Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo Keeps Blowing Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:32 PM
dguse
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Speedo Keeps Blowing Fuse

Hey starting about a mouth ago my speedo would start blowing a fuse i would replace it everything would be fine at idle but a would start riding for 5 minutes and the speedo and would lose power and quit working anyone got any ideas

Old 01-31-2009, 04:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If it's blowing the fuse you have a short circuit somewhere. This is often caused by chafed insulation on a wire. To speed up the process of checking the wires you're going to need the use the wiring diagram in the back of the Service Manual.

When asking for help, it's usually better if you include the year and model of your bike in the post.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:09 PM
dguse
Stage IV

sorry about that it is a 1998 XLH1200 i have checked all the wiring from the plug for the electric speedo connection to the speedometer, the fuse is the same one that the turn signal uses i changed to led lights and had to put in a module to adjust the power so they would blink is there any reason that this could be causing the short, thanks for the help

Old 01-31-2009, 08:35 PM
scotty-j
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

if the wires in the harness seem ok, just unplug the speedo and replace fuse then ride it for a while, if the fuse does not blow then there is a short inside the speedo housing itself.

how far back did you trace the wires from the speedo ?

if the fuse still blows then you have a wire that is causing the short, trace all the wires back till they terminate into another plug....first look at all wires that leave the top tube and go to the fork since that wire loom is moved and flexed when your steer ?

let us know what you find out and good luck.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the problem occurred after you installed the module, then remove it. Try running your bike with the original bulbs. If the problem reoccurs, you know to look else were. It is possible the module was defective or damaged before you got it.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 AM
GazzaTheBastard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Scotty, pull the plug from the back of the speedo and see what happens.
Note: your turn signals will not self cancel while that connector is disconnected, you'll
have to manually turn them back off. If the blowing goes away then you may have a
problem in the speedo or in the sensor cable or in the sensor itself. Power and ground
goes to the speed sensor in that three conductor cable between the speedo and the
tranny.

Chances are pretty good that the short is in the lighting circuit though and probably
has nothing to do with the speedo circuitry itself.

Gazza

Last edited by GazzaTheBastard; 02-01-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
dguse
Stage IV

thanks for all your help guys i went through all of the wiring for the lights, disconnect the badlands module, check all the wiring from the speedo to were it connects to speedo sensor and everything checked out i had the sensor replaced when this problem first started thinking that was the problem so i guess i am down to the speedo it self is there any thing i can do other than buying a new one or is that it and thanks again for all the help