Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recomend a good lock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a Xena Disc lock. The model that I have has a built in audio alarm that goes off when the bike is moved. It discourages people from messing with the bike and is a nice reminder if you forget that the lock is there.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:22 AM
hollywood1959
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moral of this story, If you want to sleep at night, bring it in the house! Buck shot works good too. Get a pit bull. If you have what they want, they will steal it. Myself, I like the Jame's Bond alarm. If I can't have it, no one will. C4 works great! I have a rule. Don't park it where you can't see it. It may be just a bike, but it is yours. Don't let it out of your site. It's the only way to keep whats yours.............................

Keep it in the wind,
HOLLYWOOD

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
aeproberts
Advanced

I don't think the discussion is whether a bike can be stolen even if it is locked. I think we all know that it can.

The questions is are there any relatively inexpensive locks that serve to deter/warn a theft.

The rotor lock with an alarm is interesting. I might check that one out.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM
hollywood1959
Banned

No. All you do is slow them down. It will not stop a good thief.If they want it, they will take it regardless.

HOLLYWOOD

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
hollywood1959
Banned

I went to bike week in 2000 in Daytona. 130+ bikes were stolen in one week. Come to find out they had a crew that would go out with a tractor trailer and just pick up bikes and throw them in the trailer. They got nailed only when they tried to leave the state. Of all things, it was a bad plate on the trailer. 130 times 10. Do the math. Protect it with your life, not a lock, It's all that stands between you and your ride. It's a good bet you wont get it back if it's taken. Remember this,(guns don't kill people, people kill people). Ride safe and keep it in the wind...........................

HOLLYWOOD

Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by aeproberts
I don't think the discussion is whether a bike can be stolen even if it is locked. I think we all know that it can.

The questions is are there any relatively inexpensive locks that serve to deter/warn a theft.

The rotor lock with an alarm is interesting. I might check that one out.
Well, since you understand the whole "If they want it, then they'll just take it" discussion of locks.......and seeing that you're wanting relatively inexpensive & me knowing you scoot is an '02, just bike a Masterlock for the fork lock. Knowing that you bought the scoot from a friend, the friend may not have pointed out the fork lock. The '03 & prior utilized a padlock going through the hole of two bars, (one bar on the triple tree & one bar on the neck), basically locking the front wheel turned to the side. I used to use the fork lock until the 2nd or third time I went to take off with it still locked . All you other guys can admit to forgetting the fork locks too, as I know I'm not the only one. Many people have reported forgetting to take the rotor locks off prior to attempting a take off too. I have since quit locking the fork, as there's no need for me to lock it.....

Last edited by WVHogRider; 02-24-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM
aeproberts
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVHogRider
Well, since you understand the whole "If they want it, then they'll just take it" discussion of locks.......and seeing that you're wanting relatively inexpensive & me knowing you scoot is an '02, just bike a Masterlock for the fork lock. Knowing that you bought the scoot from a friend, the friend may not have pointed out the fork lock. The '03 & prior utilized a padlock going through the hole of two bars, (one bar on the triple tree & one bar on the neck), basically locking the front wheel turned to the side. I used to use the fork lock until the 2nd or third time I went to take off with it still locked . All you other guys can admit to forgetting the fork locks too, as I know I'm not the only one. Many people have reported forgetting to take the rotor locks off prior to attempting a take off too. I have since quit locking the fork, as there's no need for me to lock it.....
I will have to look when I get home. I definitely did not know that was there. If it works for me then I will get one of the reminder ribbons (link below) so that I don't forget.

You are definitely not the only one who has forgotten about the lock. I watched a friend start driving off with the disc lock on once.

Reminder Ribbon
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Reminder.aspx

Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tiger_rider
I've used a Xena Disc lock. The model that I have has a built in audio alarm that goes off when the bike is moved. It discourages people from messing with the bike and is a nice reminder if you forget that the lock is there.
I just looked at the Xena site and these locks seem nice. They discourage anyone from just picking up the bike and throwing it in a car too. I agree that no lock is full proof, but it's a deterrant and that's the best I can hope for. I think I'm going to look more into the Xena locks for both my bikes.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:45 PM
00ICUR12
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that anything can be stolen. I use a padlock on the fork lock and a Xena disc lock on the REAR brake rotor. If they can't roll mine away, maybe they will take your bike instead of mine! If you do forget the disc lock, and it's on the REAR rotor, it will stop you but you probably won't dump the bike, which can be pretty expensive and really embarrassing.