Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 AM
nola_rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall Bike

As you can see from my sig I have a 99 xl1200. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. I had trouble flat footing at stops and I am 6' with a 34" inseam. I believe it has an overstuffed seat on itand it is extremely comfy. I did however buy a 3" lowering kit and that helped some but the fender still looks high off the back tire and it doesnt have that low rear stance. what else can I do to make it lower.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
nola_rider
Advanced

the attachment is the before pic

Attached Thumbnails Tall Bike-photo_022009_001.jpg  
Old 03-03-2009, 12:06 PM
iupsig97
Tourer

Have you tried adjusting the preload (I think it's called) on the shocks? Their is an adjustment on the bottom of the spring. Adjusting this in the right direction can make the bike sit lower while riding. Only other suggestion would be to get a pair of shorter shocks... 11 or 12".

Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nola_rider
As you can see from my sig I have a 99 xl1200. I just bought it a couple weeks ago. I had trouble flat footing at stops and I am 6' with a 34" inseam. I believe it has an overstuffed seat on itand it is extremely comfy. I did however buy a 3" lowering kit and that helped some but the fender still looks high off the back tire and it doesnt have that low rear stance. what else can I do to make it lower.
Getting a narrower saddle will help you flat foot the bike.

I'm surprised you can't flat foot that '99. My '08 is lifted about an inch and a half with a wicked wide saddle and I can flat foot easily, plus I'm shorter than you....

Could you post a picture of you sitting on the bike? I think that would help us see what you can do.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 PM
nola_rider
Advanced

I can flat foot now....but it is still hard to back it up.

one thing going against me is I have a honda vlx that I hard tailed and it is on the ground.....i think I can touch my knees.

I dont mind the stance on the sportster right now it just "seems" tall to me I guess and in looking at all of the other sportsters they seem shorter.

Maybe I am just being **** and I think if I do a front wheel swap it may lift the front and give me the look I want.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Nit sure on a 99 but it looks to me like someone in the past installed longer than standard shocks. What is the measurement from center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt?

You probably want some that are 11.5" to 12".

Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

I can flat foot now....but it is still hard to back it up.

one thing going against me is I have a honda vlx that I hard tailed and it is on the ground.....i think I can touch my knees.

I dont mind the stance on the sportster right now it just "seems" tall to me I guess and in looking at all of the other sportsters they seem shorter.

Maybe I am just being **** and I think if I do a front wheel swap it may lift the front and give me the look I want.
Ain't nothing wrong with the VLX - it's a damned fine machine.

When compared to bikes like the N and I, any Sportster (and most bikes, with the exception of your VLX will sit higher.

I had issues backing up when I first put my DayLong on - but I learned to stand up and move forward on the bike before trying. It made parking a whole lot easier.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM
wingman1946
Cruiser

I have the 2000 883/1200 with the shocks (12" shocks) on their highest preload setting and I can flat foot with my knees slightly bent. I am 5'9" with a 31" inseam. Maybe it is your seat, it looks awfully thick. If you decide to lower the shocks then you want to lower the forks the same amount or your handling will suffer.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:20 PM
nola_rider
Advanced

I just measured the shocks and they are 13.25 from center bolt to center bolt. I am not great on harley shocks but I am assuming these are very long...I guess I will try and find some shorter ones.

The seat is about 4-5 in thick.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master

I just measured the shocks and they are 13.25 from center bolt to center bolt. I am not great on harley shocks but I am assuming these are very long...I guess I will try and find some shorter ones.

The seat is about 4-5 in thick.
How wide is the saddle where you straddle it when standing? That's a very important measurement, too.

Think about trying to stand up, but you have to bow your legs out to a certain width at your groin - how tall can you stand and how stable is your stance?

Quick Reply: Tall Bike