Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question...carb issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Newbie question...carb issue?

My guess is they setup new sporty's at the factory all the same. As they break in you start to see the individual personalities that each bike has start to emerge. Some run pretty good through this time while others are much more temperamental. It’s at the 1000 mile service that each bike gets tailored adjustments. After that, most run much better, regardless of how well they did or didn't run before that.

Not everyone will have the same problems because each bike is different. There are exceptions to everything.

Despite these inherent differences between each bike, it’s wrong no matter what for one to stall on you in an intersection. That is an occasion where the bike needs to fine tuning PRIOR to the 1K service. It doesn't mean it’s a POS. It means you are learning more about your bike sooner than the rest of us.

Dealers need to be receptive to this. My dealer service dept is extremely helpful, honest, and straight forward, and always does their best to address and resolve any problems and concerns.

The EPA is evil. Their regulations are the blame for the bulk of these problems. I cuss them every time my bike is behind a huge dump truck throwing out a giant cloud of BLACK smoke from the sh*t-running engine. Yeah EPA, crack down on the bikes. It's us buring holes in the ozone, not the city buses, or the dump trucks, or the tractor trailers, or the cars.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:39 AM
sprtnallover
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello all,

Brand new member and brand new harley owner. I just picked up an 06 1200c this week and it was also running badly like is being discussed in this thread. I took it back to the dealer and one of the service guys started smiling and nodding his head as i was describing the problem. He pushed my bike into the bay and began to work on the carb. He swapped out the slow jet, drilled out the EPA plug and adjusted it. He set the idle and away i went. The bike runs much better and stronger than before.
He was telling me that sporties are choked from the factory because of EPA regulations and if it were up to him he would have the bikes setup this way as soon as they are uncrated. He didn't charge me for the adjustment btw.
I also noticed that the gas cap has clicker sound to let you know its tight.......mine wasn't so you may want to check that. If it's loose you might be sucking air in through the tank. I know that on my car, if the cap isn't screwed on tightly it will throw and check engine light.......

Old 05-25-2006, 02:00 PM
burnie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The carbs come off the factory line very lean. Thanks to the EPA. Pay your harley tax by rejetting and you will have the problem fixed. Since you have cracked a carb before, check out the rejetting thread in the Tech forum here and you can get her fixed easily. Most of the 1200s coming off the factory line jetted with a 180 and 40 jetts. If you change you idle jet to a 45 and adjust you low mixture, you should have it licked.