Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
AwfHand
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of extended warranty

Hey all,

I'm just wondering if anybody here has signed up for the extended warranty. My dad's '07 XL50 runs out of warranty this Spring and he's debating whether the 1500$ spent would cover what might go wrong or if they (HD) has enough exceptions written into the fine print that next to nothing would be covered or prorated to meaningless values.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:19 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got mine at the time of purchase just for my own peace of mind

Old 02-06-2009, 08:26 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on the warranty. I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my bike. Then became frustrated at how difficult it is to get even the original warranty honored.

I cancelled my extended warranty, took that money and purchased a service manual, a motorcycle jack, a few tools that I didn't have, and learned a new set of skills.

Even had enough money left from that for a good seat and free flowing air cleaner.

Last edited by SportyPig; 02-06-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
aokpops
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is just like gambling . I never buy extended warranties. so far it has paid off.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 PM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aokpops
it is just like gambling . I never buy extended warranties. so far it has paid off.

Yep... Could be invaluable.... Or could be worthless.... Just never know

Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 AM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with SportyPig.Getting a dealer to honor what came with the bike is tough enough.The dealer gets paid by Harley for warranty repairs but at a lower rate.If the warranty company is aftermarket the situation will be worse.You are always better off to take the warranty money and open a seperate account for it and save it for any needed repairs.It should not be used for tires,brakes,oil changes etc.Those are normal costs of owning a machine.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the 3 year extended warranty on my Deluxe and no extended warrantly on my Sportster. Well low and behold of course the Sportster had an electrical problem which cost me $360 to fix and the Deluxe has had no problems so far. My point is, the extended is an insurance policy and a bit of a gamble. I paid $999 for the 3 year on the Deluxe....one or two problems and I might make my money back...no problems and at least I had the peace of mind knowing Im covered. I also have the Hog Roadside assistance so if I ever break down, I can get towed for a small fee and get back on the road for the $50 deductable that the extended warranty requires. The warrantly is through Harley and supposed to be covered by the nearest dealership of where the breakdown occurs....

Old 02-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Simon UK
Tourer

Originally Posted by diablo666
I agree with SportyPig.Getting a dealer to honor what came with the bike is tough enough.
It depends on your dealer, I guess. I've not experienced problems with my dealer not wanting to honour the warranty.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:17 PM
EVO80
Road Captain

I have an extended warranty on my 04 RoadKing - bought the bike used and the previous owner had bought a 5 year extended warranty and had it transferred to me. I've had 5 warranty issues under the extended warranty including a blown rocker box gasket, leaking oil through the clutch cable and worn cams (which included replacing the cam, cam support plate, cam bearings, cam tensioners, lifters, oil pump and a few other items). The cost of the last repair pretty much exceeded the cost of the extended warranty.

I have two other HD's without any extended warranty. My feeling is if you buy it and don't use it you'll think it was a waste of money - if you have a major problem you'll think you were a genius for buying it.

BTW - I have not had a single issue with getting warranty work done either under the new bike warranty or during the extended warranty period - not one question about what I might have done to cause the problem, not one question on who did my regular maintenance, the oil used, frequency of changes, etc., etc. I've brought my bike in and they have always fixed it.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I Have it on my 06 1200C 3 years paid around a Grand got it from HD. Bought the Bike in 07 from a Sazuke Dealer Wholesaled the bike to me still had a year left on the orginal warranty. Got the Extended before the orginal factory ran out was less money . The Jap dealer diden't realize the bike still had a warranty on it . Was kind of pissed when I told him after it was mine. Guess he figured he could of got more for it. If you going buy a used bike Ck the build date on the tag by the the vin all so copy the vin call HD there is a number you can call to get a extented warranty tell them you bought the bike ask when it went in to service thy will tell you if it still has a warranty on it. You can allso ask the service Dept at a HD dealer ask him if your bike vin # that you just bought has Warranty They tell you whats left on the bike and what came on the bike from the factory by running the VIN.

Last edited by carlo; 02-08-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Value of extended warranty