Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with ignition switch, please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:14 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help with ignition switch, please?

I finally had a chance to get out and ride on wednesday and discovered that my ignition switch was not making good contact. I bought a new switch today and went to put it on only to discover that on the OEM switch the wires are not labled. The back of the new switch has L, IG, and B. The wires are red, red and black, and red and white. This is a 96 1200, anyone have an idea which is which? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I don't have my service manual at work but I can help you figure it out if you have a multimeter?

Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master

I have a multimeter.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:36 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Ok your going to have power on one of the three wires use the meter on VOLTS for this step, the other two wires will become energised by the switch and you can tell what one is what by simply touching the power to one then the other, one wire will turn on the lights only (accessorie) and the other will power up the engine so it should be easy to determine what they are that way.
Now the switch, put your multimeter on ohms and touch the positive meter probe to one terminal of the switch with the switch turned off (try the B first), with the black meter probe check the other two terminals there should be no flow to either, click the switch to the first notch (accessorie) and check what terminal now has a connection, that will be the terminal for the accessorie wire you identified earlier, now turn the key to "ON" and you should have flow to both terminals, the second will be for the wire that you identified earlier as the engine power wire.
Make sense to you?

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
scottwilliamson
Road Master

Makes since thanks for the help.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:09 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Ok your going to have power on one of the three wires use the meter on VOLTS for this step, the other two wires will become energised by the switch and you can tell what one is what by simply touching the power to one then the other, one wire will turn on the lights only (accessorie) and the other will power up the engine so it should be easy to determine what they are that way.
Now the switch, put your multimeter on ohms and touch the positive meter probe to one terminal of the switch with the switch turned off (try the B first), with the black meter probe check the other two terminals there should be no flow to either, click the switch to the first notch (accessorie) and check what terminal now has a connection, that will be the terminal for the accessorie wire you identified earlier, now turn the key to "ON" and you should have flow to both terminals, the second will be for the wire that you identified earlier as the engine power wire.
Make sense to you?
I need a drink now.