went dead. i lost power completely. it turned out that my main fuse was blown. before finding that though, i was cranking the positive battery terminal screw with a wrench and may have damaged it a little. when i put a new fuse in, it popped as soon as i turned the ignition. i had to get towed home last night! it's driving me crazy not knowing what the issue is. i have the screaming eagle heavy breather on with vance and hines pipes and a fuelpak. any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
james88
Advanced

Hey everyone, I just picked up my Iron!! Awsome bike. It took minute to get use to but once I got the clutch down I was good to go. Can't wait to put some miles on it.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:07 PM
jeffc68
Tourer

Yeah clutch plus fi makes the first start a bit interesting. Came out o the dealership a bit fast myself.

Grats!

Originally Posted by james88
Hey everyone, I just picked up my Iron!! Awsome bike. It took minute to get use to but once I got the clutch down I was good to go. Can't wait to put some miles on it.

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**