Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Growing out of it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Growing out of it!!!

Hey folks

I mentioned to one guy that I work with the fact that I am contemplating to purchase a '09 Nightster when we get closer to leave Afghanistan.

Well, he mentioned that I would grow out of the bike in 6 months. I kind of understand the concept, but also brings me to a crucial decision point on my purchase.

I want a bike that I can ride ALL THE TIME, yes, like to work and everywhere regardless of conditions. Second, I want a bike that I can do this for a long time and not just 1 or 2 years.

I am a pretty small guy at a whopping 150lbs and about 5'5. Also not the strongest kind either.

He does have two HD(reason why I asked him) and they are huge both. I am not sure if I want to take his recommendation to find a Street BOB or to continue with the '09 Nightster.

What say you?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:32 AM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

for your size youd be fine on a nightster. im 6'3 and love mine havent grown out of it and never would. but if you wanna do a lot of 2 up i might go for a 1200 custom or a dyna superglide.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nightster_Reaper
for your size youd be fine on a nightster. im 6'3 and love mine havent grown out of it and never would. but if you wanna do a lot of 2 up i might go for a 1200 custom or a dyna superglide.

Sorry for being such a newbie at this....

What is 2up?

Is that like having a passenger?

Also, why is the 1200C good for passengers and not the Nightster? They do have the same engine correct? Is the suspesion the difference?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 04:46 AM
jwa07nightster
Advanced

with the amount of hp you can pack into a nightster, you cant outgrow it but your wallet can! buy one dude. you will love it and if you get bored just start hot rodding it out.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jwa07nightster
with the amount of hp you can pack into a nightster, you cant outgrow it but your wallet can! buy one dude. you will love it and if you get bored just start hot rodding it out.

Yeah I hear ya.

Outgrowin................I stopped growing long long ago. heheheh

Anyway thanks I will get me one I think it will be a great investment.

Here is a picture of what I am looking for.

Attached Thumbnails Growing out of it!!!-000000nightster8apesdv5.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 06:48 AM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buiy what you want, it's your money.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightster!
Sorry for being such a newbie at this....

What is 2up?

Is that like having a passenger?

Also, why is the 1200C good for passengers and not the Nightster? They do have the same engine correct? Is the suspesion the difference?

Thanks
Correct, 2up= passenger. Probably the reason he says 1200C, it comes with a 2up seat, passenger pegs. All you would have to buy is a sissy bar. With a nightster you would have to purchase a seat or a pillion, passenger peg set, and a sissy bar, (depending on how much someone was going to ride with you.) But yes the engine is the same. Let me tell you, it packs plenty of punch. I ride with my dad and he has an 06 superglide, he might eventually catch me, but usually the only way he can is if i finally quit accelerating. They're fast. Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Nightster_Reaper
Tourer

that and the 1200 custom has taller shocks which are designed for passengers. the nighster is designed to be a solo bike. but if you plan to do longer rides you might also want a custom since it comes with a 4.5 gallon tank as opposed to the 3.3 gallon on the nightster.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:45 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm riding my 883 and though I may eventually want to add a bigger model, I will NEVER outgrow the fun I have on the sportster. If you like the Nightster, get it. Or better yet, when you get back, test ride the models you are thinking of, and you'll know what you should buy.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
Correct, 2up= passenger. Probably the reason he says 1200C, it comes with a 2up seat, passenger pegs. All you would have to buy is a sissy bar. With a nightster you would have to purchase a seat or a pillion, passenger peg set, and a sissy bar, (depending on how much someone was going to ride with you.) But yes the engine is the same. Let me tell you, it packs plenty of punch. I ride with my dad and he has an 06 superglide, he might eventually catch me, but usually the only way he can is if i finally quit accelerating. They're fast. Good luck with your decision.

Your post is making me wanna go get it right now. I can but would have no one to receive it back at home.

Thanks a lot for the information it was quite useful.

I intend to use it SOLO.

One reason I am so skeptical is that this is my first time purchasing a bike and never rode one larger than 250.

I just don't want to end up buying a nice piece for the garage if you know what I mean!!!

I think with what you guys have said it is safe to believe that I will be just fine with this Nightster.

Thanks for the time.

Quick Reply: Growing out of it!!!