Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also would first suspect the carb float. While you're dumping stuff in the tank, some Seafoam would be a good idea. It might just correct the sticking carb float, and it certainly won't hurt anything.

I run a tank of Seafoam treated gas after every oil change, just to help keep things clean. It's GOOD stuff.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn on the gas?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could certainly be a stuck float, but check the simple stuff first. No insult intended, but we all make mistakes and the bike is new to you. Is the enricher disengaged?
Even if the **** is in, is the butterfly actually fully open?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I had the same problem as soon as I brought my bike out of hibernation for this warm spell. Rode all morning on it, and as soon as I cracked the throttle wide open and started running hard, it would barely idle, and all I could smell was gas. The only difference was, it was leaking gas out the overflow line. First of all, +1 on the seafoam, that stuff dissolves varnish and any kind of debris that might be messing with the float level. Do you know where the bike's overflow line is? If the float in the fuel bowl is sticking pretty bad, you'll have a puddle of gas under your bike. It might not be as bad as mine though, so I would try tapping on the fuel bowl and seeing if you can unstick the float. If that doesn't work, find that overflow line and spray carb cleaner into it, and then start the bike up and while you've got it running, spray carb cleaner into the carb vent and keep the bike running while you do it. If that doesn't work, you're gonna have to pull the fuel bowl off. Usually only 4 screws, but be careful, mine were blue loctited from the factory, and I ended up having to cut straight screwdriver slots in two of the screws to get them out. Once in the carb, push up on your float gently and then turn the gas on, see if it's leaking through or not. That little needle valve should keep any gas from getting through. While you're in the bowl, carb clean the hell out of everything before you put it back together. Hope you get it fixed. this weather won't hold. Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 05xl1200r
yes its a 2005 Sportster 1200 Roadster 67xx miles and the carb was on it when i got it... its got a screaming eagle cover on it and the dealer i bought it from said it was a full screaming eagle carb. idk if its a mikuni or not

Im riding it and i pull in the clutch and it dies... and it wont start back up cause its flooded... and its not cause im twisting the throttle to try to get it started... it normally starts with just a crack of the throttle... i dont have to rip on the throttle to get it started.

I think it might be cause the person that road it back to san antonio for me put 87 in the tank instead of 91+ like its supposed to be... could this cause the problem?
Sounds like a sticking float in the carb.

Honestly, I would try throwing some carb cleaner in the fuel and running the bike for 40 or 50 miles on the highway. Vary your throttle position while you're running to help keep things moving in there.

I realize it isn't the *right* way to fix it, but it's cheap and easy. I've had pretty good luck with it, but it's not a magical cure-all. You will need to address why the float got sticky - I suspect there was at least one tank of gas that sat in the tank long enough to lay varnish on the fun parts.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
You just bought it, take it back to the dealer you got it from and let them get it right.
Right on!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely take it back to the dealer. That's the least they could do is to fix what they just sold you.....assuming they are honorable.