Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:05 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCIII Issues

Just kind of curious to see if anyone has had any Major PCIII issues?? I just Installed my PCIII i purchased from Fuel Moto. We have had some nasty weather up here in Illinois and i haven't had much of a chance to ride yet and was just wondering what i might expect when i get the chance to ride. Right now it is throwing a check engine code so i called Fuelmoto and they said it was because of the O2 eliminators. The check egine light only comes on for a couple seconds and goes out. Fuelmoto told me that after i restart the bike about 20 or 30 times the check engine light would go away. Anyone heard of this or had any problems???

Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM
rdss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have the check engine problem at all. The only problem I had was it would stumble on wide open shifts but that was fixed with a little bit more fuel and after I hit 1000 miles I had it dyno'd and it runs great.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

The check engine light that comes on and the goes out is a history code not a current code, check you code, clear your codes and check again. a weak battery or loose terminals will also set a false code

Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 PM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the above, my bike was doing the same thing yours is doing. After I took it in for the free 1,000 mile service (with the PCIII on) the techs cleared the system and the light hasnt shown up since in over 9,000miles. no major problems with the PCIII either it works great.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Default clearing codes

Clearing codes, I Have no idea how to do that? Let me know how to do that so i can go check it and see if i can make that go away.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
The check engine light that comes on and the goes out is a history code not a current code, check you code, clear your codes and check again. a weak battery or loose terminals will also set a false code

Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag†should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none†will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

to clear once the code appears press and hold odometer button till "clear" or "none" shows on odometer then turn ignition off.

That should clear the check engine light

Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Default codes!

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag†should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC’s the code will be displayed or the word “none†will appear if there are no DTC’s. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

to clear once the code appears press and hold odometer button till "clear" or "none" shows on odometer then turn ignition off.

That should clear the check engine light
Thanks for the Info I will get this done!!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 08:53 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

I installed a PCIII last summer in my bike. I have not seen the check engine light come on at all since the install. PCIII has not given me any trouble, and the bike runs great.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:47 AM
scrunchee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Code

I just installed a Heavy Breather and PCIII from fuelmoto and I'm getting the same thing which is the check engine light going on. I haven't called fuelmoto yet about it but I will try to follow the steps in this forum on clearing the code. Is this common for the check engine light to go on after installing the PCIII?

Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scrunchee
I just installed a Heavy Breather and PCIII from fuelmoto and I'm getting the same thing which is the check engine light going on. I haven't called fuelmoto yet about it but I will try to follow the steps in this forum on clearing the code. Is this common for the check engine light to go on after installing the PCIII?
I think i was dumbass a little bit but make sure you follow the cable from where the 02 sensor comes out of the exhaust pipe and follow it back to the connector. if you hook it up to the wrong one it will give you the check engine light. make sure you have it hooked in the right one!!! also i did talk to them (fuelmoto) and they said that after you get it hooked up correctly the check engine light will still come on for about one second for 30 starts and it will clear itself. if you read in this thread it was explained how to reset this. i just haven't had the time to try it yet. i'm hoping i get this weekend off so i can do this. If your check engine light is staying on double check you o2 eliminators and make sure they are connected in the right spot.

Quick Reply: PCIII Issues