Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re packed steering head bearings today

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Default Re packed steering head bearings today

Not that bad of a job if you have a jack, supposed to be done @ 20K did mine @ 18K. They were'nt hurting for grease but did'nt have any to much now they have plenty. I jacked it high enough to get the forks and wheel off as an assembly, tied the caliper out of the way, left the bars and the riser on the triple clamp, just pulled the whole thing off where the pinch bolt is and set it back on the tank, with towells of course, tied the headlight out of the way, pack the bearings, 2 new seals and back together. Pre load bearings, torque everything, adjust headlight, go ridin. Took about 2.5 hours not hurrying

Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm sure I should do it but it just seems like those bearings going back and forth instead of around and around should never wear out or break down the grease, I wonder how may bikes go thru their whole life with the original grease?

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 PM
kelton3
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Packing the steering head bearings, and wheel bearings are the only recommended service I have not done. Everything else is pretty easy. I just replaced the fork oil last week.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I greased the steering head bearings on my Softail last week.

Step 1; Get grease gun.

Step 2; Pump grease in until it starts to flow out of the steering head.

Step 3; Wipe off excessive grease and put grease gun away...

Total Time; 45 seconds.....

Sorry, couldn't resist, but it's so much easier when there is a $0.50 grease fitting installed right on the steering head....

But as far as the Sportsters.......

When I first got my 2005 1200C (which had around 4,000 miles on the clicker), one of the first things my mechanic friend did was to check the steering head bearings, and what he found didn't surprise him.

The "factory lube" was some type of very light grease/oil, and not the normal type of marine lube you would assume would be used on a bearing. After repacking the bearing with a quality grease he said I should be good to go for at least 40,000 miles...

Not sure if it is just a 'hit or miss' thing, but he said that the factory steering head lubrication on many of the new bikes is really lacking.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

That's what I did to mine when I had the front forks off, put a grease fitting in. lol BIG help

Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the one maintenance thing I've put off. So far, no problems. Maybe I got a good lube job from the factory. 49,000 miles, still good. But this is on my SHORT list of things to get to.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I greased the steering head bearings on my Softail last week.

Step 1; Get grease gun.

Step 2; Pump grease in until it starts to flow out of the steering head.

Step 3; Wipe off excessive grease and put grease gun away...

Total Time; 45 seconds.....

Sorry, couldn't resist, but it's so much easier when there is a $0.50 grease fitting installed right on the steering head....
Mine Softail took a little bit longer. Around 35 hits with the grease gun to get resistance, then another 10 before grease flowed out of the steering head. I don't think Harley greased them at the factory.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 PM
kenleissler
6th Gear

I like the idea of grease fittings. Where on the neck should the grease fitting go? Do I have to take anything apart to put the grease fitting in? Do I have to take anything apart to grease the front end with the fitting in place? Will I blow out the seals if I put to much in? Are you just filling up the neck with grease? How do you know its full? Sorry for the laundry list, this just sounds like a good idea.

Thanks,
Ken

Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorkman
Mine Softail took a little bit longer. Around 35 hits with the grease gun to get resistance, then another 10 before grease flowed out of the steering head. I don't think Harley greased them at the factory.
I think you are right (about very little factory grease)...

First time I did my FatBoy it also took a bunch of 'pumps' before it started to flow out of the steering head.

I usually check it every few months (just for the heck of it I guess) as it never really needs any grease. Less than a 'pump' and it's already flowing out.

But I ride in a lot of heavy rain so I figure it doesn't hurt to check it every once in a while to make sure nothing has washed out....

Old 01-28-2009, 06:30 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

well it required drilling and tapping a hole, so I would HIGHLY recommend taking the front end off. I got my grease fitting from autozone, and it doesn't matter where on your stem you put it, the grease will fill the empty space completely before it starts oozing out.

Quick Reply: Re packed steering head bearings today