Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting picked on by 5-0 for my helmet..

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyrider
I think I already said I's from Wes Virginia...you know I's can't read very good...
Sooo, all you are saying here, is that all those W. VA jokes are true?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CHITO_26
This thread got started on someone talking about police and his helmet problem. I dont know how crotch rocket bikers came up as to being to blame for a cop pulling a harley rider over his helmet? Can anyone explain?
Funny, I own a crotch rocket and I have helmets I where while riding that are both DOT and Snell 2000 approved. In fact I rarely see a bullet bike rider that doesn't have a DOT helmet on and this is a no helmet required state if you have a license and you're over 21.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Move to Ohio. It's just across the river....you can't miss it

Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I think here in Ga. the judge would cut you off as he pronounces sentence, siding with the cop's opinion. Seen it before. Kangaroos still exist.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:57 PM
wolfie1961
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I'll just wear my helmet!!! Besides, it makes my wife feel more comfortable.

Originally Posted by scotty-j
very interesting read....seriously read it

i pasted it from the link below

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Tickets.html

How to fight a helmet law ticket
I'm not an attorney. This presumes you were wearing a helmet, but not a "legal" helmet. If you weren't wearing any helmet,I think you just bought a fine.

I think beanie helmets are only slightly better than wearing no helmet at all - these helmets are about 3% as safe as a DOThelmet. In order to protect your head in an accident, a helmet must be fairly thick. The thickness is the room necessary to give your head some stopping distance. Without the thickness, your head stops in almost no time and the forces become too large to survive. However, I strongly dislike helmet laws. I think people should have the right to commit suicide however they wish. So, here's how to beat a helmet law ticket.

From time to time, and over-zealous cop will write a ticket for wearing an "illegal helmet," by which he means these beanie helmets. Many people who have these beanie helmets have a DOT sticker on the helmet. If you don't have such a sticker, I recommend you get one and put it on your helmet, and claim in court that it was on the helmet at the time you were stopped.You should be able to get such a sticker at any chopper accessory shop. Don't bring your helmet to court.

Plead not guilty. Appear in court on your trial date. Be on time. Dress nicely, like you were going to your cousin's wedding. You are on trial, not your helmet, you. Basically you're on trial for not looking right. Don't give them the added evidence of showing up in torn greasy jeans and a dirty shirt. Don't wear any leather, don't wear a vest, and don't wear your colors. If you have long hair, wash it and tie it back. This stuff matters, don't think it doesn't. Don't think that the judge isn't allowed to consider this - he can consider any damned thing he wants, and he will. Don't give them anything for free.

Print out all the following documents, three copies of each, and bring them to court:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...t/fmvss218.htm - the DOT specification.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin.../1_ovsc_1.html - DOT statement that certification is the manufacturer's responsibility.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27802.htm - the definition of a "helmet" in California.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27803.htm - the California helmet law.

Look at the following documents, if your helmet is shown as "PASS" you're home free.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin...ss218/2182.pdf - 2003 DOT testing results. See if your helmet actually passed.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin.../2002s218.html - 2002 DOT testing results.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin.../2001s218.html - 2001 DOT testing results.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testin.../2000s218.html - 2000 DOT testing results.

An attorney will want a couple hundred bucks to represent you. You have to decide if it's worth the money. If you're a bright guy and can speak well and keep your cool, you can probably do this on your own. If you clam up in public and have trouble talking, or if you tend to get mad and start arguing or yelling, maybe you should get an attorney. Your call. If you get an attorney, show him this document. You can go to your local Harley shop and ask where the local ABATE office is. They might help you. Unlikely, but it's worth a phone call. At your local chopper chop or Harley dealer they might be able to tell you about other people who have gotten this ticket and what they've done.

The cop has to show up to testify - if he doesn't show, you're off. If he does, he has to testify that you were riding a motorcycle, wearing a helmet, and that the helmet "obviously" doesn't meet DOT specs. As soon as he says "obviously," before he can finish the sentence, you object. The basis of your objection is that the officer has not been certified by the court as an expert witness in the field of helmet construction and certification. No matter how the DA tries to ask the cop questions about the construction or certification of your helmet, you object. Don't let him get anything into evidence other than that you were riding a bike, wearing some kind of helmet, and the cop pulled you over for no other reason and wrote you for the helmet.

When the prosecution is done grilling the cop, you ask the judge if the prosecution is done making their case. He'll ask the DA, and then say "yes." You then say, "The prosecution has not shown my helmet. They have offered no expert testimony on what the DOT test is. They have offered no expert testimony on which helmets are DOT compliant. They have offered no expert testimony on which helmets are not DOT compliant. They have offered no expert testimony on whether or not my helmet is DOTcompliant. They have not shown my helmet as evidence, nor have they shown any feature of my helmet that is lacking or sub-standard. I move for dismissal for failure to prosecute." Excellent chance the judge throws out the ticket right there.

If the judge doesn't throw it out, you have to cross examine the cop and testify yourself. When it's your turn to ask the officer questions, you start grilling him on the DOT spec - what is it? Ask if the cop has a copy of the DOT helmet specification with him. He doesn't. Ask if he's ever read the specification. He hasn't. Show the cop the DOT specification.Ask to have it entered into evidence. Give a copy to the judge, and another copy to the DA. Ask the cop if he's ever seen it before. Ask exactly which part of the law your helmet didn't meet. Ask how he determined this. Ask how helmets are tested? what is the testing mechanism? what are the specifications? who tests the helmets? If he tries to answer these questions in any technical fashion, like starts talking about dropping helmets with aluminum heads and accelerometers, ask where he learned this stuff. Ask the cop if he has an engineering degree. Ask if he has a copy of the DOT specifications with him.Basically, your job is to point out that these are highly technical engineering specifications, and the cop is not an engineer- if he was, he wouldn't be a cop. When you're asking the cop these questions, make certain he only answers your immediate question - if he tries to start talking about your helmet, ask the judge to make him stop. The cop will try repeatedly to point out that your helmet is thin, and DOT helmets are thick. Jump on him about this - ask if he measured your helmet's thickness. Ask if he measured his helmet's thickness. Ask exactly how thick a helmet has to be. If he answers, ask how he knows this. There's no DOT rule about how thick a helmet has to be. Ask if thickness is part of the DOT spec (it's not). Ask if liner material is part of the DOT spec (it's not). Ask if he can tell you the precise chemical composition of the "good" liners. Ask if he has your helmet. Ask why he didn't confiscate it for evidence. Ask if he has a picture. Again, don't bring your helmet into the court room, that just makes it available for the prosecution as a piece of evidence. Be certain to ask the cop if you were wearing a helmet.

You testify that your helmet has a DOT sticker, that it was sold to you as a DOT compliant helmet, that neither you nor the cop nor the motorcycle shop owner are experts in DOT helmet testing, that you bought the helmet to comply with the law, and that you believe you are in compliance with the law. Testify that you think your helmet is just as safe and just as thick as any other helmet. You also point out that no evidence has been given that your helmet is not in compliance expect for the spoken opinion of the cop, who is not an expert and not entitled to an opinion on how your helmet would perform in a DOT test.

After that, you're done. The judge will do what he does. Most judges will throw the ticket out, as they don't want to get into a big engineering argument about what is and what is not a DOT helmet. A few will jump on you just 'cause they can.That's it, it's a crap shoot. However, I think the odds are in your favor.

The following users liked this post:
duffy8540 (08-16-2020)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 PM
NI-STER
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scotty: That's all fine and dandy if the cops don't confiscate your lid and make you park your bike! That's how it works around here.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks man. Here in Oh as long as you have had your endorsment for a year you do not have to wear a helmet, but if you have had it under a year or just ahve your temps then you have to wear one. We have seat belt laws, but no helmet laws.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 PM
will227457
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

moral of the story: wear your lid and the correct one if the law requires it.....

I would fight the ticket...but thats me the government gets enought of my money

Old 02-03-2010, 05:26 PM
WVleo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride with a few guys with the skid lids and they never get bothered by the Cops ? Are Your plates from Colorado or WV ?? Just saying ? I have to wear one as the wife won't wipe the drool if I go down again without 1 ( Pa , different day different bike ), but I still keep it on in Pa now too ! If it wasn't the law would I wear one Hell No ! But its cheaper than paying tickets . Fight the ticket ? In the land of BYRD ( O wait His home is in Viginia ) ? Might beat it once, but You'll still need a helmet to ride in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia.....WVleo

Old 02-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wore a novelty helmet and if it had a fake DOT sticker on it and if I got pulled over, I'm afraid I'd just have to say "oh well, ya got me". I mean you get caught you get caught suck it up.

Forgot once in Tennesee, got pulled over, and I quickly took out the helmet and put it on while the cop was questioning me. "Ya got me, sorry" and off I go with a warning. Their rules, I'm a visitor, small price to pay.

Quick Reply: Getting picked on by 5-0 for my helmet..