Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Fuelpak

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 06:37 PM
10_amp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Fuelpak

I have a 09 nightster with the SE air kit, V&H Shortshots staggered and using map FP-0681 but the bike is missing and sputtering, its fine at idle speed, ive only gotten to 2nd gear but when i open the throttle it almost cuts the engine off. im at a loss to what I need to change. ANyone have a map that they use on a sportster 1200 09 ?

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
sweetroll
Advanced

There's definitely something up there - first, did you check and make sure that was the right map, and you entered the #'s correctly? That may sound stupid, but I was playing with mine, trying to fine tune it, and the bike started behaving really crappy with just a couple slight tweaks to the map. I ended up putting the quiet baffles in my pipes, and it runs a lot smoother, just with using the standard map V&H had.
I suppose the next step would be to contact them and try and get them to give ya some tweaks to the map that should smooth out the ride. From my experience, the maps are not very intuitive, so you should see what they say before making changes. It seemed like some tweaks I made didn't do anything, and other killed the bike at an intersection, so playing the guessing game isn't the best thing to do.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
10_amp
Advanced

Originally Posted by sweetroll
There's definitely something up there - first, did you check and make sure that was the right map, and you entered the #'s correctly? That may sound stupid, but I was playing with mine, trying to fine tune it, and the bike started behaving really crappy with just a couple slight tweaks to the map. I ended up putting the quiet baffles in my pipes, and it runs a lot smoother, just with using the standard map V&H had.
I suppose the next step would be to contact them and try and get them to give ya some tweaks to the map that should smooth out the ride. From my experience, the maps are not very intuitive, so you should see what they say before making changes. It seemed like some tweaks I made didn't do anything, and other killed the bike at an intersection, so playing the guessing game isn't the best thing to do.
It actually turned out to be the throttle calibration. I went over everything three times until i remembered to make sure it was calibrated right.. It was off by 40

Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM
sweetroll
Advanced

That'll probably do it too - easy fixes are always good though.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your check engine light still on? My dyna runs fine with the fuelpak I recently installed but the check engine light is always on now. It has me kind of worried. Just wondering what your experience was.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
vegasrock
Tourer

Originally Posted by devils haircut
Is your check engine light still on? My dyna runs fine with the fuelpak I recently installed but the check engine light is always on now. It has me kind of worried. Just wondering what your experience was.
was your handlebar switch set to off when you installed the fuelpak?

first step in the instructions:

"1. Make sure main and handlebar switches are on the off position during the installation process. Failure to do this will cause the "check engine" light to be set."

Old 03-01-2009, 10:02 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vegasrock
was your handlebar switch set to off when you installed the fuelpak?

first step in the instructions:

"1. Make sure main and handlebar switches are on the off position during the installation process. Failure to do this will cause the "check engine" light to be set."
Yeah they were off. I paid close attention to the instructions AND had my laptop in the garage with other forum members walking me through it. Only problem I had installing it was getting it to fit, lol.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
vegasrock
Tourer

yeah getting it to fit was a bitch. even after watching the video on their website. there connecter went up into place way easier than mine did :/

Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to get in touch with V&H. They might have a custom setting for you to use on the Fuel Pak that's not listed on their site or in the manual. They've got good tech support and I've always had a lot of success having them respond to my emails with accurate and correct information the first time. Also have good phone support as well.