Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil check

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 PM
am7010
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil check

Just a quick question...When you check your oil level, do you stand the bike up right, or lean it on the jiffy stand?

Old 04-21-2006, 05:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Oil check

Need to leave it (Sportster) on the jiffy stand when checking oil to get an accurate reading.

Old 04-21-2006, 05:22 PM
ronn39
Road Master

OldFenderGuy is right. Check oil on the jiffy stand, check transmission upright and level.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:48 PM
razorbackjack
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In the manual I know it says to check oil on the jiffey stand but was wondering why it is not checked level and upright. Anyone know? Ive riden hondas most of my life andadjusting to this super bike(Sportster)

Did I say I likeeee my sportster[8D]

Old 05-27-2007, 03:49 PM
bilgil
Intermediate

Check on the stand and hot! [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-27-2007, 03:59 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

ORIGINAL: razorbackjack

In the manual I know it says to check oil on the jiffey stand but was wondering why it is not checked level and upright. Anyone know? Ive riden hondas most of my life andadjusting to this super bike(Sportster)

Did I say I likeeee my sportster[8D]
I assume your Homda had a swing arm stand in addition to a kick stand. It would be just a little unsafe for one person to balance a bike upright, and remove and reinstall the dipstick on your Harley.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:06 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

In the manual I know it says to check oil on the jiffey stand but was wondering why it is not checked level and upright. Anyone know?

They probably have the markings on the dipstick calibrated to read correctly with the bike leaning on the stock stand and on a level surface.

Of course, if you aren't on a level surface, or change the stock stand, or do anything to change the height of the frame from the ground, the reading won't be correct.

On some of the other models, such as on my Softail, the oil level is measured with the bike level and not leaning.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:17 PM
razorbackjack
Cruiser

Thanks guys. Was just wondering. One other last question. Do you guys wait until its at the fill mark before adding "any" oil at or do you add a pint of so?

Old 05-27-2007, 04:26 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks guys. Was just wondering. One other last question. Do you guys wait until its at the fill mark before adding "any" oil at or do you add a pint of so?
I keep the 'hot oil level' between the halfway and full mark.

When the reading getsdown to halfway (or slightly below) I'll add oil to bring it back up.

But be careful and don't overfill... In fact, I won't even fill them up to the 'recommended' full mark on the dipstick.

Also remember that the "hot" oil level will read higher than if you check the oil when it is cold. If you check the oil level when the oil is cold you don't want it to be over the halfway mark.

Old 05-27-2007, 04:30 PM
razorbackjack
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

I keep the 'hot oil level' between the halfway and full mark.

When the reading getsdown to halfway (or slightly below) I'll add oil to bring it back up.

But be careful and don't overfill... In fact, I won't even fill them up to the 'recommended' full mark on the dipstick.

Also remember that the "hot" oil level will read higher than if you check the oil when it is cold. If you check the oil level when the oil is cold you don't want it to be over the halfway mark.

Thanks for the answer, ill certainly do that. Have a good memorial weekend.

Quick Reply: Oil check