Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Growing out of it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
I'm riding my 883 and though I may eventually want to add a bigger model, I will NEVER outgrow the fun I have on the sportster. If you like the Nightster, get it. Or better yet, when you get back, test ride the models you are thinking of, and you'll know what you should buy.
Thanks

I had thought of that too. What I am planning to do is that when it is time for me to go on R&R(about July), I will be going to PR and will rent a nightster for a couple of days and ride it in PR. Granted, riding in PR is very much not even close to riding on open roads there are some stretches that I can use and get aquanted with it..

Also by riding it in PR I think will geive me a better sense of what it will be just because the speeds are much slower and the skill needs to be much higher.

I will definately be able to know if I can handle the bike or not then.

I think it is safe to presume that at slower speeds the control needs to be much higher for a small person like me than a stronger guy. Maybe I am wrong about this but that is how I think it through.

I am not planning on breaking the sound barrier with it you know, it is just to go 10 miles to work and come back everyday.

Also it gives me an excuse to go out to lunch instead of staying at the office.

WOW what boring *** newbie I am. I can't believe I just wrote all of this garbage.

I must be really ready to get this bike and shut TFU hehehehe

Thanks guys really. Made my day much shorter here in Afghan land. Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

TO paraphrase someone's signature line...

Saying you'll outgrow a Sportster and buy a BT is like saying you'll outgrow a Corvette and buy a Suburban.

It's just nonsense.

Originally Posted by Nightster!
Hey folks

I mentioned to one guy that I work with the fact that I am contemplating to purchase a '09 Nightster when we get closer to leave Afghanistan.

Well, he mentioned that I would grow out of the bike in 6 months. I kind of understand the concept, but also brings me to a crucial decision point on my purchase.

I want a bike that I can ride ALL THE TIME, yes, like to work and everywhere regardless of conditions. Second, I want a bike that I can do this for a long time and not just 1 or 2 years.

I am a pretty small guy at a whopping 150lbs and about 5'5. Also not the strongest kind either.

He does have two HD(reason why I asked him) and they are huge both. I am not sure if I want to take his recommendation to find a Street BOB or to continue with the '09 Nightster.

What say you?

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bacon_Grease
TO paraphrase someone's signature line...

Saying you'll outgrow a Sportster and buy a BT is like saying you'll outgrow a Corvette and buy a Suburban.

It's just nonsense.

Posting on this thread carries a rather painful responsibility................The newbie doesn't know..................

What is a BT?

Sorry, I really don't know.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 317 Posts

Growing out of it could refer to the desire or need to trade to a big twin.

I would suggest that as the years pass you consider the desire to ride double (two-up).

The N is not good for two up riding.

I think a Nightster s $10K and the next step upward is the base model Dyna at $12K. That Dyna is also thin enough to split lanes as a Sportster is and a Dyna is good at two up riding. Both these models are good intown, commute and a few hundred mile trip motorcycles.

More money and style (IMHO) than a Dyna is the Softtail line.

Longer distances than a few 100 mile trips call for a Touring model.

The N has great style that may out weigh the choice of another other model.

That is my .02 about the "growing out of it" statement.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate

Easier terms.........impossible. Thanks for a great explanation.

I am locked in with the Nightster. As soon as I saw the pics I wanted it. That, has not happened to me with anything else. Not even my wife.

JK

Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
hogwash
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least HD has an offer to trade up at full msrp next year. What do you have to loose, except taxes?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Wiot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Growing out of it could refer to the desire or need to trade to a big twin.

I would suggest that as the years pass you consider the desire to ride double (two-up).

The N is not good for two up riding.
Exactly. The Nightster is easy to control, has lots of power, and will do what you are looking for and more. Being 5'5" you should still be able to put both feet flat on the ground and it should feel real comfortable for you. The only thing you might "outgrow" is the desire to ride solo all the time. If that happens you can purchase another seat and switch them out for when you want to have some hot mama sitting behind you. The seats are easy to change out in just a few minutes, but like Kenny said the Nightster isn't the best for 2-up riding. The suspension leaves a little to be desired there.

The only criticism I have of the Nightster is the factory solo seat. You'll probably want to do something with the seat after awhile to improve the comfort, but there are a lot of options out there for that. I love the looks of the factory seat so I sent mine off to have some additional padding added and it works great.

A friend of mine has a Street Bob with a few mods and we've gone out riding a few times. He likes to step on it so we've been over 100 mph out on the highway often enough. He was impressed with how well I stayed right up with him and that was before I added my pipes and Power Commander III. You won't be disappointed with the power.

If you really like the Nightster, I say buy it. If you decide you want to trade it in for another Harley later Harley has a great program that will help you do that. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Last edited by Wiot; 02-14-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hogwash
Well at least HD has an offer to trade up at full msrp next year. What do you have to loose, except taxes?

Now that you mention that. I read that on the HD website, but I don't think it would apply if I order it through the military sales program.

BTW the military sales program is a nice gesture but I am only saving about $600.00 on this bike so I am not pushing for it too much.

Also I think I get a tax free deal for being in the military and purchase in TN or KY where I am stationed.

Thanks for the idea. That is more stuff I need to figure out. But you are right with that sames MSRP deal is really not a complete loss at the years end.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Nightster!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wiot
Exactly. The Nightster is easy to control, has lots of power, and will do what you are looking for and more. Being 5'5" you should still be able to put both feet flat on the ground and it should feel real comfortable for you. The only thing you might "outgrow" is the desire to ride solo all the time. If that happens you can purchase another seat and switch them out for when you want to have some hot mama sitting behind you. The seats are easy to change out in just a few minutes, but like Kenny said the Nightster isn't the best for 2-up riding. The suspension leaves a little to be desired there.

The only criticism I have of the Nightster is the factory solo seat. You'll probably want to do something with the seat after awhile to improve the comfort, but there are a lot of options out there for that. I love the looks of the factory seat so I sent mine off to have some additional padding added and it works great.

A friend of mine has a Street Bob with a few mods and we've gone out riding a few times. He likes to step on it so we've been over 100 mph out on the highway often enough. He was impressed with how well I stayed right up with him and that was before I added my pipes and Power Commander III. You won't be disappointed with the power.

If you really like the Nightster, I say buy it. If you decide you want to trade it in for another Harley later Harley has a great program that will help you do that. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Thanks WIOT.
I meant to ask you on the other thread where I could get those pipes you have.

The look on your bike is very similar to what I want to achieve on mine. I want a full retro look witheverything as dull as possible. The factory exhaust leaves one wanting something else IMO.

I was hoping the Nightster could hold 240lbs. If it does then I guess my wife can get on it too. We both are kind of thin and short. hehehehe

Well, we are pretty fricking small 150 and 90lbs and I am a giant next to my wife. I actually have to look down to see her

Anyway

Thanks

Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 11:53 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightster!
Thanks

I had thought of that too. What I am planning to do is that when it is time for me to go on R&R(about July), I will be going to PR and will rent a nightster for a couple of days and ride it in PR. Granted, riding in PR is very much not even close to riding on open roads there are some stretches that I can use and get aquanted with it..

Also by riding it in PR I think will geive me a better sense of what it will be just because the speeds are much slower and the skill needs to be much higher.

I will definately be able to know if I can handle the bike or not then.

I think it is safe to presume that at slower speeds the control needs to be much higher for a small person like me than a stronger guy. Maybe I am wrong about this but that is how I think it through.

I am not planning on breaking the sound barrier with it you know, it is just to go 10 miles to work and come back everyday.

Also it gives me an excuse to go out to lunch instead of staying at the office.

WOW what boring *** newbie I am. I can't believe I just wrote all of this garbage.

I must be really ready to get this bike and shut TFU hehehehe

Thanks guys really. Made my day much shorter here in Afghan land. Thanks
I am 5'9'', 145, and have the mid controls with highway footpegs. I really like this setup, because I can stretch out once I'm on the highway, but feel more upright for twisties and city riding. Just something else for you to consider.....

I go 55-60 when on the 55 mph highway, and 65 when it's 65. I like cruising and playing on twisty roads, and commute to work 36 miles each way in the summer. I have a 2.25 gal peanut tank, and on long rides need to fill up at around 100 miles. That is about the time I want to get off and walk around for a few any way, so a bigger tank doesn't hold much use for me.

Get the bike you like, want, and feel comfortable on. Anyone who would badmouth or belittle your choice isn't worth riding with, but you'll also need to learn the difference between people joking and people actually belittling your ride. A couple of my friends give me grief for being on an 883, but it's in fun, and they actually really admire that old 883.

Pick what you like, ride it and ejnoy it. I know I'm totally missing riding right now, looking out the window and seeing snow on the ground.

Quick Reply: Growing out of it!!!