Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd class citizen

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
1200lady
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd class citizen

I was at a HD ladies garage party last nightand even the owner of the dealership said things that made me feel like my choice of bikes made me a 2nd class citizen. I have been riding for 39 years now and love my 1200 as she handles great on mtn roads and has plenty of zip. I am so tired of feeling like I am being put down not only for riding "only " a 1200 sporty but also the fact that she is a 1999. I am a recent retiree with limited income- happen to love my ride and see no reason to go into debt big time just to ride a new, bigger bike that I don't want or need. Beside, I am a Girl so see no reason to be bugged about riding a"girlie bike". What is wrong with everyone that they have to show off by being in debt?

Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
OrdinaryJoe
Advanced

1200lady -

You like your bike ? sod the dealer ! All he wants is for you to give him $$$ against a new heritage softail.

And ... you have a 99 sportster. That means carbs, a hard-mounted engine (no silent-blocks here) and more good vibes than the new tc96 bikes. So in a way your bike is more of a harley that a brand new tourer.

And .. when the twisty bits come, you can dance circles around any big twin. Now who's got the 'girly' bike ?

edit : I agree that there is no point in taking finance on a bike. If you can afford it, buy it. If you need to borrow, it need to be for a house.

Last edited by OrdinaryJoe; 02-13-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM
rdss
Road Captain

I agree the dealer just wants your money and doesn't care if the bike right for you or not. If your happy with what you got then who cares what anyone else thinks.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Comrade
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.... I'm 220 lbs. of raw man... And I'm going to buy me a bad *** Sportster Iron 883 and I'm proud of it... F the nay sayers...

Be proud of what you have... keep your head up and ride....

Old 02-13-2009, 12:38 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200lady
I was at a HD ladies garage party last nightand even the owner of the dealership said things that made me feel like my choice of bikes made me a 2nd class citizen. I have been riding for 39 years now and love my 1200 as she handles great on mtn roads and has plenty of zip. I am so tired of feeling like I am being put down not only for riding "only " a 1200 sporty but also the fact that she is a 1999. I am a recent retiree with limited income- happen to love my ride and see no reason to go into debt big time just to ride a new, bigger bike that I don't want or need. Beside, I am a Girl so see no reason to be bugged about riding a"girlie bike". What is wrong with everyone that they have to show off by being in debt?
Hey, at least you know what you like. Enjoy your bike and *&$^#& all the critics. Being in debt is a habit people got into when they should have been saving their money. Now they are finding out with the Barry O gang.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

I guess it depends on where you are and who you talk to. Nobody here treats me differently for riding a 1200 Sportster. The last HOG ride I went to, our Road Captain showed up on a Sportster and rode 2 up with he wife. Don't worry about what others think, you're not riding for them.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
shorts
Advanced

Have a 1200c myself and love it.screw them! i have friend sstell me to move up all the time.IIIIIIIIi dont want to!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 PM
LoneStarSkater
Cruiser

The Sportster is the longest running production model in the history of the MoCo... nuff said!!!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As everyone else has commented I wouldn't worry about what others say. The Dealer is just trying to get you into the endless cycle of upgrading and shelling out the $$$. If you are happy with your bike and there is nothing wrong with it why trade or buy a new one?

If you have recently retired then you are in the prime of your life go out and enjoy the ride and don't look back at the Nasayers.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
HDXXX
Road Captain

The wife and I ride two-up all over the place and mix with different bikes and "bikers" all the time. Nobody says anything. The people who have a problem are prolly riding for all the wrong reasons. Dealers use that line of bull all the time. Enjoy your bike it rocks!

Quick Reply: 2nd class citizen