Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

poking my head in from the touring section. We will be soon taking delivery of my wife's Iron 883, it will have forward controls and the SE 1200cc conversion

Old 04-16-2009, 10:43 AM
bolillo57
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
poking my head in from the touring section. We will be soon taking delivery of my wife's Iron 883, it will have forward controls and the SE 1200cc conversion
I'm really happy with my Iron, I had the foward controls put on mine when I got it. I'm sure your wife will be happy with it especially with the extra kick of the 1200conv. NRHS 1430 kit is planned for mine as winter project.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
IronTravel7
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bolillo57
I'm really happy with my Iron, I had the foward controls put on mine when I got it. I'm sure your wife will be happy with it especially with the extra kick of the 1200conv. NRHS 1430 kit is planned for mine as winter project.
NRHS 1430 kit, What is that? A 1430cc Engine?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:10 PM
bolillo57
Road Master

Originally Posted by IronTravel7
NRHS 1430 kit, What is that? A 1430cc Engine?
I ordered the catalog for http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ in it they have a kit = NRHS/AXTELL 88" kits for 2004-up sportsters. According to the catalog its a 1430 conversion with 130hp at the wheel.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Mico
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the catalog for http://www.nrhsperformance.com/ in it they have a kit = NRHS/AXTELL 88" kits for 2004-up sportsters. According to the catalog its a 1430 conversion with 130hp at the wheel.

Thanks for this link. I was reading your post and 130 hp at the wheel just is not believable to me. But you are absolutely right, that is what they claim. So I sat down and read the catalog this morning and in one of their graphs they are claiming the SAE H.P. on a stock 883 at 6000 rpm is only 30 HP. They say they used a 2004 sporster xl in "their shop." The product looks pretty cool to me, but for them to say the Street Dominator 883 to 1250 conversion can increase the cc on the engine from 883 to 1250 about 30% in size and give you a 300% power increase? I can't buy it. The math just doesn't work out. For the big bore 1430 I'm thinking the same thing. I just don't think it is possible to give an 883 the HP of most cars out there.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:58 AM
IronTravel7
Novice

I checked out that website, looks sweet. It would be nice if they had a picture of the black powder coated engine. The first thing I think of is what is you had the HD dealer install this in your bike and it turned out to be nothing but problems, I would have more faith in the Screamin' Eagle kit... you feel me? And where do you get 1430, all I see is 1250. And, the looks of the HD cylinders are dope, that would suck if you have a faster bike but a super lame lookin' engine. Lets face it, the Iron sells it self because of the way it looks, not its speed. Haha.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:03 PM
infantryscott
Intermediate

Well I guess I can officialy post here now. We purchased this afternoon from Boston Harley in Everett and they have been outstanding. Paid MSRP for Black Iron $7899 and they waived freight and set up! I also purchased a nice three in one Grey Jacket and got the lady a helmet too. Bike is being brought in this week and hopefully I will have pics sometime next weekend.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 AM
bolillo57
Road Master

Originally Posted by IronTravel7
I checked out that website, looks sweet. It would be nice if they had a picture of the black powder coated engine. The first thing I think of is what is you had the HD dealer install this in your bike and it turned out to be nothing but problems, I would have more faith in the Screamin' Eagle kit... you feel me? And where do you get 1430, all I see is 1250. And, the looks of the HD cylinders are dope, that would suck if you have a faster bike but a super lame lookin' engine. Lets face it, the Iron sells it self because of the way it looks, not its speed. Haha.
As I said the 1430 kit is in the CATALOG which I got from them, on the webpage they only show the 1250 kit. As far as looks of the engine I hear ya & all the parts can be ordered in Black wrinkle powdercoat finish so it will still have the same look. As for problems I know some guys with SE kits installed and they have nothing but problems with them i.e. overheating, low power, slow response etc etc so there can be problems with anything once you go other than stock. I say I would like this kit but I'm doing research before I do it I'm not jumping in blind. That is why I say it will be a WINTER PROJECT. Other than that I love the bike and it's a blast to ride, people always comment on it, usually positive - only have had 2 guys talk down on it (ride Road King & Fatboy)and it's just the usual "oh it's an 883, why not get a big bike instead of the girl bike" I just agree and say yes I do ride a girl's bike, normally no response from them after they see it doesn't bother me.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Mico
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said the 1430 kit is in the CATALOG which I got from them, on the webpage they only show the 1250 kit. As far as looks of the engine I hear ya & all the parts can be ordered in Black wrinkle powdercoat finish so it will still have the same look. As for problems I know some guys with SE kits installed and they have nothing but problems with them i.e. overheating, low power, slow response etc etc so there can be problems with anything once you go other than stock. I say I would like this kit but I'm doing research before I do it I'm not jumping in blind. That is why I say it will be a WINTER PROJECT. Other than that I love the bike and it's a blast to ride, people always comment on it, usually positive - only have had 2 guys talk down on it (ride Road King & Fatboy)and it's just the usual "oh it's an 883, why not get a big bike instead of the girl bike" I just agree and say yes I do ride a girl's bike, normally no response from them after they see it doesn't bother me.

That is funny!!! But I realize there is a stigma about it being a girl’s bike. All I can say is I can't wait to be a girl. The real difference is that it is the next generation’s bike, i.e. younger riders, and the old guys just can't handle getting old, so they buy it for their wife’s.......does that mean they are married to dudes???? Gay marriage is legal! Okay just messing around- you can twist anything you want-- and so people will to make themselves feel better than you. The truth is it's a great bike for a girl, it's a great platform for an old skol rider that wants to trick something out, and it’s a great bike for a new rider....and I'm a new rider, (or maybe a girl?)-- which makes me a lesbian with a son! Basically it is a great bike for who ever wants to ride it. I think as long as you are on a sportster there are certain people who are going to consider you "not on a real Harley," but this is for people that don't know the history of Harley. Also Harley is the only motorcycle company that has an entire division dedicated to marketing toward women, that is why they are selling so many sportsters and dynas to women right now, so a lot of these guys that insult your girl bike are really just victims of a successful marketing strategy and they have simply been brainwashed by a IV educated guy with a flashy suit. Think about Five or Ten years ago a sportster wasn't a girl bike, but all those guys hanging around the dealership on a Saturday with nothing to do got the "little bird in the ear" treatment and all of a sudden their bike was for a girl. Well they can't be a girl, so they trade their bike in and get something bigger and then get a sportster for the wife....great way to get money people don't have out of the pocket in a down economy.....It is brilliant on Harley's part, but meatheads are going to use the oppurtunity to insult you, when really they are the fools.

BTW I saw the 1430 in the online catalog, I just didn’t talk about it in the last post b/c the graph they used was more for the 1250. There seems to be a lot of posts with prob’s with this kit. I’m sure if you take your time, as with anything, it will turn out great, post a bit on u tube when you get it done so I can hear that sound.

One more thing............My bike will be delivered on the 24th....finally........all the modifications should be done and it will be ready to pick up on the 27th......or so I'm told....hopefully I'll get to post pics soon.

Okay off to church..it is Sunday after all.

Last edited by Mico; 04-19-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: I forgot.........
The following users liked this post:
Marty31 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-19-2009, 09:43 PM
thexman10
Novice

Anyone here with an Iron thats swapped ther handlebars for something else, I'm looking for a set. So if your interested in selling shoot me a PM me.

Quick Reply: **How Many Iron 883 Owners Out There?**