Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

watch that road

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default watch that road

Was out saturday for a nice ride,little chilly but what the hell.

i had 2 cars pull out in front of me as if it was my fault,the looks i get,well one these god damn times i will hunt that **** azz driver down. (venting)

but still you have to keep it all there, so Please all Ride Safe

watch that other person.
it's a mean street out there.
Ride Safe

Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

feel your pain- happens on my wife's bike all the time... stock exhaust.
on my bike (v&h shortshots) i still have not had it happen. i really believe that loud pipes save lives- and just in case, i have a mini-beast horn!

are you running stock pipes?

Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanabe
feel your pain- happens on my wife's bike all the time... stock exhaust.
on my bike (v&h shortshots) i still have not had it happen. i really believe that loud pipes save lives- and just in case, i have a mini-beast horn!

are you running stock pipes?
The fact that your bike is louder than your wife's has zero to do with your being seen or not being seen. All that sound goes out the back and the effect it may offer to the front is minimal at best. Loud pipes saving lives is a joke at best but riders with the wisdom to understand the hazards that they are approaching is very real and much safer than any pipe regardless of the output volume.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

Maybe it has a little to do with the weather. People might be out of the habit of looking since they're haven't been many bikes on the road lately. I feel your pain though. That chit runs all through me when it happens.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Loud Pipes saves lives!!! May be They Do or May be they Don't who gives a ****!! They Sound Gooood!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
Loud Pipes saves lives!!! May be They Do or May be they Don't who gives a ****!! They Sound Gooood!!!
Yes, they do sound good. I also agree with Rqazorback in that many folks here in the east do not look for bikes this time of year so when we are out we, the riders, have to be especially alert. Pushing a bad position or taking the right of way could be very costly.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not sure if I can buy into the "loud pipes save lives" theory.... At the very least, don't kid yourself and assume the loud pipes on your bike are going to make any difference when riding in traffic.

My Shovelhead and EVO WideGlide run straight drag pipes (open with no baffles at all), and I idiots still pulled out in front of me.

When on some mandatory runs (involving 100 or more loud Harley's riding in formation) we've had people in 4-wheel vehicles do crazy stuff, and there is no way they didn't hear or see us.

Guys I know that work for a Fire Department have been involved in a few accidents when responding to a call, because of people pulling out in front of them. And this is when in a large, red, fire engine, with emergency lights blaring and siren going full blast. Those high output sirens have a much higher DB output than any of our exhausts..

When out on the mean streets just assume that every driver of every vehicle is out to kill you, and never assume or take anything for granted.

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 02-22-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:27 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Words to live by...People suck when it comes to respecting other vehicles...that means bikes, bicycles, pedestrians and other cars...So much for the share the road philosophy.

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy

When out on the mean streets just assume that every driver of every vehicle is out to kill you, and never assume or take anything for granted.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
The fact that your bike is louder than your wife's has zero to do with your being seen or not being seen. All that sound goes out the back and the effect it may offer to the front is minimal at best. Loud pipes saving lives is a joke at best but riders with the wisdom to understand the hazards that they are approaching is very real and much safer than any pipe regardless of the output volume.
Sorry, but you're just wrong. Louder pipes echo off houses, fences, etc, and although I don't rely on that to stay safe, I'm glad I have louder pipes. Don't believe me? Please make your pipes as quiet as you can. Betcha dont.....

Safe riding techniques along with louder pipes makes for a good day.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:11 PM
tumbleweed883
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
Sorry, but you're just wrong. Louder pipes echo off houses, fences, etc, and although I don't rely on that to stay safe, I'm glad I have louder pipes.

Don't agree. That argument is old and just a reason for some to justify loud pipes.

Quick Reply: watch that road