Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working out with your bike!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 AM
CHITO_26
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Working out with your bike!

Thanks to my bike I worked out this weekend. Well I took the bike out for a quick ride just so I can go to the store. I made a couple stops at different places. On my last stop my bike wouldn't turn on anymore, the battery died on me. I don't have a pick up truck so I had to push my bike home about 2-3 miles away. The weight of the bike helped me work my upper body and the walk and the weight of the bike worked out my lower body. I was drained by the time I got the bike home, I'm still a bit sore. I guess I don't need a bowflex just push my bike around the neighborhood. Seriously I do need a new battery my old battery is stock and my bike is an 04 XLC, is there a certain brand of battery anyone can recommend or should I just go to a dealership and get one there?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

depends on what you want to pay. if you want a stock replacement then head to the dealer, if not look online.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
scubaharley
Cruiser

Why didn't you roll start it ?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
rdss
Road Captain

Good call on the push start scuba, I wonder if that would work on an EFI bike if ever this situation happened. I guess at the least I could try.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdss
Good call on the push start scuba, I wonder if that would work on an EFI bike if ever this situation happened. I guess at the least I could try.
I have successfully push-started EFI cars, so I'd think there was at least a chance for the bike. Usually the starter is the biggest drain which tends to mean that even if the starter can't crank over the battery still has enough juice to run the EFI computer.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you chcek the battery connections> If they are loose the bike occasionaly won't start.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to pop the clutch and start it.. but be careful.. if you can be on the bike when you do it..that would be the best thing.. you don't want it to get away from you.. best thing would be to be on the bike and do it on a little of a incline that way you can kinda ease down it pop the clutch and go..

but you will probibly need to be going about 5mph maybe less..

Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scubaharley
Why didn't you roll start it ?
Yeah, it's Monday Mornin' Quarterbackin' but I have to say push startin' the bike beats the snot out of pushing the bike.

About the battery - can't say without more information.

It could be a fluke and all it needs is a top off charge, the battery could be toast, or it could be something wrong in the charging system.

Are you running any electrical accessories that draw enough to cause the battery to deplete? Did you leave the electric vest plugged in and turned on or something?

Did you ride enough between stops to get the battery recharged?

Old 02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Somethinglike7
Cruiser

I would tend to think if the battery is THAT dead then the fuel pump wouldn't run enough to get the injectors to fire on an efi bike, but nontheless shoulda popped started it man, screw pushin that around for a couple miles

Old 02-16-2009, 02:30 PM
1200chaos
Cruiser

if the battery is that dead it may start, but it will die instantly... cars are the same way... if the battery is below a certain point the alternator can't pick up the slack fast enough to keep the engine running and turn the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: Working out with your bike!