Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Letting out the clutch in 1st

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 AM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ripto
When would you say you typically let it out fully when accelerating normally from a stop?
Of course you do....as soon as possible without stalling or jerking your bike. You ever hear of the expression "riding your clutch" ? If this was a car you would have burned out your clutch by now. Slow speeds feathering is one thing but holding it in throught the gears is nuts!!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandog
Of course you do....as soon as possible without stalling or jerking your bike. You ever hear of the expression "riding your clutch" ? If this was a car you would have burned out your clutch by now. Slow speeds feathering is one thing but holding it in throught the gears is nuts!!!!
Exactly...thread closed.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 AM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandog

Ouch, alright. Is there any damage being done to the clutch if say I'm coasting to a light and instead of giving it a little constant gas just to get all the way up to the line/next car I just hold the clutch in completely and let it coast? No, right?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:56 PM
ripto
Road Master

Went out for a quick ride. I can't see letting the clutch completely out by 5 mph unless before I even move I give such a big amount of throttle. I noticed and I tend to hold onto the clutch until about 10-15 mph. I'll still give it a try though, I just wanted to check it quick today.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM
spikeofwoolsey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ripto.....from LI also,,,,,East Meadow here. When the weather gets better, lets meet up for a ride.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Mandog
Road Master

Originally Posted by spikeofwoolsey
Hey ripto.....from LI also,,,,,East Meadow here. When the weather gets better, lets meet up for a ride.
I actually grew up in good old East Meadow....right off Prospect Ave

Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
ripto
Road Master

Originally Posted by spikeofwoolsey
Maybe you could teach me a few pointers lol

Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Mandog
Road Master

Originally Posted by ripto
Maybe you could teach me a few pointers lol

Lol .... Mables Bar? Port Jeff? 7-11 exit 68? Greenport?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
ripto
Road Master

Any place is good for me really. I'm at my dad's in Sound Beach during school and out in Cutchogue during the summer.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:05 AM
jdvorchak
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I am at idle and when the lite turns green as soon as I hit the friction point I start advancing the throttle. You may be reving the engine more than you need to and that will cause you to slip the clutch more than necessary. So the feeling you want to have is the clutch goes out and the throttle advances at the same time. Idealy your rpms should never go up then down. Just a steady going up. Your clutch should be fully out by the time your legs come off the ground and on to the pegs. These bikes have a lot more low end torgue than you think and really kind of hard to kill off the line even at idle. It's one smooth continuous motion. The clutch goes out and the throttle comes on in one smooth motion. If you rev the engine then start releasing the clutch you're doing it wrong.

Quick Reply: Letting out the clutch in 1st