Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Growing out of it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightster!
Your post is making me wanna go get it right now. I can but would have no one to receive it back at home.

Thanks a lot for the information it was quite useful.

I intend to use it SOLO.

One reason I am so skeptical is that this is my first time purchasing a bike and never rode one larger than 250.

I just don't want to end up buying a nice piece for the garage if you know what I mean!!!

I think with what you guys have said it is safe to believe that I will be just fine with this Nightster.

Thanks for the time.
Dont worry about it. I had never ridden a bike when I bought mine. Bicycles and four wheelers. THats was it. I just knew I was meant to ride one. Harley that is, not anything else. Just buy what you like and you'll never go wrong.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, thank you for your service. Safe travels coming home.

I have owned a sportster 883L and then Dyna. Both are great and you can't go wrong with either as they are terrific in the city and cruising on the highway. You will have a blast with the Nightster.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:34 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're going overseas, wait until you get there and buy it thru AAFES. They'll get it cheaper for you, and I believe you don't pay tax on it either. Don't quote me on that last part, lol.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:05 PM
rastajacob
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, logic will tell you that when you get comfortable with the Sportster, you will want a bigger bike, but don't count out the Sportie as far as pure speed and fun is concerned. You will never grow out of the bike, your tastes may change over time. If that is the case, then move up. I will eventually, but i'll never forget the enjoyment my Nightster gave me...FWIW...

Old 02-14-2009, 06:12 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a Nightster get it you'll enjoy it!

Thank you for your service to this country.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:36 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What is a BT?
BT= Big Twin. Dyna's, Softies and Baggers.
Look here is the thing. You have to look at what kind of riding your going to be doing and how you want your bike to look. My bike is a 06 883. Basically the same as the Nighty but a smaller engine. Here are things I like.
1. Easy to handle. You can split lanes and ride it pretty hard.
2. I think it looks cool.
3. Compared to other models it's really easy to work on. For instance when I broke my belt it took me 2 hours to replace it and I had never done that before. On a Softy you would have had to remove the whole swingarm.
4. Plenty of performance upgrades available.
Things I dislike.
1. Small tank, I have to fill up about every 110 miles.
2. Not the best brakes in the world.
3. Stock seat and shocks are not very good. I can't feel my ***** after about 50 miles. Usually stop about every 70 just to stretch and I'm HE-Man.
4. No 6th gear. Really could use on of those.

Last edited by eazyrider; 02-14-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You're the perfect size for a Nightster. I think you'd be happy with it.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Wiot
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks WIOT.
I meant to ask you on the other thread where I could get those pipes you have.

The look on your bike is very similar to what I want to achieve on mine. I want a full retro look witheverything as dull as possible. The factory exhaust leaves one wanting something else IMO.

I was hoping the Nightster could hold 240lbs. If it does then I guess my wife can get on it too. We both are kind of thin and short. hehehehe

Well, we are pretty fricking small 150 and 90lbs and I am a giant next to my wife. I actually have to look down to see her

Anyway

Thanks

Thanks
Nightster,

Couple things. First, I was in the Army for 4 years so I know that a lot of people don't appreciate the sacrfiices you make serving our country in the military. Thank you for your service. It's greatly appreciated even if sometimes you don't feel like people really care or understand. You have my upmost respect.

Second, if you're thinking about having the lady ride with you often you're definitely gonna want to do something with the shocks. Compare the ride with stock shocks to being in an M113. You're gonna feel the road. You can go with some progressive shocks that will give you a little more suspension travel so your lady friend doesn't end up in your lap the first time you bottom out. Take a look at some of the Nightsters in Europe to see what the added ride heighth would look like to see if you like that. There's also ways to get more travel without raising it up much if you want to do a little more work.

The pipes are Vance and Hines Short Shots. Take a look around on the internet for a good deal. They're pretty easy to find, but the black short shots are a bit more expensive than other pipes I've seen.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:14 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't go wrong with the deal you'll get via Overseas Car Sales program. Also check with your local HD dealer if they can give you the same deal. Better still, check out the used Sporty market also. Stay warm, be safe out there and enjoy that R&R lave

Old 02-15-2009, 12:25 AM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a picture of what I am looking for.
If this bike was out there, I'm sure a lot of people would be looking for it. BT in a Sportster frame.

Seriously, you should be fine with a Sportster.

With the "Ride Free" program there's really no risk if you want to trade up later.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

With two Sporties and a Dyna in the garage, I would not have a Sportster for my only bike.

Things that you will generally find with with a bigger bike:
More comfortable ride.
Larger storage and luggage options.
More seat room.
6 speed tranny - You can do this to a sportster also with a $3000 Baker kit.
Larger Fuel tank.
Better highway cruising.

A lot people trade to a bigger bike. Try putting the word "traded" it on a Sportster forum search. Even the Sportster moderator did it. But starting off with a Sportsters not a bad thing. Initial cost is less and its great beginning whether you stay with it or move on to something else.

Last edited by icecaps; 02-15-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Growing out of it!!!